The Premiership Tactics & Formations Thread

Thought it might be a good to have a place to discuss all things tactical on the forum.

e.g. - what formation your club is likely to go with this season and whether there is a better way (in your opinion) for your club to go?

Could your side make a tweak to get more out of a certain player or protect another?

Has your team changed its formation recently and has it helped/hindered your progress?

Who knows, maybe Billy Dodds will stumble across this and one day say "If you're asking me Rob, I'd have to say that Kilmarnock would be better off using Clingan in an enganche role further up the midfield if they're to take take advantage of Josh Magennis' wizardry."

Next season, I'd imagine Kilmarnock will likely stick with the system used against St Mirren and Hibs during the final two games of our season. I'll use the players that we have at the moment (and one that we're about to have) below -

Samson

Barbour Pascali Ashcroft McAllister

Clingan Hamill Slater

Cairney

McKenzie Miller

It will involve the two 'wider' central players (in the example above, Clingan and Slater) to work harder covering the flanks and pushing on when in possession; and for the deeper midfielder (Hamill) to protect the backline. Their secondary roles will be linking the further forward player (Cairney, above). Cairney will shine in that role IMO as he will be more involved in the play and less likely to drift in and out as he would if played as a traditional winger. McKenzie's pace up front will link well with Miller's hold-up play, and we can expect to see more balls played through to exploit his pace rather than the aimless lump to Boyd's head of yesteryear. My biggest concern would be McAllister's age and if he'd have it in him to play as a wing-back for an entire season, as I think he'd be more suited to a full-back role.

Of course it's all up for debate, but it would be good to have a thread to look at before facing certain sides to get an idea of how they'll line up (or at least likely to).

Over to you.

Ross County will be going with the old fashioned 2-3-5 pyramid approach.

Regeuro

Boyd Saunders

Brittain Klok Quinn

Maatsen Arquin Boyce De Leeuw Cardle

I actually think the throwback to the football of the 1920s and 30s could see some success. De Leeuw will operate in a sort of "Matthias Sindelar role", whilst the Hugo Meisl influence will extend to short, sharp passing which will likely see County surprise many teams next season. That said, the real issue is a lack of mobility in the midfield.

After three seasons of successfully trolling Scottish football with his pragmatic approach to football, I foresee Adams returning to his #style and #panache roots.

PS: The imminent signings of Jordi Balk, Filip Kiss, Don Cowie, Yann Songo'o, Erik Cikos, and THE MYSTERY PLAYER (the mystery player could be anyone, he could even be one of the aforementioned players), should see a radical change to the formation.

Would imagine that we'll play one of these two formations;

Kello

Naismith McAusland Plummer Kelly

McGinn Goodwin McLean

Marwood Thompson Wylde

--------------------------------------------------------------

Kello

Naismith McAusland Plummer Kelly

Goodwin

McGinn McLean Wylde

Thompson Marwood

I imagine Jackie will stick with the 4-2-3-1

Czierniak

Watson Souttar Other CB Robertson

Paton Rankin

Dow Armstrong GMS

Ciftci

Obviously the personnel could well change, but I can't imagine him veering away from that much at all. Changes to a 4-4-2 if we're chasing a game sometimes though.

Interesting* quote from Archie in the ET today where he was saying the team struggled badly last season with changing formation midway through games and they'll be working on this heavily in pre-season. Which might explain why we stuck so doggedly to 4-2-3-1 last year.

I'd imagine that'll be our starting formation as it has been largely for the last 2 years, generally with wingers playing on their "wrong" side e.g. Higginbotham on the left and cutting in with 2 full backs pushing forward. We're still about 5-6 signings away from finishing the squad so not much point in a personnel line up at this point in time.

*your definition of interesting may vary from mine.

Regeuro

Boyd Saunders

Brittain Klok Quinn

I actually think the throwback to the football of the 1920s and 30s could see some success. De Leeuw will operate in a sort of "Matthias Sindelar role", whilst the Hugo Meisl influence will extend to short, sharp passing which will likely see County surprise many teams next season. That said, the real issue is a lack of mobility in the midfield.

After three seasons of successfully trolling Scottish football with his pragmatic approach to football, I foresee Adams returning to his #style and #panache roots.

PS: The imminent signings of Jordi Balk, Filip Kiss, Don Cowie, Yann Songo'o, Erik Cikos, and THE MYSTERY PLAYER (the mystery player could be anyone, he could even be one of the aforementioned players), should see a radical change to the formation.

Inverting the inverted pyramid.

Scenes.

Regeuro

Boyd Saunders

Brittain Klok Quinn

I would be delighted by that ad it would put an end to the cringey "boring boring County" chant that Thistle do.

Dons lined up like this in first competitive game of season. Still expecting two more signings left back (first pick) which pushes Hayes forward and Robson on to bench. Other signing will likely be a squad player for the wing. Taylor will take over soon from Anderson

Langfield

Logan Anderson Reynolds Hayes

Jack Flood

Robson Pawlett McGinn

Rooney

others: Brown (GK), Taylor, Considine, Robertson, Shaughnessey, Low, Smith, Goodwillie, various youngsters

McCall has a very simple yet effective way of setting up his team. A straightforward 4-4-2, with a hardworking midfield duo (Lasley/Carswell and previously Law and Jennings), a pair of quick/tricky wingers (Ainsworth/Vigurs/ZFA and previously Humphrey/Murphy/Faddy), and a big man/wee man front pairing (Sutton/Higdon with Ojamaa/Anier/Faddy/new guy).

It'll be no different this year. There'll maybe the odd tweak and hopefully a couple new faces but I expect is to line up like this for the Euro game coming up.

Twardzik/Nielsen

Reid Ramsden McManus Hammell

Ainsworth Lasley Carswell Vigurs

Sutton McHugh

McCall has a very simple yet effective way of setting up his team. A straightforward 4-4-2.

Yeah, but pretend, like everyone else, it's a clever formation.

1 1

Judging by a few interviews I imagine this is how we'll set up:

Kello

Naismith Cheesy Plummer Kelly

Goodwin

McGinn Wylde

McLean

Thommo Marwood

Marwood stated in an interview that suggests we'll be dropping our one man up front and going with a striker partnership.

If that's the case then I imagine we'll play a diamond midfield with Goodwind protecting the back four and McLean slotting in behind the strikers. personally I think it's a good plan but again it shoves McGinn out of position on one of the wings when he is an excellent central midfielder. Although I guess that's the problem when you have Goodwin, McLean and McGinn all at their best in the centre. It's a tricky one but I'd argue is the best formation other than reverting back to last seasons and seeing how Marwood is on the wings:

Kello

Naismith Cheesy Plummer Kelly

Goodwin McGinn

Marwood McLean Wylde

Thommo

QLP's formation doesn't look to bad on paper. Didn't realise Mccalister signed though.

Unfortunatelty If its anything like last season our formation will be

Samson

n/a n/a n/a n/a

n/a

n/a n/a

n/a n/a

Miller

Samson gets ball, boots to miller who hopefully scores.

Archived