Stirlingshire Cup 2014-15

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Congratulations to the Shire, and best of luck in the rest of the competition.

I'm happy to repeat that.

However, the point stands. Why do some clubs play almost 1st teams and others show such disdain that it's not even a reserve side?

Answer: It's become irrelevant and should be properly run, or scrapped.

Congratulations to the Shire, and best of luck in the rest of the competition.

I'm happy to repeat that.

However, the point stands. Why do some clubs play almost 1st teams and others show such disdain that it's not even a reserve side?

Answer: It's become irrelevant and should be properly run, or scrapped.

In fairness, you can say the same about most cup competitions these days, especially in England. Finishing seventh in the league is supposed to be a greater goal than winning silverware. Surely you're as well chucking it in when you get to that stage.

I do find the inability to finish the damned tournament hilarious, though. How many years have we been playing catch-up with finals, now? Eventually they'll need to have a day where the previous years' finalists come out and play, followed by the current years' finalists, who then immediately retrieve the cup from the old winners :P

They need to get the damned thing over and done with before the season starts; just set aside a couple of weeks and play all the games. There'd be more interest if there was a regular period when it all happens. As it stands, you have to be really on the ball to know when the games are on - I've missed games before because I didn't check our website for a week or so. Tragic considering that it might be the only time that some of these local rivals play each other during the course of a season.

Has there been a date set for our semi-final yet? Do the Stirlingshire FA even have a website to find out? :huh:

What is the actual point of this crap trophy? It's not 1885 any more.

Either make it first team, or under 21 or pick an age. What's the point of us putting out a team of 17 year olds against almost a shire first team?

. Almost a Shire first team? Think you may want to look at that again as only McKenna and Greene would be classed as Regular 1st team everyone else was under 19 with many 16 or 17. Apart from McKenna all players were under 20. If you use your point 10 from 11 shire players would still have been played if it was under 21. Perhaps the best team just won. Like today's result in the development cup.

• 6 months later...

We've got a semi against Stenny next Tuesday (matron). 7:30pm kick-off. How on Earth do people find out about these things? I only know because it was in our last programme, but without any opponent mentioned. All very hush-hush.

Should actually be an interesting game to see how the team measures up against lower-division (for now) opposition these days. Also an opportunity for a (technically) competitive home win before the season's out. Stick the first team out and get it done, however tragic it may appear   :(

Seen it on twitter last night. Wee bit meh tbh, ill go because its covered in the season ticket but that's mainly the only reason. I'd like too see Jack Ross play a team that is likely to be played next year something along the lines of

Gallagher

Wilson Marr Hill Finnie

Holmes/Flannigan A young player (not sure who)

Megginson Caddis Hetherington

Layne/Hynd

Would be nice to finish the season with a cup of some sort...which can't happen anyway, as the final will probably be played back-to-back with the next one in 2017   :wacko:

I'd like to see Scotty Hynd getting a run-out as the main striking target too. We know exactly what Isaac can/can't do for the first team, at this stage.

I'd forgotten all about this... I'm right in saying that the other Semi-Final is East Stirlingshire v Dumbarton, and has also yet to be played?

Doubt that will be played soon as Shire will be concentrating on trying to stay in the league. Indeed, perhaps they will be a non-league club by the time it gets played.

There's clearly no interest in this cup now then. Would be sad to lose it altogether though.

Should get it as a proper pre season tournament with more clubs ie:

Alloa

Falkirk

Dumbarton

Stirling

Shire

Stirling uni

Sauchie juniors

Camelon Juniors

Bo'ness is also localish

This would be 9 teams so it would still be awkward numbers though, is there any other local junior sides?

You forgot Stenhousemuir.

There are some other Junior clubs in the Stirlingshire FA catchment (for what that matters nowadays) - Linlithgow Rose, Falkirk Juniors, Dunipace - or of course numerous clubs along the M80 corridor towards Dumbarton.

However adding Juniors isn't really feasible.

Their own rules forbid them from playing games before the 3rd Saturday in July, and most of them don't have floodlights (or oppose playing by them).

Stirling Uni could join just now but haven't, presumably as they'd lack so many players in July and are so busy thereafter.

You forgot Stenhousemuir.

There are some other Junior clubs in the Stirlingshire FA catchment (for what that matters nowadays) - Linlithgow Rose, Falkirk Juniors, Dunipace - or of course numerous clubs along the M80 corridor towards Dumbarton.

However adding Juniors isn't really feasible.

Their own rules forbid them from playing games before the 3rd Saturday in July, and most of them don't have floodlights (or oppose playing by them).

Stirling Uni could join just now but haven't, presumably as they'd lack so many players in July and are so busy thereafter.

Stenhousemuir completely slipped my mind. It's the team we're playing next Tuesday aswell :lol: I didn't realise juniors clubs had restrictions on when they could play why is that?

It's a long-standing rule: the season can go up to the 3rd Saturday in June so the rationale at the time was that it guaranteed a month's closed season. However, it can mean a long lay-off and little opportunity to play Senior clubs in friendlies/etc.

Three years ago the North Juniors - who finish earlier (and are more liberal towards floodlights) - proposed allowing each region to set their own start.

On that occasion it was voted down, but last year it was introduced again and passed.

North Juniors promptly voted to start 1st Saturday in July, but the East and West Juniors both voted to retain 3rd Saturday in July.

It's a long-standing rule: the season can go up to the 3rd Saturday in June so the rationale at the time was that it guaranteed a month's closed season. However, it can mean a long lay-off and little opportunity to play Senior clubs in friendlies/etc.

Three years ago the North Juniors - who finish earlier (and are more liberal towards floodlights) - proposed allowing each region to set their own start.

On that occasion it was voted down, but last year it was introduced again and passed.

North Juniors promptly voted to start 1st Saturday in July, but the East and West Juniors both voted to retain 3rd Saturday in July.

Would it not be much simpler then too just change the rule to no games up until a month of completion of the season before?

My preference for this tournament would be:

Falkirk

Alloa 

Stenhousemuir

Stirling

East Stirling

Dumbarton

All having automatic entry as they are seniors.

2 groups of 3 made from:

Stirling Uni

Bo'ness

Camelon

Falkirk Juniors 

Dunipace

Sauchie

With the 2 winners qualifying for the final 8 then a straight knock out.

Probably impractical but f**k it, I like it.

My preference for this tournament would be:

Falkirk

Alloa

Stenhousemuir

Stirling

East Stirling

Dumbarton

All having automatic entry as they are seniors.

2 groups of 3 made from:

Stirling Uni

Bo'ness

Camelon

Falkirk Juniors

Dunipace

Sauchie

With the 2 winners qualifying for the final 8 then a straight knock out.

Probably impractical but f**k it, I like it.

Stirling uni are also senior just not national league. It's not inconceivable to think next season shire could be lowland league aswell meaning another rehash of numbers.

Archived