Dunfermline v's Raith Rovers. Tropic Thunder.

McGurn will make a difference compared to the team that has played the friendles so far e.g. he won't throw one in the net like Laidlaw does. However we're definitely without Anderson and Elliot, and it would seem we'll also be without Cuthbert, Hill, Barr and Scott. Maybe Moon too. So two definitely out, probably rising to six (even if any of those four play they've had no minutes thus far), perhaps even seven with Moon. And probably all certain starters?

McGurn

Thomson Watson Ellis McKeown

Stewart Callachan Fox Conroy

Nade Vaughan

Subs: Laidlaw... er... some other people.

Yeah, we'll lose. Can't wait.

• Replies 361
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's not really mind games, looks like we'll only have half a squad. If you don't win this, it should be looked at as a disgrace by every pars fan.

It's the Challenge Cup. We are pretty consistent at being knocked out in either the first or second round!

That's mind games! I'm serious when I say that I will be very pleasantly surprised if we win the one. We're seriously ropey at the back and have goal machines Nade and Elliot up front. That's why I predict a fairly comfortable Pars win. I don't think you squad looks really much worse, if at all worse, that ours. You'll be looking to win the league this season, we'll be in our usual hovering above the drop position.

I thought Nade had started to rave reviews along the A92? At least you don't have wee Joe to come back and haunt us this time. I think it'll be a competitive game (on paper, we have the strongest squad in League One) but as you well know, anything can happen in a one-off derby match. I'd still make Raith slight favourites but hopefully Andy Stirling can be a more creative outlet for us going forward.

Have you got a few injury problems at the moment?

Whats happening regarding tickets for raith fans will they be on sale at the ground on match day if so at what time ?

The advance tickets are just a recommendation, Rovers fans can pay at the gate, it says on the Pars site "away fans will be housed in the East Stand and will be able to buy tickets from Raith Rovers direct or on match day at the turnstiles (10 to 15)."

I thought Nade had started to rave reviews along the A92? At least you don't have wee Joe to come back and haunt us this time. I think it'll be a competitive game (on paper, we have the strongest squad in League One) but as you well know, anything can happen in a one-off derby match. I'd still make Raith slight favourites but hopefully Andy Stirling can be a more creative outlet for us going forward.

Have you got a few injury problems at the moment?

I've only seen Nade on Tuesday where, as somebody posted on the match thread, he did a convincing Armand One impersonation. I think he is better than that though, and I'm certainly expecting more, but he's not a 20 goal a season striker, no sir. Average Joe always did well in the bigger matches and cup games so he's a loss for this fixture and I think he's better than what we've replaced him with, Conroy.

Injury problems? Yes. One of our starting centre back is just back from injury, our other starter in that position + back up are injured, and I imagine will not play against you. We're currently playing Ellis there and he is unfortunately past it. McGurn has played 15mins of football in the last 9 months or so, which was on Tuesday, I wonder if we'll risk him against you? I don't know.

Conversely I'd put you as slight favourites but I'll be more or less confident depending on how we do on Saturday against ICT.

The biggest worry for this is not Raith - it's the possibility that the seagull will be back with all its mates to take revenge. Peck peck.

the-birds_2105331i.jpg

Booth's clearence sounds awfully similar to Cardle at Easter Road. With about 10 minutes to go he'd been getting abuse by those at the front of the stand so he walloped the ball out of play right into the face of a rather portly Hibee who'd been seething. Cue five Hibs fans pulling the "Haud me back" routine while Cardle laughs at them. What a glorious day that was.

Booth's clearence sounds awfully similar to Cardle at Easter Road. With about 10 minutes to go he'd been getting abuse by those at the front of the stand so he walloped the ball out of play right into the face of a rather portly Hibee who'd been seething. Cue five Hibs fans pulling the "Haud me back" routine while Cardle laughs at them. What a glorious day that was.

Always liked JoJo! Ian Ferguson had a similar belter for us when he 'misjudged' a tap to a Celtic player waiting to take a thrown in and volleyed it full-forced into the Celtic fans from about five yards away.

Interesting to note the three suspensions for this match carried over from last seasons competition:

Alex Whittle (DAFC)

Callum Elliot (RRFC)

Grant Anderson (RRFC)

If the rumours about Raiths top 3 centre backs being out also is true, it could turn out to be a very intriguing game. Really looking forward to it, hoping for a good crowd to start off the season too.

COYP! :):D

Just a wee update. Cuthbert played today and looked solid in goals. In addition, Paul Watson played both against Caley and York, and this morning we've signed Ross Perry as cover (he'll likely play and looked solid enough). In addition to that, Jimmy Scott played the majority of the game today. If we get Kevin Moon back from injury I'd imagine he'd play ahead of Fox.

Barring any injuries in training during the week, then we've got a lot more balance in our team!

Moffat got a goal yesterday and Ryan Wallace got another run-out. A good bit off being totally fit (looks a bit chunky after his long absence) but much more confident of beating anyone with him available. Could be a few goals in this one (at both ends). If it finishes in a draw he and Nade could have a competitive eating contest instead of the usual extra time etc.

Looking forward to this, first game since the playoff.

Will the defending champions bring a big crowd through?

It's the diddy cup, so I'd be surprised if we brought much over what Calderon has already stated.

With that said it's a Saturday afternoon which makes it a lot easier for people to get along to. Hopefully we bring through a decent crowd and absolutely tank you. :thumsup2

It's the diddy cup, so I'd be surprised if we brought much over what Calderon has already stated.

With that said it's a Saturday afternoon which makes it a lot easier for people to get along to. Hopefully we bring through a decent crowd and absolutely tank you. :thumsup2

You had to mention the tank.

You had to mention the tank.

Don't worry - the bear was offloaded to a Russian circus by the administrator. He now delivers pro-Putin satirical critiques of the Ukraine and Georgia using a variety of household items as props (when he's not chained up in his 4ftx4ftx4ft cage.

My girlfriend and her side of the family support Raith, so I went on a llittle scouting mission on Saturday.

I was quite impressed with Raith defensively. Cuthbert looks a very assured goalkeeper and will run McGurn hard for the #1 jersey. Watson and Perry look similar type players - comfortable with the ball at their feet, good positional sense, strong, commanding, etc. I thought they worked well. Jimmy Scott was very good also, especially as he's just back from injury. I must say though, for me, there were far too many long balls and you never got your wide men, particularly Conroy, into the game enough to be very influential. Similarly, young Vaughan up front. He looks a terrific prospect tbh and he rarely got a kick on Saturday as everything was up in the air by Raith for Nade to try knock down and/or flick on. Nade vs our new CB, Gregor Buchanan, for me, will be an intriguing battle - two tall, strong players battling and jostling to get their head onto the ball first... A key battle, imo. If we keep Nade quiet, we've got a very good opportunity to win this game. Nade has lost a lot of weight and is now really strong and powerful and has a very good shot on him: his left footed volley on Saturday which smacked the crossbar was tremendous technique and very unlucky not to have given Raith the lead. Unless, imo, Raith get some of their other injuried players available for this game, it could be their bench that causes them the most grief. I think the Starting XI is still strong, but the bench could see little option to change the game in their favour if they are behind.

As for us, I think a fully fit Wallace and Moffat up front can cause multiple problems - unfortunately, Wallace isn't fully up to match speed yet but he can still be a thorn in the side of Raith imo. The two injury doubts we have over Andrew Stirling and Faissal are crucial imo. If the outcome is they're both out, I'd say Raith were overwhelming favourites. However, if they're both passed fit, while Raith would still be favourites in my eyes, I'd say we've got a very good chance of causing an upset. I think Ross Drummond will step in for the suspended Alex Whittle quite comfortably so I'm not overly concerned with that.

This is a great way to start the season for me - a keenly contested match against the holders of the competition, as well as your rivals; it's set up to be a cracker imo. The attendance last season was roughly 3800 I believe: I'd like to think we can at least get 4000 for this match. I'm really excited already and can't wait for 3pm on Saturday!

Mon the DAAAAA! :D:)

Archived