Craig Brown - World Cup Diary France 98

~~~

As much as i'm enjoying watching this years World Cup, i'm also sick as a parrott Scotland didn't qualify, and i find it rather depressing come Russia 2018 it will be 20 years since we last qualified, anyways I was looking for some nostalgia on youtube and came across this. as the title says it's Craig Brown's World Cup diary from France 98.

It comes in 9 parts. I found it interesting even though Craig Brown doesn't sound very excited, So enjoy

Part 1

Part 2

Part 3

Part 4

Part 5

Part 6

Part 7

Part 8

Part 9

As much as i'm enjoying watching this years World Cup, i'm also sick as a parrott Scotland didn't qualify, and i find it rather depressing come Russia 2018 it will be 20 years since we last qualified, anyways I was looking for some nostalgia on youtube and came across this. as the title says it's Craig Brown's World Cup diary from France 98.

It comes in 9 parts. I found it interesting even though Craig Brown doesn't sound very excited, So enjoy

Part 1

Part 2

Part 3

Part 4

Part 5

Part 6

Part 7

Part 8

Part 9

Nice one - I like this kind of stuff too. I fear though that it'll be a bittersweet watch.

C'mon tae feck for Euro 2016!

I used to have this on VHS.

:)

Even though I'm too young to actually remember Scotland actually playing in a World Cup finals.

:(

Forget Ally's Army in 1978. In 1974 we were truly world class.. 40 years on I am still bitter.

Quick edit to add.......good video on Scotland's f**k-up in 1974 here:

What a find this is. That was actually a decent squad of players so a shame we didn't sneak a win in the groups.

Tony Blair comes across well too an clear to see he has a lot more energy about him at start of his time as PM than at the end!

Scotland team don't look too chuffed to be in his company though :lol:

France98 still wrankles with me on various levels where Scotland are concerned. Was 15 at the time, but i still don't understand why up to a third of that squad were selected. The fact only one Hearts player (the Weirdo).was selected, despite their Cup win and genuine title-challenge until the last three weeks still bamboozles me. The likes of Elliot, Whyte, Gemmill, Tosh McKinlay (not a regular that year at Celtic, the reason given for not including McCall, Cleland or McCoist) being called up instead of Ritchie, Cameron and McCann, three players who at that time offered a good alternative to the starting players, something the aforementioned four never did in their fleeting appearances. On the back of their excellent season those Jambos would have been buzzing going into the tourney.....as opposed to being accepted back-ups and nothing else.......Christ, Weir even had an assist V Norway!!! Even Fulton would have been a good wildcard player, and as for no McCoist, well, i bet the Norwegians and Morrocans got a bigger lift from his absence than our guys. Of the four finals' i saw us play, 98 is far and away the biggest letdown and disappointment. Especially as almost immediately after it, Broon began calling up those Hearts players, as well as Davidson, Allan Johnston etc, who had more better moments than those four diddies i mention.

The thing I remember from the video is the worst World Cup song in it's history - Don't come home too soon! How amazingly negative. Also remember that stupid free kick we did where two players would run up to hit it, both turn away, then one would turn again and actually hit it. Wtf was that all about?

The thing I remember from the video is the worst World Cup song in it's history - Don't come home too soon! How amazingly negative. Also remember that stupid free kick we did where two players would run up to hit it, both turn away, then one would turn again and actually hit it. Wtf was that all about?

It's just utterly dreadful. I got a ribbing from some English guy a few weeks back about that song. So fucking defeatist. It's the equivalent of Hibs releasing a cup final song called 'Just don't loose 5-1 again'.

It's just utterly dreadful. I got a ribbing from some English guy a few weeks back about that song. So fucking defeatist. It's the equivalent of Hibs releasing a cup final song called 'Just don't loose 5-1 again'.

The music video for it wasn't much better either

The music video for it wasn't much better either

I've never seen it but I can imagine it's probably filmed in a dark, empty pub or something with the singer nursing a whisky inter-spliced with clips of Scotland conceding last minute goals.

I mind hearing Justin Currie on the radio some years back (? on Off the Ball, maybe) and he told a story of being in a pub once when a guy comes up to him.

"Are you the guy fae Del Amitri? That did the World Cup song?"
"Aye."
"You should be ashamed of yersel, son."

And walked off! :lol:

I've never seen it but I can imagine it's probably filmed in a dark, empty pub or something with the singer nursing a whisky inter-spliced with clips of Scotland conceding last minute goals.

There's a fucking surprise. It was an absolutely painful take on Brazil's airport video for Nike. You can even see one or two utter haddies from the Scotland team actually sticking out their tongue and biting down in sheer concentration mode during keepie-uppies. Fucking mortal.

Archived