Scotlands Worst ever 11?

Is that Allan Johnston? If so, it's a nonsense suggestion - he was an excellent player. Gary Holt and Andy McLaren are fairly harsh too - both only got a couple of caps and were capable players.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Goalkeeper, Stewart Kennedy. Pure shite !

I find this a tricky one. Kennedy was brilliant for Rangers in 74/75 but was worse than abject at Wembley in 'that' game. Aye, he should probably be put in the worst Scotland 11 but it pains me to admit it because he did so well beforehand.

Been watching Scotland seriously since the mid-late nineties, so I've only taken players from that period.

Paul Gallacher

Graeme Murty - Warren Cummings - Garry Kenneth - Maurice Ross

Peter Canero - Brian Kerr - Richard Hughes - Ian Black

Scott Dobie - Chris Iwelumo

Slightly harsh on a couple of those guys, Hughes was a decent midfielder in his day, and Gallacher was just capped too young, at a time when we had decent keepers in Sullivan, Gould and Douglas.

There have been threads on this before and I said on them a player needs to have played more than one or two games and been consistently shite to be in such a team. Playing just one or two games shouldn't warrant an inclusion in the team.

And dare I say it, but Iwelumo shouldn't be near such a team. In that game against Norway he totally changed it for us and offered us a genuine threat going forward, something we were missing until he came on. He was noising up the Norwegian defence and winning a lot of balls and was holding it up well. Of course he'll always be remembered for THAT miss, but the poor lad has suffered enough over it; that shouldn't warrant an inclusion in a Worst Ever Scotland XI. There have been far worse players for Scotland than him (many of whom have already been mentioned).

There have been threads on this before and I said on them a player needs to have played more than one or two games and been consistently shite to be in such a team. Playing just one or two games shouldn't warrant an inclusion in the team.

And dare I say it, but Iwelumo shouldn't be near such a team. In that game against Norway he totally changed it for us and offered us a genuine threat going forward, something we were missing until he came on. He was noising up the Norwegian defence and winning a lot of balls and was holding it up well. Of course he'll always be remembered for THAT miss, but the poor lad has suffered enough over it; that shouldn't warrant an inclusion in a Worst Ever Scotland XI. There have been far worse players for Scotland than him (many of whom have already been mentioned).

Agree re Iwelumo. Good striker on form at the time and deserved to be in the squad. I always hoped he'd get a goal for us after that game to give him something better to remember his international career by. Shame his career petered out after (or maybe because of) that miss.

Frank Haffey needs to be the keeper the guy that lost nine goals to England

Peter Grant also managed one cap a hatchet man

Peter Grant was our best player against England in 89 and he only came on just after half time.

Some harsh inclusions, i think the bar should have been set here at minimum 5 caps. Goalie Rab Douglas. Heart in the right place, erms and legs in all the wrong ones. Robbie Stockdale, Steven Caldwell, Kirk Broadfoot and Jay McEvely across the back. Jamie Smith, Richard Hughes, Scott Severin and George Boyd (looks like he just doesnt give a shit when he's played) in the middle, up front Scott Dobie and Kevin Kyle.

Some harsh inclusions, i think the bar should have been set here at minimum 5 caps. Goalie Rab Douglas. Heart in the right place, erms and legs in all the wrong ones. Robbie Stockdale, Steven Caldwell, Kirk Broadfoot and Jay McEvely across the back. Jamie Smith, Richard Hughes, Scott Severin and George Boyd (looks like he just doesnt give a shit when he's played) in the middle, up front Scott Dobie and Kevin Kyle.

You've set the bar at a minimum of 5 caps and then selected 4 players who have played less than that. Your comments about George Boyd are nonsense - he only has two caps, and one of those was a sub appearance.

The bar wasnt set so i went with players i thought/think were/are shite. Just like everyone else. Boyd genuinely just doesnt look interested to me....lets face it he hardly grew up kicking his ball around the garden dreaming it was Hampden, so i guess he probably wouldnt really be so fussed. Piss poor players getting 10 or so caps is par for the course over the last few years, but most made up.for it by trying like f**k. Dailly, Alexander, Crawford to name but three.

Goalkeeper, Stewart Kennedy. Pure shite !

Unfair on Kennedy, was the best Scottish Goalie at the time, had his worst game ever, in such a high profile game, nerves were shot after it and was never the same

Archived