Scottish Cup Expansion

lionel hutz

Why doesn't the Scottish FA let more teams into our cup? Down South, 737 clubs play in the FA Cup, In Scotland there are only 82. Let more Juniors in, like every team from the top league in each region, to qualify for a preliminary round(s). This would bring numbers from 82 up to over 120.

If you think the FA cup is big, the most recent edition of the French cup contained over seven thousand clubs. Not only are all amateur clubs allowed in, but teams from overseas territories also play. Imagine Man City getting drawn in a third round tie away to some team from the Falkland Islands :lol:

Format:

Prelim Rounds - All Teams that applied from Junior Levels

Round 1 - 44 Teams, All Byes and Qualifiers from Prelims
Round 2 - 64 Teams, All L2, HL and LL teams enter, plus 22 winners from last round
Round 3 - 64 Teams, when all Prem, Champ and League One sides enter competition, plus 32 winners from last round
Round 4 - 32 Teams, Winners from R3
Round 5 - 16 Teams, Winners from R4
Round 6 - 8 Teams, You get the idea

Why doesn't the Scottish FA let more teams into our cup? Down South, 737 clubs play in the FA Cup, In Scotland there are only 82. Let more Juniors in, like every team from the top league in each region, to qualify for a preliminary round(s). This would bring numbers from 82 up to over 120.

Going the other way. I think from 2015 you have to be a member of the SFA to enter the Scottish Cup and there are only 2 junior clubs who meet the criteria - Banks o Dee and Linlithgow Rose.

Going the other way. I think from 2015 you have to be a member of the SFA to enter the Scottish Cup and there are only 2 junior clubs who meet the criteria - Banks o Dee and Linlithgow Rose.

Girvan as well.

Did that idea not get booted out at the SFA's AGM yesterday?

• 2 weeks later...

No juniors, but all senior teams down through to the lowest level like Border Ams league would be good.

I would especially love this if the opening week of the season was the 1st round with all teams in from the start and it continued throughout the season

I'd go for fairly open preliminary rounds with a set number of junior getting through, although fitting the fixtures into an already crowded schedule would be the biggest problem.

artworks-000042942638-4afcqq-original.jp

Dump the juniors - they hog the press from the senior non-league teams

why do you think that is then?

Is that because the others are shite.

To a degree it's since the Juniors - for obvious reasons, by merit of them being champion clubs - are among the strongest teams in the early rounds. In the main, however, the press focus on their ties due to the 'intrigue' or apparent 'romanticism' of Senior v Junior clashes... how will the supposed plucky wee Juniors fare against Senior opposition. It's a variation on the way non-league clubs attract particular attention in the later rounds.

Archived