Linlithgow Rose 2014-15

Merrylees

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I didn't see it. Honest I didn't. Neither did the ref or either assistant but I'm sure something happened.

I thought the ref had a funny game. He called all the run-of-the-mill decisions correctly but made a hash of the major incidents. He let an assault on Roddy right at the start go unpunished but booked Batchelor for an innocuous challenge which meant his next foul, which the assistant brought to the ref's notice, saw him off the park. He had hardly been vicious and every foul from then on seemed to be a booking. He then missed the Ruari incident and the penalty, only reponding to an assistant again, then sent the wrong man off.

I thought Gemmell wasn't particularly dirty and only got his yellow card right at the end for mouthing.

I didn't see it. Honest I didn't. Neither did the ref or either assistant but I'm sure something happened.

I thought the ref had a funny game. He called all the run-of-the-mill decisions correctly but made a hash of the major incidents. He let an assault on Roddy right at the start go unpunished but booked Batchelor for an innocuous challenge which meant his next foul, which the assistant brought to the ref's notice, saw him off the park. He had hardly been vicious and every foul from then on seemed to be a booking. He then missed the Ruari incident and the penalty, only reponding to an assistant again, then sent the wrong man off.

I thought Gemmell wasn't particularly dirty and only got his yellow card right at the end for mouthing.

Pretty fair assessment of proceedings this afternoon I thought.

Don't think the equaliser was a penalty from the angle I was at but Ref has a split second to make his mind up. The in-house TV might prove whether I'm right or wrong. Batchelor's sending off was brave as I think a lot of Referee's would have said one more and your off. HoB sending off looked straight forward and fair dues to the Assistant for seeing the initial incident.

Enjoyed the game as a neutral. Looks like there could be more to come from Lithgae but on the whole the Haws could cause teams problems this season.

Doubt it. Mid table at worst as always. Consistently a hard working side and hard to beat, especially over at H.O.B. However not unbeatable.

ETA: Is there any truth in the story I heard earlier that both Coyne and Strickland were both substituted in the first half? If so were they having an off day or was it a tactical move after Batchy was sent off?

Danny made the changes at half time after the sending off to change the shape of the team.

Gemmell was quieter than usual and fell right out the game after the incident with ruari, I never ash what happened either.

Sending off for batchy was a strange one. If the officials had seen him go over the top of the ball and come down on the boys leg it should have been red not a second yellow. His 1st booking was a foul but not a booking. Their red was a head but

Hope the boy that does the video for the rose catches the cowards stamp by mclennan

Yes it was stupid but Gemmill kicked him first so the correct decision would have been both sent off. The ref had a total shocker for both sides, i didn't recognise him but let the players run the game.Loads of stoppages and only 3 mins added on at the end

I thought Batchelor's sending off was fair. Stupid challenge so soon after being booked.

Thought the HOB no. 11 was the best player on the park. Exactly the kind of player we need plus another centre half.

I thought Batchelor's sending off was fair. Stupid challenge so soon after being booked.

Thought the HOB no. 11 was the best player on the park. Exactly the kind of player we need plus another centre half.

Find it interesting how many people point to the need for a centre half. There was chat on here a few weeks ago that one wasn't needed when you missed out on the big guy Joe that was with Cowdenbeath. Was that genuine feeling or was that just fans trying to suggest that if he didn't want to sign then we don't need him anyway?

Find it interesting how many people point to the need for a centre half. There was chat on here a few weeks ago that one wasn't needed when you missed out on the big guy Joe that was with Cowdenbeath. Was that genuine feeling or was that just fans trying to suggest that if he didn't want to sign then we don't need him anyway?

For me the biggest problem is not the personnel but that we don't defend as a team.

To often when we are attacking our players don't work hard enough to get back. As a result defenders are to often badly exposed - we have failed to complete 90 minutes without conceding in our games so far this season.

To me the biggest problem is defenders who can't defend.

Symptomatic of the modern game- picking defenders for their ability to play with the ball. Similarly, you see teams picking strikers for the work they do defensively!

It's still a part of the game that you need players to 'do their job' first and by putting poor defenders in your defence you'll always leak goals no matter how good they are with the ball.

I think one of the problems is that we haven't had a consistent back 5.

Richie missed preseason at left back, McGowan came in as cover and was ill before the Penicuik game and is getting back to fitness. Ovy played the majority of preseason beside Thom and then got injured in the 1st game of the season and is a month away from playing. O'Byrne has come in and played a couple if games at centre half. Billy Gibson hasn't been replaced at right back. On top of the Christie got injured in the Penicuik game and is out for a few more weeks.

I think when all are fit it will be Christie, Spade, Thom, Ovy and Richie. That's not a bad back 5 although id like to see more competition at right back.

As auld heid says we still need to ensure that we defend as a team though which doesn't always happen

Archived