Kenny Miller Recall?

Gordopolis

Miller was suited to the way we played. We do not play the same way now and are better suited with someone like Naismith/Fletcher/Rhodes. Naismith simply has to be first choice for me.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Miller was suited to the way we played. We do not play the same way now and are better suited with someone like Naismith/Fletcher/Rhodes. Naismith simply has to be first choice for me.

I'd agree we're suited to Naismith's style. Ironically, Naismith is the closest to Miller we have (in that he works his ar*e off and is a constant pest - though he is technically better than Miller). Again, I'd agree that Naismith is probably the best of the bunch at the moment, but it's slim pickings - he's only top choice because he's scored a handful of goals in the EPL (9 in 36) where he has been used as something of a utility man by Everton, and for Scotland, 3 in 29 is p1sh, even by Scotland standards (even Darren Jackson had a better record than that!)

Not sure WGS would agree Rhodes suits our style - a big shame IMO. And Fletcher has yet to show anything to get excited about in a Scotland shirt.

Just realised Chris Martin hasn't had a mention in this thread. I thought he was okay in his run-out vs Nigeria, but I didn't see any sparks of greatness (like in Anya's early games).

There's nothing wrong with him saying that he would play if Scotland were desperate, who wouldn't?

I can't however envisage a situation where we'd be so short of strikers that we would need to call him up.

Really? In 12 years as a professional footballer he's hit 20+ twice. Hardly regular

Bit harsh/misleading to say 12 years, he was 15 years old 12 years ago.

For the record he's hit 19+ in 3 of his 6 Championship seasons (23, 5, 4, 19, 8, 29), and in one of those seasons he only started 6 matches. Quality player at that level when he's full fit.

There's nothing wrong with him saying that he would play if Scotland were desperate, who wouldn't?
I can't however envisage a situation where we'd be so short of strikers that we would need to call him up.

That's the thing. He's never going to turn down a call, and never did in the latter part of his career, even when he got dog's abuse whenever he came on.

However, he absolutely should not be called up. He had the perfect ending to his career, and can now stand back on that. If he came back now, it would stink o desperation, and I'm not convinced it would be anything other than a disaster.

I would be open to recalling him for an important fixture, but only if:

Steven Naismith

Steven Fletcher

Ross McCormack

Jordan Rhodes

Chris Martin

Leigh Griffiths

Tony Watt

Craig Mackail-smith

Jamie Mackie

Kris Boyd

were all out injured.

And Stevie May.

And Stevie May.

Who should be above several of them anyway. I don't get this clamour over Tony Watt. What's the lead ever actually proves, other than the fact he has an abysmal attitude and temperament that is simply not suited to top level football, if at all. Sure he might be a decent player one day, but other than living of that one goal, he's proved bugger all.

Have a look at some of the footage from his loan term last year. He's powerful, quick, and scores goals.

Agreed, but his attitude reeks. He's been totally self-destructive since his Barca goal (nearly two years ago).

I'm convinced he's headed for the 'where did it all go wrong' pile/mountain of Scottish players who looked great in their breakthrough years.

We're actually in a rare situation for Scotland where we have quite a few really good strikers doing well. Huge fan of Mcormack over the last couple of years, Naismith is doing braw, Jordan Rhodes is a player, May doing well and more. I think the headline has lead to a little misconception,. he's just saying he couldn't turn us down if desperate. We won't be so it's not an issue

If Miller was the sort of guy who banged away the very occasional chances that fall to Scotland strikers a high percentage of the time, then yes. But he's never been that sort of player. He's done his bit and run himself into the ground for the jersey, but he's never been a great chance-taker. So, no.

Will be interesting to see how Watt gets on at Standard Liege. They only just missed out on the Belgian title last season and have a decent chance of playing quite a few games in Europe this season (more likely Europa as they won't be seeded for the CL 4th qualifying round), so if Watt does make an impact he could well force his way back into the Scotland set up.

I totally agree that he's had a pretty poor attitude and there are question marks over his fitness and temprament, but hopefully now that he's getting a bit older, he'll improve his attitude. Also, if you look purely at his goals-to-starts ratio – see Soccerbase – it's pretty impressive for both Celtic and Lierse. Obviously, you have to question why he hasn't had more starts, which seems to be down to the problems mentioned above, but if he could get settled with Standard Liege and get a few games, there's a fair chance he'll score goals.

Fingers crossed, because it would be good to have a couple of young Scots doing well outside the UK!

Will be interesting to see how Watt gets on at Standard Liege. They only just missed out on the Belgian title last season and have a decent chance of playing quite a few games in Europe this season (more likely Europa as they won't be seeded for the CL 4th qualifying round), so if Watt does make an impact he could well force his way back into the Scotland set up.

I totally agree that he's had a pretty poor attitude and there are question marks over his fitness and temprament, but hopefully now that he's getting a bit older, he'll improve his attitude. Also, if you look purely at his goals-to-starts ratio – see Soccerbase – it's pretty impressive for both Celtic and Lierse. Obviously, you have to question why he hasn't had more starts, which seems to be down to the problems mentioned above, but if he could get settled with Standard Liege and get a few games, there's a fair chance he'll score goals.

Fingers crossed, because it would be good to have a couple of young Scots doing well outside the UK!

True - have to say I didn't see the move to SL coming. They must have seen something special in him to offer him a 5 year deal. Really hope he proves me and all his doubters wrong and, as you say, he and Gauld give us a reason to check the Belgian and Portuguese league results each weekend :)

Awful, awful, awful idea. See also: David Weir vs Holland a few years back.

One of the issues with Scotland over the years is not picking the right players, or rather picking the same shite and inexplicably leaving certain others out. Frankly I think Miller had too long with Scotland and should have been phased out much sooner. Aye the guy is a good pro and had the right attitude, but where it counted, in terms of goals, he didn't do it enough.

Other countries haven't been afraid to empty loads of players and bring in younger (and better) players and get them playing together so that they become a good unit. We're heading towards the right direction, but there's still too many 'strange' decisions about who is playing and who isn't even getting picked (and I hate to bang out about it and I know loads of others have said it, but to not even have picked Stevie May for a friendly is ludicrous; he might be shit for Scotland, or he might smash in a hattrick, but until he's given a chance we'll never know). There's still too much of an emphasis of guys playing down South who qualify through grandparents and parents but who for me just aren't good enough.

I'd have Miller ahead of Watt in the pecking order at the moment if I'm honest. Other than the ones mentioned so far though, I'd expect and hope the likes of Marc McNulty and Watt to do well at their clubs this season and leapfrog Miller who is at the very bottom of the barrel when you consider some of the names mentioned in this thread.

Archived