Team Lineups

I know there is still a lot of business to be done, but I noticed this topic on the championship page and found it interesting.

If the season was to start tomorrow, how would you expect your team to line up?

For accies I would expect;

McGovern

Ziggy Canning Jesus McDonald

Gills Redmond Ali Crawford

Longridge Imrie

Scotland

Currently we'll be lining up;

Mannus

Mackay Anderson Wright Easton

Wotherspoon Millar McDonald O'Halloran

Maclean May

That kind of goes into a 4-2-3-1 at times, with May, Wotherspoon and O'Halloran drifting all over the place behind Maclean.

Murray Davidson will come into that team in place of either Millar or McDonald when he's fit.

Twardzik

Reid Ramsden McManus Hammell

Ainsworth Carswell Leitch Lasley Vigurs

Sutton

Is what we'd probably have to line up with just now,once we sign a forward (probably Clarkson) it'll be a 4-4-2 with one of the central midfield dropping out.

---------------------------Kello---------------------------

---Naismith---McAusland----Plummer-----Kelly-----

--------------Goodwin---------McGinn-----------------

------Teale-----------McLean---------Wylde----------

------------------------Thompson-------------------------

Must admit that doesn't look too bad considering we still have a couple more to bring in. Maybe even swap Teale for Marwood.

Due to having only two defenders on the books, we're going all out attack with a 2-1-3-1-3:

Reguero

Boyd Saunders

Klok

Brittain Quinn Cardle

De Leeuw

Boyce Arquin Jervis

McGovern

Longridge Imrie

Scotland

No place for Sir Alex?

I know there is still a lot of business to be done, but I noticed this topic on the championship page and found it interesting.

If the season was to start tomorrow, how would you expect your team to line up?

McGovern

Longridge Imrie

Scotland

Gils & Ali Crawford ahead of Tony Andreu 22? :lol:

McKinnon?

#22?

If Gillespie and Crawford are starting over those two then we might as well accept relegation now.

Gils & Ali Crawford ahead of Tony Andreu 22? :lol:

No place for Sir Alex?

Had no idea what i was thinking my mind went blank when it came to midfielders :lol: one of those days.

Had no idea what i was thinking my mind went blank when it came to midfielders :lol: one of those days.

Haha we have such strength in depth now mate.

So, apart from Neil, Routledge, McKinnon and Andreu, you got the midfield right.

:)

Must admit that doesn't look too bad considering we still have a couple more to bring in. Maybe even swap Teale for Marwood.

If I was Tommy Craig (lolwut etc), I'd be doing everything to get the best out of the central midfield three, because if he doesn't dick about like what Lennon did and played them as a trio consistently, then they should be looking at seventh place and upwards.

Having McGinn next to Goodwin at the back of midfield in a 4-2-3-1 wouldn't necessarily restrict McGinn to playing there - formations are neutral; it's the balance of the players within it that make it count - but even so, I think a more decidedly 4-3-3 shape would get the best out of all three. Certainly, comparing it to Mourinho's 4-3-3 at Chelsea, it just makes sense to me:

• Goodwin is at his absolute best when he isn't allowed to fanny around with the ball, so get him to stick to what he's good at and protect the centre-backs, who I consider to form the weakest part of the team;
  • McGinn is a wonderful box-to-box midfielder and will press and harry all day long (not to mention his technical attributes), so he would best suit an Essien-type role, linking the back to the front of the midfield; and
  • McLean has so much more to offer in his play than just be a number 10, so play him in the Lampard role i.e. the most forward-thinking of the central midfielders while letting him develop his all-round game. Thompson's hold-up play perfectly complements McLean's late runs towards the box.

It puts a lot of creative emphasis on the wingers and I think for it to work, in the medium term at the very least, there would need to be another established winger or creative type to allow changes on the hour if the pattern of the match isn't suiting, because those are typically the most consistent roles in the team. I think the rest of the line-up would be pretty settled though.

In any event, the 4-3-3 offers a lot of flexibility, between playing a high line and getting crosses into Thompson with support from one of the midfielders, or playing defensively with a lot of protection to the deep midfield area and being able to counter on the flanks.

Just the way I would do it, anyway. No doubt we'll see 4-4-2 with McLean shoe-horned on to the right flank or something.

Marwood hasn't come up here to sit on the bench, he'll surprise a few this season.

It show that we are very strong in numbers in Midfeild! Do we need Mark M? Or is the £££ better spent on another striker?

Archived