Irvine Meadow

Shannon

Now 4 wins out of 4 in the league with no goals conceded. Been brilliant defensively in the league so far which I really didn't expect after a slightly dodgy Ardagh Cup. Staunton and Twaddle have looked very solid with Carlin rarely been tested too often in 4 games.

Bad to lose Sawyers for 3 games as going by photos taken from Irvine Herald guy was nothing in the foul. Will have to be Hall with Deas/McLaughlin for next 3 games unless we can appeal! Still goalscorers in there without Willie Sawyers but a miss certainly for Kilbirnie away!

Went to this match yesterday as a neutral & I must say I was extreamly disappointed! I wasn't expecting much from beith as I've seen them a couple of times this season & defensively they were shocking, however I thought their forwards would've caused Medda problems, but that didn't happen as the ball was in the air or out the park most of the game . Irvine's style of play is a disgrace !!! It was launched back to front at every opportunity. The little football that was played was played by beith who I thought was the better team over the 90mins. Yes irvine haven't conceeded a goal but come on all you fans who go every week must be going mad watching that ? Irvine have good footballers & a fantastic surface to play on, so why on earth do they continually thump the ball up the park?

The best thing about the match was my pie & bovril, but my neck is killing me with continually looking up for most of the game, poor show to say the least.

Ps- it was never a red card either & the ref had a shocker for both teams.

• Replies 372
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Went to this match yesterday as a neutral & I must say I was extreamly disappointed! I wasn't expecting much from beith as I've seen them a couple of times this season & defensively they were shocking, however I thought their forwards would've caused Medda problems, but that didn't happen as the ball was in the air or out the park most of the game . Irvine's style of play is a disgrace !!! It was launched back to front at every opportunity. The little football that was played was played by beith who I thought was the better team over the 90mins. Yes irvine haven't conceeded a goal but come on all you fans who go every week must be going mad watching that ? Irvine have good footballers & a fantastic surface to play on, so why on earth do they continually thump the ball up the park?

The best thing about the match was my pie & bovril, but my neck is killing me with continually looking up for most of the game, poor show to say the least.

Ps- it was never a red card either & the ref had a shocker for both teams.

We scored 5 goals against Troon where we played superbly well and great goals amongst them but can't do that every week. If we can play 'poor' and yet still win in games last season where we would have drew or lost Clydebank away / Beith home then big points on board.

With Talbot out the Senior Scottish and they are getting more convincing wins then obviously they are favourites. 12 points out of 12. Every team in the league would be happy with that.

Kilbirnie will be a big test next week as hard place to go and they bet us in Ardagh Cup though we have more confidence about our team now and had no strike force at all that night once Maxwell went off injured.

We scored 5 goals against Troon where we played superbly well and great goals amongst them but can't do that every week. If we can play 'poor' and yet still win in games last season where we would have drew or lost Clydebank away / Beith home then big points on board.

With Talbot out the Senior Scottish and they are getting more convincing wins then obviously they are favourites. 12 points out of 12. Every team in the league would be happy with that.

Kilbirnie will be a big test next week as hard place to go and they bet us in Ardagh Cup though we have more confidence about our team now and had no strike force at all that night once Maxwell went off injured.

Yes fair point Shannon. I've only seen your team play once this season so maybe I'm being hyper critical . With Beith's open style of play I was expecting a really good game with loads of goals & it was the complete opposite . I'll be at the Kilbirnie game next week so here's hoping its a better game :-)

The main reason we are showing a clean sheet is that the defence are clearing the ball rather than trying to play out of defence. When we did that last year when ahead we were losing late goals to inferior teams. The sending off of Sawers will be a blessing. I don't rate his chances of a quick return. Too immobile for me.

The main reason we have had 5 cleans sheets in a row is that the team are defending well and are superbly marshalled by Twaddle and Staunton. We could be a bit more creative but I'm certainly not going to complain about 4 wins out of 4 and no goals conceded.

What's the update on Maxi's injury? Hope it's not too serious for the big man....

Maxi's injury is not as serious as first thought and is close to being back in training. Hopefully be for start of December for us or sooner as big player for Meadow.

Sawyers is top scorer on 5 goals but not been at his prolific best so maybe partly due to early season injury. Our best game attacking wise was with Chris Hall & Deas up front against a slightly makeshift Troon team. Sawyers will be suspended for 3 games as got straight red at end of Beith game on Saturday although I believe we may appeal it. Got tough competition for places with McLaughlin who has looked good in few games he has played & plays well with Hall plus of course Maxwell back soon.

Maxi's injury is not as serious as first thought and is close to being back in training. Hopefully be for start of December for us or sooner as big player for Meadow.

Sawyers is top scorer on 5 goals but not been at his prolific best so maybe partly due to early season injury. Our best game attacking wise was with Chris Hall & Deas up front against a slightly makeshift Troon team. Sawyers will be suspended for 3 games as got straight red at end of Beith game on Saturday although I believe we may appeal it. Got tough competition for places with McLaughlin who has looked good in few games he has played & plays well with Hall plus of course Maxwell back soon.

How many games has Paul McLaughlin played ?

Was at the Beith game aswell as a few others this year and as a team Meadow look very strong. Not many teams will beat meadow in a physical battle. They defend well as a team and when they get themselves infront they are a solid unit to break down. Going forward they aren't at their best. Injuries have played there part but been impressed with meadow from a defensive point of view. If u can keep 4 clean sheets in this league u are doing something right. Signings seemed to have gelled aswell.

Good to hear. Meadow have a luxury of 4 top strikers in Maxwell, Sawyers, Hall and McLaughlin, speaks volumes of such quality that even at the loss of Maxwell (injury) and Sawyers (suspension) that their is more than able cover with Hall and McLaughlin ably backed up with the likes of young Gary McCann. Will be an interesting game on Saturday, all the best to Irvine.

Good to hear. Meadow have a luxury of 4 top strikers in Maxwell, Sawyers, Hall and McLaughlin, speaks volumes of such quality that even at the loss of Maxwell (injury) and Sawyers (suspension) that their is more than able cover with Hall and McLaughlin ably backed up with the likes of young Gary McCann. Will be an interesting game on Saturday, all the best to Irvine.

Thanks, will be the big test of our team on Saturday. Kilbirnie away is a very tough place to go but we did manage to win last season. Can see Maxi being a coach when he stops playing, not for a good few years yet hopefully & could see his first job being re-vitalising Ashfield if he does.

That you trying to make the guy feel better Shannon after you guys signed all their best players and management. Ha

Guy who commented on Sawyers being immobile, he hasnever been the most mobile of players but if you go and check his record he has been top goal scorer wherever he has played.

Looking forward to Saturday

Missed the Ardagh game due to work so only going on form & others comments & expecting a tough game.

We are banging them in but canny keep weans outta close defence wise while yourselves have yet to concede a goal .

Should be interesting

#COTB

Thanks, will be the big test of our team on Saturday. Kilbirnie away is a very tough place to go but we did manage to win last season. Can see Maxi being a coach when he stops playing, not for a good few years yet hopefully & could see his first job being re-vitalising Ashfield if he does.

Would rather see John and co revitalise us just now rather than later... with Maxi back as a player first....oh and Thomo....and McCann....give us Hall back as well eh :P .

Guy's how has Ex Rabs Ryan Deas been doing for the meadow ? Started the season off great for us then fell away a bit , Still capable of moments of magic though even when not at his best . Hope he does well at meadow , one of my fav players at Roy from when we had him first time around in 2007 , horrible career threatening injury but has came back well.

Oh Sawyers might struggle to get back in the team now after saturdays game eh

Until Saturday hadn't done too much of note in competitive games after scoring quite a few in friendlies. Had a decent game v Troon but struggled to get run of games thrn scored two and set up one on Saturday from a great corner. Hope he continues on from Saturday's form and should start v Port Glasgow. Can play midfield or up front so great player to have in squad.

Archived