Clyde v Ayr

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Few hairy moments but overall very comfortable. Ayr's number 11 impressed me but overall they were pretty poor. Like the look of Sinclair, McManus took his goal well and Gray was solid.

ETA: Durie was good too. Tough time of it off aforementioned Ayr winger but he coped well overall and was good going forward.

It was a well deserved win for Clyde against what was an absolutely atrocious Ayr side in all honesty. The first half was excellent, the most enjoyable half I've seen in a good while, and Barry Ferguson looks to have us set up to play quick, counter attacking football which is how we grabbed both of our goals.

Of the new signings, I thought that Durie was probably the best of the bunch. Looks like he enjoys rampaging down the wing and delivered a fair few excellent crosses. David Gray was solid and McManus looks to have something about him as well. Davie Sinclair broke up Ayr attacks really well and looks like he'll be an important cog in that midfield - he should have scored though, when he fluffed a great Scott McManus cutback miles wide. McManus should've also got himself a second goal, whacking the ball over the bar after initially doing really well to get into a shooting position in the first place. Overall though it was a positive performance from the whole team.

The second half was pretty much a write off, really. Ayr Utd came into the game a bit more and forced Jamie Barclay into a few good saves early on, but Clyde still looked pretty comfortable throughout and dealt with Ayr easily enough even when they put us under a bit of pressure. Their midfield - particularly the two in the middle - were non existent for the whole game...Brian Gilmore looks like he's regressed badly since he played for us in his early 20's. Your left winger (McGill?) was dangerous and looks like a decent player, but sadly the rest of the squad were underwhelming to say the least. On that showing it looks like it could be a long season for you, but best of luck anyway.

How has Murphy looked? Although probably unfair to completely judge him if we are playing so badly on his first start!

I thought him and McArthur did ok together. Both full backs had poor games and they were both having to scramble across to try cover them.

Clyde's first goal came from either an Ayr corner or free kick(i can't really remember) where we had committed a few forward. Clyde counter attacked it brilliantly and scored.

Second goal was a penalty and from where i was sitting looked like a dive. I'd like to see it again, but it was only 5 mins after same player had already dived looking for a penalty so it's hard to give him the benefit of the doubt.

Clyde had a rake of chances 1st half though, the right back had an excellent half bombing forward and whipping crosses in. Also the lad who won the penalty was running riot. He stood out on the left wing unmarked for the majority of the game. Whenever Devlin eventually closed him down he would just skip by him with ease.

It was an interesting formation from Clyde. Sort of a 4-2-1-3 with the front 3 being a left winger and two centre forwards but it certainly worked. I thought Clydes front two played well and probably should have scored more first half.

2nd half Ayr were a lot better and had a lot of the ball and created a few chances but Clyde proved hard to break down and we were just far too toothless. What was with all the short corners also? Didn't work any of the times we tried it and usually ended up not getting the cross in. McGill had an excellent 2nd half and was our main creative force.

McLaughlin and Gilmour were poor all game and Gilmour was eventually hauled off for McKinlay with Donald slotting into centre mid.

Also the lad who won the penalty was running riot. He stood out on the left wing unmarked for the majority of the game. Whenever Devlin eventually closed him down he would just skip by him with ease.

Livingston had a bid rejected for him earlier in the transfer window, now he's signed up on a two-year deal.

A two goal margin was about right today. Clyde thoroughly deserved their goals and maybe another in the 1st; we probably deserved one in the 2nd half. Ultimately, it was utterly dreadful though. Most non-existent central midfield performance I can remember.

I just about saw enough in the 2nd half to not be totally despondent, but only just. Massive improvement, and another couple of bodies, needed.

Positives were definitely McGill's second half performance and I do think Murphy will be a class act. Although he played a big part in their first by not just shielding the ball out for a throw on the touchline. McKinlay looked up for it when he came on and was actually vocal, unlike most others, including our captain.

The lad Ferguson ripped us apart, he'll step a level soon no bother. Maybe with Clyde, as I reckon they'll be in with a shout this year.

I quite enjoyed watching us today; good movement and intensity early on. There obviously needs to be a better pattern of play when we start to tire (we consistently made poor decisions in the second half) but that'll come. Need to be careful not to get caught out in the full back positions as well.

Gray looks a decent footballer but he doesn't cut off the space in front of the centre halves well enough at this stage. That'll be something he can improve on though as he's not played that position much, McManus showed plenty of good movement and although he missed the second chance he showed plenty of composure in doing so. Watt started off well and played a full part in the first half display but I think he gave it away every time he had it after the break. Plenty to work on and much bigger tests ahead.

Ayr were absolutely rank. Half of the team couldn't be bothered. The number 3 was much better in midfield than he was at full back. They're going to struggle to finish anywhere near Peterhead and Stirling without another 4 or 5 good additions.

I would still rather have McGhee in front Durie at the moment. Often in the second half Durie got attracted to the ball and was diving in when it was not needed.

Very impressed with how we are setting up though. The ball getting played into the strikers feet and bringing our wingers into play as often as possible was a joy to watch.

Reckon Cowdenbeath will be a better test for us but I'm sure we can push them and maybe nick the result.

I quite enjoyed watching us today; good movement and intensity early on. There obviously needs to be a better pattern of play when we start to tire (we consistently made poor decisions in the second half) but that'll come. Need to be careful not to get caught out in the full back positions as well.

Gray looks a decent footballer but he doesn't cut off the space in front of the centre halves well enough at this stage. That'll be something he can improve on though as he's not played that position much, McManus showed plenty of good movement and although he missed the second chance he showed plenty of composure in doing so. Watt started off well and played a full part in the first half display but I think he gave it away every time he had it after the break. Plenty to work on and much bigger tests ahead.

Ayr were absolutely rank. Half of the team couldn't be bothered. The number 3 was much better in midfield than he was at full back. They're going to struggle to finish anywhere near Peterhead and Stirling without another 4 or 5 good additions.

Absolutely spot on M8 :(

I love how Peter Price thinks his opinion of the game is so much better than everyone else's lol

I don't. I'm just not into hammering the team after one game. I agreed with most posters that 1st half we were awful and 2nd half we were alright. I'm trying to cling onto some positives for next week lol.

Archived