Scotland v England at Celtic Park Nov 18.

It's true though. It's one of the reasons the FA didn't want to enter the Nations Cup in Dublin. If England go up to Parkhead in November and roll Scotland over 3-0, we don't gain anything. If we lose it's embarrassing and the knives come out.

We should play each other occasionally because of the history, but I really think there should have been a longer gap before playing the return fixture. I can't see myself summoning up any real excitement for it.

It'll be nearly a year and a half since the game at Wembley. How much longer do you want?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Same here.

We go to most of the Scotland games with 2 bears and 2 celtic fans.

And on that day we are all Scotland first.

People should leave the prejudice shyte off the Scotland forum.But some on here have an agenda it seems.

Well done on having mature pals chief but its the numpties that follow the Old Firm (more so Rangers it appears) that have the anti-Scotland agenda.

You can't blame Scotland fans for reacting to this.

It'll be nearly a year and a half since the game at Wembley. How much longer do you want?

I'd like to see it played every two or three seasons. It would be a bit more of an event that way.

I'm happy for it to be a semi-regular fixture, but taking into account the state of the England team, and the SFA's pricing, how many people really give a sh*t?

I must say that it surprises me that EFA want this game. Scotland matches mean nothing to them. Last game was understandable in celebration of their anniversary.

Why would they choose to play Scotland as part of their anniversary celebrations if they meant nothing to them?

Why not pick another meaningless team?

Surely they could have picked an easier team to play for a guarenteed victory?

As a traditional fixture it is surely not meaningless?

IMO it is a fixture, that while it may not be meaningless, there is still an attitude in Scotland that it is the be all and end all of matches.

IMO it is a fixture, that while it may not be meaningless, there is still an attitude in Scotland that it is the be all and end all of matches.

Of course and this is the case with most rivalries where one team is bigger/more succesful see Everton v Liverpool, Barcelona v Espanyol, Manchester United v Manchester City (until recently) etc.

Scotland will naturally make more of this game than England will but that is the way football works. I think it is a great historic rivalry and while probably a bit one-sided nowadays it is far from meaningless.

I think it will become, and possibly should become, a once-a-campaign fixture. As for those asking for politics to be kept out of the fixture, that's frankly unavoidable as well you should know. You can't keep politics out of sport, for better or worse.

I think it will become, and possibly should become, a once-a-campaign fixture. As for those asking for politics to be kept out of the fixture, that's frankly unavoidable as well you should know. You can't keep politics out of sport, for better or worse.

I agree with most of this. However, I don't really want the thread and build up to the game to be tainted by the petty squabbles that have engulfed the Indy forum to the detriment of the genuine discussions that could have been had.

Besides, its not really a Yes v Better Together game as there are Yes and Bt voters supporting either sides.

I must say that it surprises me that EFA want this game. Scotland matches mean nothing to them. Last game was understandable in celebration of their anniversary.

Wouldn't surprise me if having a match at Hampden was agreed in the negotiations before the first match, and the SFA have decided to play it this year while we have a decent manager and are optimistic, far more chance of getting money when we're in that sort of position

It seems as though the game has been specifically designed by the SFA in an attempt to justify a massive price hike in the season ticket package. If that's to be the precedent, the last thing I want to see is this fixture being brought back on an annual, or even bi-annual basis. I'd be happy enough never to play them in friendlies as it's not something I feel particularly needs to happen, as seems to be the popular rhetoric in the press.

I agree with most of this. However, I don't really want the thread and build up to the game to be tainted by the petty squabbles that have engulfed the Indy forum to the detriment of the genuine discussions that could have been had.

Besides, its not really a Yes v Better Together game as there are Yes and Bt voters supporting either sides.

I quite agree. I hope it doesn't end up in petty squabbling and a who is more Scottish/how can you support Scotland but vote for Britain etc. Type thing. Here's my prediction: if we vote no, it will, and there isn't much we can do about the build up to the game in that eventuality. For all these politics out of sport guys, you must have hated it when Mandela was dishing out rugby world cups then? Should have kept politics out of South African rugby? I believe Sport can be a vehicle for political good, sport can really assist a good cause.

60 quid a ticket? That's top end, surely? Where's the whole ticket price list?

Bizarrely they've put prices out for the stands at Hampden when the game is at Celtic Park. If you're in the SSC there's a £5 discount!

1eng_zpsab56f0b5.jpg

I'd have the game every two years if they really want to make it regular. Play it in the summers where there is no tournament (providing either of us don't go mental and win a tournament and end up in the Confederations Cup...aye, you're right...that's stupid). I'm sure plenty of fans on both sides would be much more up for the game if it was in the height of summer and - dare I say it - kicks off on a weekend at a decent time? The trip to Wembley was great with the weather, but would've been better had it been a Saturday.

Archived