LL Clubs in the Scottish Cup - 2014-15

HibeeJibee

Scottish Cup Preliminary draw is 11:15am tomorrow say some club tweets, with 5 Lowland clubs involved.

Just a reminder of who enters when:

Pre - Dalbeattie, Ed City, Ed Uni, Gala, Vale

R1 - EK, Gretna, Preston, Selkirk, Threave, Whitehill

R2 - Spartans, Stirling

(Of course BSCG aren't in at all)

LL clubs will want to avoid Auchinleck, Bo'ness and Hurlford (champion Juniors), and Lothian Thistle (EOSL champion), plus Cove Rangers of the HL.... After that it is a fairly decent field, though the likes of Wigtown (who romped the SOSL) and Culter (another Junior) are capable.

There's also lucrative 6 random byes.

Full draw make-up:

Preliminary Round (8 ties + 6 byes):

Highland League (2) - Cove Rangers, Fort William

Lowland League (5) - Dalbeattie Star, Edinburgh City, Edinburgh University, Gala Fairydean Rovers, Vale of Leithen

Clubs from the Non Professional Game:

EOS League (5) - Burntisland Shipyard, Civil Service Strollers, Coldstream, Hawick Royal Albert, Lothian Thistle Hutchison Vale*

SOS League (3) - Newton Stewart, St Cuthbert Wanderers, Wigtown & Bladnoch

North Caledonian League (1) - Golspie Sutherland

Juniors (5) - Auchinleck Talbot*, Bo'ness United*, Culter*, Girvan, Hurlford United^

Amateurs (1) - Glasgow University

*qualified as a league champion

^qualified as a cup champion

Incidentally, Glasgow University are apparently playing their games at Firhill Stadium this season, so that could be a nice trip. I guess Edinburgh University may relocate a home tie if the new university stadium is still unfinished come Saturday 16th August, which is the Preliminary date.

Who decides when a team enters? Surely likes of edinburgh city who have been in it for years should start after likes of gretna who have never played in it since they were formed

And there's the can of worms opened............

Cue Cicero

we're in the preliminary round because we're still working on our club licence application.

We're trying to do things the right way and there's a hell of a lot of work involved in the licencing application for a small committee. And we're still deciding where to put the guide dog toilet...

Who decides when a team enters? Surely likes of edinburgh city who have been in it for years should start after likes of gretna who have never played in it since they were formed

Licensed clubs are exempt from any preliminary ties.

As a result the unlicensed clubs have to play the preliminary ties to reach R1, or "the competition proper" if you're auldskool.

Furthermore, the top 4 non-league clubs in Scotland (i.e. top 2 in each of HL & LL) enter at R2.

And there's the can of worms opened............

Cue Cicero

I'm getting to recognise a fishing expedition now. I don't bite as readily as I used to. Only for Dal These days, He seems to see a bite When others don't.

Licensed

Furthermore, the top 4 non-league clubs in Scotland (i.e. top 2 in each of HL & LL) enter at R2.

Now that's the kind of statement that's likely to get a bite from some quarters.

Licensed clubs are exempt from any preliminary ties.

As a result the unlicensed clubs have to play the preliminary ties to reach R1, or "the competition proper" if you're auldskool.

Thanks

I'm getting to recognise a fishing expedition now. I don't bite as readily as I used to. Only for Dal These days, He seems to see a bite When others don't.

you'll be calling me Suarez next Cicero!! ;)

Lothian Thistle HV v Burntisland Shipyard

Auchinleck Talbots v St Cuthbert Wanderers

Hurlford United v Edinburgh University

Glasgow University v Cove Rangers

Vale of Leithen v Gala Fairydean Rovers

Newtown Stewart v Hawick Royal Albert

Edinburgh City v Fort William

Wigtown & Bladnoch v Civil Service Strollers

Very bad draw for Edinburgh University who will expect to struggle against Scottish Junior Cup champions Hurlford, away from home, long before the term restarts. Derby clash for Vale and Gala. Good draw for Edinburgh City, who should expect to progress against the perennial HL basement side. Dalbeattie obtained a bye. So unless City come a surprise cropper all LL entrants bar two should make it to R1, but even with Uni, you do never know...

Highland League clubs fans are usually good guys- I'm not sure if the Fort are one of the more popularly supported clubs in the Highland League though.

I'd have liked a trip up there but that wouldn't please the treasurer I'm sure!

Archived