Why no special price for disabled at Celtic Park?

Maybe I am wrong ,but I was astonished to learn that Celtic ( my team ) do not appear to have a reduced season ticket for disabled fans. My mate (who is a wheelchair user) tells me he has to take a full price season ticket to follow Celtic. I looked on the Celtic website and he appears to be right . I know some other clubs provide this facility so could Pie and Bovril regulars let me know what their clubs policy is on this? In my opinion this seems to be a bizarre statistic if it is true and makes a mockery of the Celtic founding ethos . If I am proved to be wrong in this I will apologise without reservation to Celtic .In these times of austerity it would be nice to find out what the standard policy is with Scottish clubs, as most disabled persons may be in the unfortunate situation of being financially compromised due to their disability. I know Hamilton for example offer a season ticket to the disabled at a remarkable £50 for a season ticket.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

."In these times of austerity it would be nice to find out what the standard policy is with Scottish clubs, as most disabled persons may be in the unfortunate situation of being financialy compromised due to their disability. I know Hamilton for example offer a season ticket to the disabled at a remarkable £50 for a season ticket".

I addition to my earlier post why not go back to the practice of the early 70s when a UB 40 gate was provided for unemployed to get cheaper entry . Not one Scottish club could fail to benefit by more fans coming to games and providing more vocal support for their team . Obviously this may have to be re-assessed in the event of a sell out , but those are few and far between now. In case you are wondering I am a fully paid up season ticket holder at Celtic and I am delighted to be so , but try thinking of others who may not be so privileged in that respect.

No argument with concessionary pricing but I wonder if disability is the right criterion to use. Seems from the OP's posts that the main thrust of his argument is actually about poverty rather than disability.

Plenty of financially prosperous people who could be considered disabled. Is it really appropriate to offer them concessionary pricing ahead of the non-disabled poor?

I addition to my earlier post why not go back to the practice of the early 70s when a UB 40 gate was provided for unemployed to get cheaper entry . Not one Scottish club could fail to benefit by more fans coming to games and providing more vocal support for their team . Obviously this may have to be re-assessed in the event of a sell out , but those are few and far between now. In case you are wondering I am a fully paid up season ticket holder at Celtic and I am delighted to be so , but try thinking of others who may not be so privileged in that respect.

Fair play to you mate and there are plenty disabled people who work the same as everyone else. I don't want to be an arse about this but there are disabled and disabled. I've got a mate who could claim disability (and probably all the perks, he hasn't looked into it) but doesn't want to as he has a good job and 'lifestyle'. I'm all for people who can't earn a livelihood getting in cheap/free but disabled covers a huge range of people so open to piss taking.

A "little person" should get 50% off their ticket IMO.

You mean like Leprechauns, fairies and whatnot?

Not a good idea. imo. Leprechauns, and indeed supernatural creatures of all persuasions, are notoriously bad tempered and liable to anti-social behaviour. I'm only going from what I've read however and don't have any personal experience of faerie folk (aside from the usual teenage experimentation) so I'm happy to be proven wrong.

chomp my root

fair point . Maybe I didnt think it all through properly , but perhaps all clubs could look at a set criteria and give concessions accordingly ? perhaps give tickets to welfare groups or similar so the scheme isn't abused? It may well be open to abuse and I realise that not all disabled persons would need or even want a concession . It may well be unworkable but I like to think of others .

We used to have that at County in the 90s (or whatever the equivalent term was for UB 40 then), not sure when we stopped...

I do remember a few folk I knew who were too proud to use that gate and would pay fullprice even though they qualified for the concession; couldn't handle the stigma of being seen to use it, which is maybe a more difficult thing in the provinces where you know so much of the crowd (and staff). I was just a kid at the time so genuinely have no idea if that played a role in the gate being closed.

We still/currently offer a concessionary rate to disabled supporters, and where they require a care assistant they are admitted for free (I think the asst is admitted for free, while the supporter is admitted at the concessionary rate, for any pedants out there ;) ):

http://www.rosscountyfootballclub.co.uk/visitor-guide.aspx

Archived