Scottish Junior Cup - club performance index

paulc

may have missed it earlier on but how do replays effect calculations? for example does the fact that it took two goes reach next round lower your valuation or raise it for the team that held you to a draw in first game?

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

may have missed it earlier on but how do replays effect calculations? for example does the fact that it took two goes reach next round lower your valuation or raise it for the team that held you to a draw in first game?

Good point, as the semi finals are two legs, and under the current scoring we'd be down as a defeat, although we got a draw away to Auchinleck.

From our point of view it does give a true picture. We bumped the wee rose out of the cup 3 years ago in round one.

This year we defeated the bigger Rose, the 'bot & the Glens.

All seems fair enough to me.

Aye and you still haven't won it in over 30 years .... :D:lol:

Oh, and ultimately it doesn't matter as we lost the final but who horsed you out of the 2012/13 season with a 4 - 1 spanking !?!

Great stuff and im sure a real plus for coaches ..squabling fans asside i think its as true a reflection off scottish junior cup football ever...if a so called good side go out early everyseason then they clearly are not a good side in the contex off the scottish junior cup ...EASY ..

I started by including replays - giving the losing team half points (and full points to the winner) but then abandoned it. On reflection I perhaps should have kept the reward for drawing a first match and may well re-introduce it before "going live" in the new season.

Well done with this hope you keep it going, the weighting is subjective and you are going to get lots of opinions, personally I would like to see every year remain in the stats obviously reducing in weighting.

Yes, whatever weighting is introduced tends to be subjective. If the earliest season (current season-4) is given a weight of 20 then logically if we retained it for a further season (current season-5) the weight would drop to 10 (out of a total of 210) - the contribution of that season becomes pretty insignificant and certainly going back a further season (current season-6) with perhaps a weight of 5 out 215 isnt really going to add much to the overall totals.

But certainly extending the coverage from 5 to 6 seasons could be done easily and I may well build that in.

Well done with this hope you keep it going, the weighting is subjective and you are going to get lots of opinions, personally I would like to see every year remain in the stats obviously reducing in weighting.

if he went back say another 5 years, Talbot have won it another two times.

pls don't go back 20 years, they have won it 9 times!

Oh, and ultimately it doesn't matter as we lost the final but who horsed you out of the 2012/13 season with a 4 - 1 spanking !?!

And another thread goes downhill due to wee rose fans not being happy they are below Bo'ness in the rankings...... :(

And another thread goes downhill due to wee rose fans not being happy they are below Bo'ness in the rankings...... :(

Surely the most important performance indicator is based on who actually wins it?

Just you content yourself with the results of this exercise and I will content myself with reality and 3 Scottish Cup wins since 2002 .

Update to index. (File attached)

I have now taken into account ties with replays. Teams losing a replay receive 50% of the value of a win. In the case of losing on penalties they receive 75% of the value of a win. Semi-final losers receive 50% of the value of a win if they win one of the matches and 25% if they draw one match (and lose the other). Where semi-finals go to penalty deciders the loser gets 75% of the value of a win.

The overall index will cover 6 seasons rather than 5 with the coming season being the 6th to be included. Results in the oldest season (current season-5) will receive a weight of 10.

I'm working on weighting to reflect the strength of opponents, which I will apply to future results. At the moment I'm considering using the current team rankings with a win against the top ranked club being worth 150% of its 'normal' value reducing down to a result against the bottom ranked club being worth 50% of its 'normal' value.

juniors1.xls

Unfortunately that was in the Quarter Final.

We need to start drawing them in the first couple of rounds to get them oot the top 10.

Surely the most important performance indicator is based on who actually wins it?

Just you content yourself with the results of this exercise and I will content myself with reality and 3 Scottish Cup wins since 2002 .

With another 2 finals.

Paul, could you no start again from 2002 ??? :-)

I'm working on weighting to reflect the strength of opponents, which I will apply to future results. At the moment I'm considering using the current team rankings with a win against the top ranked club being worth 150% of its 'normal' value reducing down to a result against the bottom ranked club being worth 50% of its 'normal' value.

Of course if you're looking for something to do Paul ;) you could calculate season 5 (oldest), then redo season 4 based on the team rankings weighting of 5, then season 3 based on season's 4 rankings etc etc!

Archived