Scottish League Cup 2014-15

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

has to be this week its only 3 weeks 4 days to the games getting played I need to plan my travel arrangements for the long trips to Forfar or Arbroath lol

Joke!!!!

They better make the draw a convenience draw seeing as they've been so late organising it, Dundee away, thanks. :)

Seeded clubs

Dundee

Hamilton Academical

Falkirk

Queen of the South

Dumbarton

Livingston

Raith Rovers

Alloa Athletic

Cowdenbeath

Morton

Rangers

Dunfermline Athletic

Stranraer

Ayr United

Stenhousemuir

Unseeded clubs

Airdrieonians

Forfar Athletic

Brechin City

East Fife

Arbroath

Peterhead

Annan Athletic

Stirling Albion

Clyde

Berwick Rangers

Montrose

Albion Rovers

East Stirlingshire

Elgin City

Queen's Park

I know I've said it before, but I'll say it again, it's time they stopped this nonsensical arrangement of byes. There's no good reason why Dundee and Accies should start here while Hibs and Hearts go straight into R2, and there's no good reason why Dundee United should be getting straight into R3.

I know I've said it before, but I'll say it again, it's time they stopped this nonsensical arrangement of byes. There's no good reason why Dundee and Accies should start here while Hibs and Hearts go straight into R2, and there's no good reason why Dundee United should be getting straight into R3.

'Good reason' and 'football administration' are hardly ever found in the same sentence are they ?

If the clubs were unhappy with this then they should vote to change it

last season Hibs were classed as the 11th best team in the country, Hearts the 12th, Dundee 13th and Hamilton 14th thus qualified for the competition in the appropriate rounds.

Next season Dundee and Hamilton will get the reward for their promotions and Hearts and Hibs will pay for their relegation in this cup. (Well unless they change the rules for Rangers)

I am still not sure why they are sticking the the false European place for the 5th qualifier when we will have 4 teams in Europe for some time to come.

last season Hibs were classed as the 11th best team in the country, Hearts the 12th, Dundee 13th and Hamilton 14th thus qualified for the competition in the appropriate rounds.

Next season Dundee and Hamilton will get the reward for their promotions and Hearts and Hibs will pay for their relegation in this cup. (Well unless they change the rules for Rangers)

I am still not sure why they are sticking the the false European place for the 5th qualifier when we will have 4 teams in Europe for some time to come.

Hibs were the 11th highest ranked team in the country, not the 11th best. There is a massive difference. Hibs had the saving grace that they ran out of teams who could over take them.

Draws tomorrow.

Arbroath will find out who they face in the first round of the League Cup tomorrow as the draw takes place at Dumbarton's Bet Butler Stadium at 2pm

All 30 clubs who competed in League 2, League 1 and the Championship will be involved in the draw which is seeded due to league position.

The first round game will take place on Saturday 2nd August.

We will bring you the draw tomorrow as it happe...ns.

Seeded clubs
Dundee
Hamilton Academical
Falkirk
Queen of the South
Dumbarton
Livingston
Raith Rovers
Alloa Athletic
Cowdenbeath
Morton
Rangers
Dunfermline Athletic
Stranraer
Ayr United
Stenhousemuir

Unseeded clubs
Airdrieonians
Forfar Athletic
Brechin City
East Fife
Arbroath
Peterhead
Annan Athletic
Stirling Albion
Clyde
Berwick Rangers
Montrose
Albion Rovers
East Stirlingshire
Elgin City
Queen's Park

So why in the Scottish Cup will Arbroath & East Fife be entering in R2, while Peterhead & Stirling Albion enter in R3? Clubs in the lower levels should enter in the earlier rounds. That's also what they do in England. It's been even worse in past seasons when the dates have clashed and the League Cup R1 tie got bumped to midweek.

That said, if they scrapped the bye for Dundee United they could have all 4 in R2, which would be a fair compromise.

Surely every Premier League club and Championship could enter in the last 32... that would be easiest.

Round 1: 20 clubs, all League One/Two clubs.

Round 2: 32, all Premier League and Championship clubs plus ten winners from Round 1.

Simple?

Yes and that's (roughly) how it used to work.

Problem is the number of European dates now. From this season there is scope for an extra autumn midweek (the midweek of the SuperCup previously used for the August friendly), which could be used for an all-in Last 32... but you'd have a fairly tight turnaround R1 > R2.

Another criticism of the current odd format is that it gives a few clubs a stop-start season opening... e.g. Hearts play on Sat 26th July, then don't play for a fortnight.

I don't see why the Europe thing is such an issue. All English clubs that have qualified for Europe enter at the last thirty-two of the Football League Cup. They play 38 league games same as in SPD and enter one round earlier in the big cup. Plus, realistically, English clubs are more likely to have to play a large number of European games.

Yes - but they accomodate that 'extra date' by playing on the midweek before Christmas. Which is highly undesirable.

If we were to return to a Last 32 League Cup, it'd have to be as I outlined, IMO.

Archived