Queen of the South vs Livingston

palmy_cammy

Shambles of a defensive performance and massive amount of improvement required.

True a lot of first players missing but only Higgings to come in at the back. Bomb scare defending for all four goals.

At two nil the game should have been over then they gifted one back straight away and Livingston looked the most likely winners from their in.

McIntyre then subbed Queens best two performers for Lyle and young Smith bizarre!

In fact the whole back 5 were shocking especially Kidd and Durnan.

Good luck to Livingston they deserved the win kept going well and looked fitter than Queens.

Worrying injury list growing with Paton going off with hamstring pull.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Shambles of a defensive performance and massive amount of improvement required.

True a lot of first players missing but only Higgings to come in at the back. Bomb scare defending for all four goals.

At two nil the game should have been over then they gifted one back straight away and Livingston looked the most likely winners from their in.

McIntyre then subbed Queens best two performers for Lyle and young Smith bizarre!

In fact the whole back 5 were shocking especially Kidd and Durnan.

Good luck to Livingston they deserved the win kept going well and looked fitter than Queens.

Worrying injury list growing with Paton going off with hamstring pull.

And Mitchell. I like Kidd but he was really poor at right back today

Delighted with the result and how well our new signings did, McKenna had a big step up from the juniors but looks like he can handle it, and Hippolyte is also a good prospect and looks dangerous. Wee Mullen has started far better than I thought he would, has potential to do really well for us this season.

Good tough game to get us up and running and a bonus to get through to the next round.

Sigh... How did that happen, we were two up and looking like a very comfortable win. the we conceded a terrible goal and the game changed completely. The defending at times was truly terrible. We looked good going forward with Danny playing well as well as McShane who looked a different class at times. But that was one of the worst defensive performances in a while, the there was a period where Kidd played two suicidal passes that Livi should have done better with. Livi's first and 4th goal were very similar with non existent marking at the back post.

I thought our attacking players were good and our goals were pretty good, paton was lively before his inevitable hamstring issue, but I don't really know why McIntyre took off McShane when we are paper thin in midfield. He should have swapped Fowler and Kidd around as Kidd was pretty hapless defensively, communication was non existent at times. Livingston weren't particularly outstanding going forward but they didn't need to be but they kept going and more certainly more resiliant than Queens. O'Brien and Mullen were their best players but I'm not convinced about their centre forwards. But it's a diddy cup anyways.

Lion-King.gif

Also what is Danny doing with his shorts, he has obviously been watching too much Cristiano Ronaldo and Alexis Sanchez.

Wow what an entertaining game to start the season! The game had just about everything. Offensively we looked really good but defensively we were utterly awful.

Negatives

• Zander Clark was nervy throughout which is unlike him. Could maybe have done better at a few of their goals.
  • Kidd was an indescribable level of bad defensively! He did put in some decent crosses though, but this game showed how important Mitchell is.
  • Paton after having a great game seems like he may have pulled his hammy which could well mean a spell on the sidelines.

Positives

• McShane had his best game in a Queens shirt. (Why sub him?)
  • Paton and Russell looked very threatening, and wee Danny showed glimpses of his old form.
  • Kev the American hit some lovely passes, and might be ready for action after acclimatising to Scottish football

Livi were miles better than last season and John McGlynn looks like he has recruited smartly. McKenna had a very good game considering where he came from and the subs White and Hippolyte were very impressive when they came on.

'Lack of communication' sums up how we lost our goals today. For the first, I heard Dowie shouting for the header. If Kidd had listened, the ball would have been headed away by Dowie and the danger was over. Instead he went for it and flicked it for the Livi boy to swing in. The second was between Kidd and Zander. The 3rd was any one of the defenders' fault, possibly excluding Holt. The fourth was just awful.

It's no surprise all our conceded goals came from the right side. Kidd was just awful defensively unfortunately.

Had I been told beforehand, that by tonight we'd be out of the challenge cup I'd have been pretty content tbh. The way in which we lost was pretty concerning though. We had a few good players out though so I'll give it time before I renew by Breathing Space subscription.

McShane was excellent today and should never have been subbed. As good as I've seen him, hopefully this is the year he really shines.

'Lack of communication' sums up how we lost our goals today. For the first, I heard Dowie shouting for the header. If Kidd had listened, the ball would have been headed away by Dowie and the danger was over. Instead he went for it and flicked it for the Livi boy to swing in. The second was between Kidd and Zander. The 3rd was any one of the defenders' fault, possibly excluding Holt. The fourth was just awful.

It's no surprise all our conceded goals came from the right side. Kidd was just awful defensively unfortunately.

Had I been told beforehand, that by tonight we'd be out of the challenge cup I'd have been pretty content tbh. The way in which we lost was pretty concerning though. We had a few good players out though so I'll give it time before I renew by Breathing Space subscription.

McShane was excellent today and should never have been subbed. As good as I've seen him, hopefully this is the year he really shines.

The defence and goalkeeper played as if none had ever played together.Very strange and worrying for season ahead.

At 2 nil the game should have been won, the subs were bizarre with none of those that came on doing anything, the best team won. If nothing else this proved that we need to be playing two up top and pressing.

McShane was probably the best player on the park until he was withdrawn :wacko: Big season ahead for him.

At 2 nil the game should have been won, the subs were bizarre with none of those that came on doing anything, the best team won. If nothing else this proved that we need to be playing two up top and pressing.

McShane was probably the best player on the park until he was withdrawn :wacko: Big season ahead for him.

Does it? We might only have played one striker but we had four forwards. Two of them scored and one of the others, Carmichael, was an attacking threat throughout

Meant to add. I forgot how much comedy you can get at a fitba game. Palmerston being especially good.

The QoS fans cheer Paton bringing the game level and less than a minute later he pulls up with a strained hamstring, at which point a shout comes from the crowd (directed at McIntyre I imagine) "Well done! Why bother signing yet another player with a dodgy hamstring?!" XD

I think it's literally the quickest I have ever seen a QoS player go from hero to villan!

McShane was excellent today but was running on empty when he came off. Remember he had surgery five weeks ago and missed the stamina part of pre-season work. He will need some time to get fully fit yet especially on such a hot day.

Defending today was catastrophic latterly. We ended up getting what we deserved but for an hour we were well on top despite being without Baird, Mitchell, Higgins, Kerr, McKenna, Burns, most of whom probably start if available. Not quite time to panic yet.

Diddy cup or not (it wasnt diddy cup for you lot 2 seasons ago) that was a tremendous and unexpected victory, we showed great fighting spirit from what looked a hopeless situation to come back from 2 down and win the game.

Think McKenna is a real find, considering he's made a huge step up from the juniors he looks comfortable at this level, and will cause a few problems for teams this season, up top we now have a few different options, we have pace with Mullen and Hippolyte, we also have strength and height with white and Ogelby and Glen look handy, plenty options put it that way.

Anyway delighted to win from that position and it was a good way to start the season with basically a new sqaud of players.

Diddy cup or not (it wasnt diddy cup for you lot 2 seasons ago)

A cup final is a cup final, they don't exactly come around very often for teams like ours. FWIW though, I can remember heading to the final against Partick and stating to my company that I really wasn't excited. Don't get me wrong I got into it such was the game, but in general I think it's a completely pointless competition. As I said, I'm happy we don't have to waste anymore time in this cup this year. The biggest disappointment from today was our performance, I'm far more concerned with that rather than the fact we are out!

A cup final is a cup final, they don't exactly come around very often for teams like ours. FWIW though, I can remember heading to the final against Partick and stating to my company that I really wasn't excited. Don't get me wrong I got into it such was the game, but in general I think it's a completely pointless competition. As I said, I'm happy we don't have to waste anymore time in this cup this year. The biggest disappointment from today was our performance, I'm far more concerned with that rather than the fact we are out!

The board will be concerned we are out cup runs last two seasons difference between making a loss and breaking even or small profit.

Archived