Forfarshire Cup 2014/15

Radford

The historic Forfarshire Cup returns for the 2014/15 season, where St Johnstone will try and defend the trophy won in 2012/13 (although technically that final was played in 2013/14, to the shock of no one) and the draw through to the last four stage has been made:

First Round

Forfar Athletic vs Brechin City

Dundee vs St Johnstone

Arbroath vs Montrose

Dundee United are awarded a bye.

Second Round

Arbroath/Montrose vs Dundee United

Forfar Athletic/Brechin City vs Dundee/StJohnstone

No mention if the competition will continue as an underage tournament or not.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Got to imagine Dundee will take this seriously as it's a realistic chance for them to get some silverware, so our first round tie isn't as easy as it looks on paper and I wouldn't be surprised to see us knocked out.

Please tell me you weren't attempting a troll there?

:lol:

I just like to bring up our Scottish Cup win at every opportunity, if Dundee ever get round to winning it again you might know the feeling.

TBH I was quite delighted you stopped the DABs winning it. You probably deserve your wee moment in the sun :)

Don't know why Dundee and United don't take this a bit more seriously. The prospect of a youth derby at Dens or Tannadice would surely draw a decent wee crowd.

It used to be a decent tournament, I vaguely remember a derby final at Dens when both sides used the first teamers. United won 3-2 in front of a crowd of around 6,000 or so. I think that was 1987, we played United about 8 other times that season :lol:

1987-88.

Dundee and Dundee United met 4 times in the league (during that shortlived 44-game season format)... thrice in the Scottish Cup courtesy a 2nd replay... once in the League Cup... once in the Forfarshire Cup... 9 times in total!!

It's annual but it has a history of becoming a total shambles in recent years... 2007-08 was only completed in April 2009, so there was no 2008-09 edition. Then the 2009-10 edition was abandoned with only a single R1 tie played. Then the 2010-11 edition was also abandoned with a Semi-Final plus the Final unplayed. Then the 2011-12 edition (the first with age limits applied) was only completed in August 2013, so there were no 2012-13 or 2013-14 editions.

Well there are 7 clubs that compete in the Forfarshire cup. Dundee, Dundee United, St Johnstone, Arbroath, Brechin, Montrose and Forfar.

As Dundee United finished the highest in the league they get a bye to the Semi Finals.

R1. Lowest 6 teams. United get a bye.

R2. Semi finals. United Enter.

R3. FINAL.

Would be an interesting Cup if a Junior team was invited each year to compete. Carnoustie Panmure, Tayport and Lochee United would be some good additions to the cup.

That way no team is byed.

Isn't the bye just random?

Anyway - any local Junior (or Amateur) club is at liberty to join the Forfarshire FA. Or they could have an invitational team in the cup.

It could be quite hard for a Junior club like the ones you mention, though, because the Juniors ban their clubs from playing all football (even friendlies) prior to the 3rd Saturday in July, and some ties are often played pre-season.

Some Junior clubs are also against playing football under artificial light (although not necessarily those clubs), and none of the 3 you mention have lights which could hamper midweek ties.

Never understood why this tournament, or at least the first round, isn't just arranged for a Saturday in July. We usually play at least one of the teams involved preseason anyways.

Saturdays wouldn't collide with any potential European dates for Saints or United either.

Never understood why this tournament, or at least the first round, isn't just arranged for a Saturday in July. We usually play at least one of the teams involved preseason anyways.

Saturdays wouldn't collide with any potential European dates for Saints or United either.

United dont need to worry about European dates!

United dont need to worry about European dates!

Not this season, but I was speaking in more general terms for future seasons. And trying not to gloat!

I thought about adding Dundee too, but then nobody would have taken me seriously.

• 3 weeks later...

It's annual but it has a history of becoming a total shambles in recent years... 2007-08 was only completed in April 2009, so there was no 2008-09 edition. Then the 2009-10 edition was abandoned with only a single R1 tie played. Then the 2010-11 edition was also abandoned with a Semi-Final plus the Final unplayed. Then the 2011-12 edition (the first with age limits applied) was only completed in August 2013, so there were no 2012-13 or 2013-14 editions.

You are right about it being a shambles in recent years but it was actually completed in the 2009/10 season when Brechin beat Montrose 2-1 at Links Park. I was at the game and have the teamsheet. Here are the known results.

Forfarshire Cup – 2009-10

1st round:

Forfar Athletic 2 St Johnstone 2 Sep 8

(Forfar won 5-4 on penalties, att 289)

Brechin City 4 Arbroath 0 Sep

Semi-finals:

Montrose 4 Dundee United 1 Sep 5

Brechin City Forfar Athletic

(twice postponed on 13 Oct 2010 and 9 Feb 2010)

Final:

Montrose 1 Brechin City 2 Apr 28

(at Links Park, Montrose)

Archived