Kenny Miller Recall?

Gordopolis

The gossip bit on the BBC sport website suggests KM is open to an SOS recall if Scotland need him:

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/scottish/gossip/

I'm torn about the possibility. He was a good all-rounder without being spectacular at any one aspect of his game (bar work rate), did a good job for us and then his retirement seemed nicely timed. I did wonder though if he could have been useful as an experienced sub or starter in a few games for another campaign.

If Naismith, Fletcher, Rhodes, Griffiths or someone of that ilk had come in since his retirement and absolutely stolen the show, then I wouldn't be posting this. Truth is, each of them have looked very average with the exception of an inspired game and a half from Naismith in the last couple of WC qualifiers. So, would Kenny Miller be a useful addition to the squad for the upcoming campaign?

I think he could be, but only in a bit-part role.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The gossip bit on the BBC sport website suggests KM is open to an SOS recall if Scotland need him:

I'm torn about the possibility. He was a good all-rounder without being spectacular at any one aspect of his game (bar work rate), did a good job for us and then his retirement seemed nicely timed. I did wonder though if he could have been useful as an experienced sub or starter in a few games for another campaign.

If Naismith, Fletcher, Rhodes, Griffiths or someone of that ilk had come in since his retirement and absolutely stolen the show, then I wouldn't be posting this. Truth is, each of them have looked very average with the exception of an inspired game and a half from Naismith in the last couple of WC qualifiers. So, would Kenny Miller be a useful addition to the squad for the upcoming campaign?

If you mean should every other striker in Scotland get injured then yes I agree. He did really well for Scotland over the years but it's time to let go.

Because Rangers offered him a deal. Do you think clubs like Aberdeen or Dundee united would not have been interested in him?

He was available because he got released by one of the poorest teams in MLS. Those clubs might have been interested, but he wouldn't have been the star man at either, and being a mediocre Premiership player isn't something that gets you a Scotland call-up.

We have at least 10 strikers who are better than Miller and are playing at a higher level. There would be literally no value in bringing him back.

He was available because he got released by one of the poorest teams in MLS. Those clubs might have been interested, but he wouldn't have been the star man at either, and being a mediocre Premiership player isn't something that gets you a Scotland call-up.

We have at least 10 strikers who are better than Miller and are playing at a higher level. There would be literally no value in bringing him back.

Don't know how you've come to that conclusion. Barry Robson was a star for Aberdeen last season and has had a similar recent career trajectory to Miller.

I think he could still have something to offer in a game that requires a bit of experience. I'm talking about a last ten minutes type role in a pressure game where we need to keep or take a result. He might well offer something in terms of coaching too (seems he's taking his badges).

Horrendous shout. This is the sort of sentimental nonsense that would hold Scotland back: let's give the old guard one more shot, 'cause of their experience.

No. Nothing to do with nostalgia or sentimentality (for example, i don't think we should call up McFadden for a few sympathy caps to get him over the 50 mark). Purely because i think Miller might have a few drops of fuel still left in the tank and because he does have experience (which is a useful asset).

ETA: how do people feel about Kris Boyd getting into the upcoming campaign? And if Miller outperforms him at Championship level - what then?

Don't know how you've come to that conclusion. Barry Robson was a star for Aberdeen last season and has had a similar recent career trajectory to Miller.

I think he could still have something to offer in a game that requires a bit of experience. I'm talking about a last ten minutes type role in a pressure game where we need to keep or take a result. He might well offer something in terms of coaching too (seems he's taking his badges).

Barry Robson was good for Aberdeen (though he did only start 20 league games), but he certainly wasn't their standout player. Nobody was crying out for him to be in the Scotland squad either

Naismith's been excellent since Strachan took over IMO. I was once a big critic of his performances for Scotland but he's been superb lately.

No, he has been a good servant to Scotland over the years but the timing was right for him to go out as previously mentioned.

Surprised the OP hasn't mentioned Ross McCormack despite the fact he has been regularly banging in over 20 goals at a much higher level than Miller. Don't know what he has to do to get a game for Scotland.

how do people feel about Kris Boyd getting into the upcoming campaign? And if Miller outperforms him at Championship level - what then?

Kris Boyd should be nowhere near the Scotland squad for this qualifying campaign.

No, he has been a good servant to Scotland over the years but the timing was right for him to go out as previously mentioned.

Surprised the OP hasn't mentioned Ross McCormack despite the fact he has been regularly banging in over 20 goals at a much higher level than Miller. Don't know what he has to do to get a game for Scotland.

McCormack isn't as good as Naismith up front, and isn't as good as the various players who play in the wide roles or behind the striker.

McCormack has had a pretty hard time of it Scotland-wise. That said, before last season, he hadn't hit the twenty mark for 4 or 5 years. Still, he deserves a place in the squad IMO (along with a selection of the other 4 I mentioned).

I'm not in the slightest bit surprised by the response to this thread. That was my initial response too - it was when the idea settled and had a chance to brew I thought there might be some mileage in having a vastly experienced frontman like him as an option. Remember the Norway game last season where we were down to 1 or 2 forwards due to injury etc - someone like Miller would have been a good shout to come in.

Ideal world would be that we don't need him because Griffths, McCormack, Rhodes, Fletcher and Naismith are all on fire next season, and Stevie May continues to score for fun and force his way in too. Realistically, some of those guys will have good seasons, some will be mediocre and some will be injured/well-off form (like Steven F last year).

Really? In 12 years as a professional footballer he's hit 20+ twice. Hardly regular

Archived