All Hurlford United Chat 2014/15

Killiepiyo

Tell me this, how many home games did Hurlford have postponed last season? Try to reply without the childish personal insults. Hurlford had a load of games called off last season that financially impacted the other Clubs in the League through having to play midweek at the end of the season rather than on Saturdays when scheduled. Hurlford have used their cash wisely, the proof being the Scottish Cup but improving drainage should be on the to do list as well.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tell me this, how many home games did Hurlford have postponed last season? Try to reply without the childish personal insults. Hurlford had a load of games called off last season that financially impacted the other Clubs in the League through having to play midweek at the end of the season rather than on Saturdays when scheduled. Hurlford have used their cash wisely, the proof being the Scottish Cup but improving drainage should be on the to do list as well.

but our showers work. as for being childish "first drop of rain"?

Only fixture in our League to be called off. A few years ago Beith would have been off but they have spent time, money and effort in fixing their drainage problem.

Well since you put it like that. I suppose if you're wanting to be taken seriously as a major force in the game, a playable surface would be a useful addition.

I didn't realise there was a problem with their park. In the long run it will hurt Hurlford more than anyone.

With them striking gold down that way maybe it's in hand as we speak. The park I mean......

A certain groundsman fucked our Park and I'm pretty sure underneath our pitch is clay based not helpful either. Must be good to never have a home game called off because of rain eh meadowx1

I wonder who that was!!

We are lucky our park drains well but spent a lot of money on it so is better than last season where a few games in wet conditions especially one home game v Cumnock meant wasn't quite 100%.

A certain groundsman fucked our Park and I'm pretty sure underneath our pitch is clay based not helpful either. Must be good to never have a home game called off because of rain eh meadowx1

Clay is a demon for sure.

The drainage IN the park isn't the problem imo, a good part of it was replaced prior to the tarmac going down. When they built the surrounding council housing all the remaining rubble was used to raise the surface a good few inches, to allow drainage from the pitch. However it was still clay underneath so if there was enough rain it would still be called off. Over the last few years drains and piping were added to allow the flow out of the park. However it's my understanding that all the drains in Hurlford drain into a central one that flows into the river. If the river runs high it backs up the main pipe in turn not allowing anyone up the hill or the pitch drainage to drain properly, so the water just sits on the park no able to go down or out. Could have the most expensive drainage equipment in the country but if u can't move it anywhere, whats the options?

So I think the problem is out of the clubs hands until someone sorts out the village's drainage as a whole.

The drainage IN the park isn't the problem imo, a good part of it was replaced prior to the tarmac going down. When they built the surrounding council housing all the remaining rubble was used to raise the surface a good few inches, to allow drainage from the pitch. However it was still clay underneath so if there was enough rain it would still be called off. Over the last few years drains and piping were added to allow the flow out of the park. However it's my understanding that all the drains in Hurlford drain into a central one that flows into the river. If the river runs high it backs up the main pipe in turn not allowing anyone up the hill or the pitch drainage to drain properly, so the water just sits on the park no able to go down or out. Could have the most expensive drainage equipment in the country but if u can't move it anywhere, whats the options?

So I think the problem is out of the clubs hands until someone sorts out the village's drainage as a whole.

Excellent post mate.

Minesalager tell him the real reason he won't believe you

Gus Hollas?

Anyone remember Kilmarnock were the envy of most clubs in the country and had probably the best playing surface in Scottish football when Davie Roxburgh ( who ironically lived in Hurlford at the time) was the head groundsman? So much so that he was lured from Rugby Park to Ibrox (where he still is) in what was one of Rangers best signings.

Some time after he left Gus Hollas was appointed to the position of head groundsman at Rugby Park and the condition of the pitch deteriorated to a point that the once pristine playing surface had to be relaid due mainly to the amount of sand that was choking any new grass growth.

The playing surface never recovered from this and Kilmarnock took the decision to replace the surface with a new artificial pitch. The last match on grass played at Rugby Park being our Scottish cup win over Glenafton.

The worst playing surface in the top flight of Scottish football would probably go to Motherwell's Fir Park which at times either resembled a ploughed field or Troon beach. The similarity of the state of the pitch at Motherwell and the decline of the one at Kilmarnock were no coincidence as the groundsman at Fir Park was the very same Gus Hollas!

Games at both Kilmarnock and Motherwell fell foul of the weather when in the past would have been playable.

Why Hurlford United allowed Gus Hollas anywhere near the playing surface at Blair Park after his previous exploits is not for me to answer but to say the club havent spent money on the pitch I think may also be a little off the mark.

Hurlford also have a problem with drainage which is outwith the clubs control. The main drain which runs along Blair Road at times can barely cope with even the slightest of volumes of water. Unfortunately this drain is also the one which (if working properly) drains water from the pitch. Any significant rainfall similar to what we had yesterday morning and the water then backs up ( and floods) at the drain at the Blair Road corner.

Although I'm not speaking on behalf of the club I'm certain we would prefer to play all our matches on their scheduled dates as expenses also impact on us and not just the visiting team. It also doesn't help our cause when we have a backlog of games at the tail end of the season as points on the board are always better than games in hand!

I hope The lads and Ace#1 enjoyed their night out in Glasgow last night after getting soundly beaten at "Killer" from yours truly prior to leaving Hurlford lol.

Although Keano thought Ace#1 and me were conspiring to win the pot I hope the fact that it was donated to their "kitty" dismissed this theory and added to what I'm sure was a great night out as The 'Ford were having a party!

Nobody said anything about cheating Hufc2012 won the game of killer fare and square

I was waiting to see how long it would take for you to come on and clear our names lol

We both know no cheating took place so there was nothing to be guilty about! ( and this is coming from the guy from the "Wee village outside Cumnock" lol)

See you both on Saturday ( weather permitting lol)

Archived