Heyhey. I'm impressed with the accuracy of my own deductions!!

I've certainly can't recall ever noticing anything in the rules about the holders having a special status - so presumably the reference is just a "nod" to them being holders, unless it was added at the AGM just been. Only reason I could imagine for doing so would be Europe - as with the League Cup - but I don't think a club entering at an earlier stage has ever won the Cup? (Apart from maybe Queen's Park in the 1890s: they may have been coming in through the Qualifying Cup the season they won it as a non-league club).

It's an interesting Preliminary Round this season - 8 ties, 6 lucky byes, and clubs ranging in quality from the Junior big guns and Lothian THV to the dregs.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Heyhey. I'm impressed with the accuracy of my own deductions!!

I've certainly can't recall ever noticing anything in the rules about the holders having a special status - so presumably the reference is just a "nod" to them being holders, unless it was added at the AGM just been. Only reason I could imagine for doing so would be Europe - as with the League Cup - but I don't think a club entering at an earlier stage has ever won the Cup? (Apart from maybe Queen's Park in the 1890s: they may have been coming in through the Qualifying Cup the season they won it as a non-league club).

It's an interesting Preliminary Round this season - 8 ties, 6 lucky byes, and clubs ranging in quality from the Junior big guns and Lothian THV to the dregs.

The detail was picked up by St Johnstone social media and the fans certainly liked the detail.

I know I should be over it but seeing Gretna in the draw gave me nightmares. I still maintain the ground should have been sold after what that club did.

The detail was picked up by St Johnstone social media and the fans certainly liked the detail.

I know I should be over it but seeing Gretna in the draw gave me nightmares. I still maintain the ground should have been sold after what that club did.

The new Gretna 2008 had to buy it back from the company who acquired it after the liquidation of the old Gretna. They paid £250k for it.

As noted by Craigkillie, it was sold by the liquidators to a property development company from the Isle of Man. Gretna 2008 FC played their first season in existence at an athletics ground in Annan before they and other local organisations gained a lease on Raydale and the accompanying social club and car park, from those developers. (That may not be 100% spot-on in terms of who owned or owns what but it's close enough). Subsequently the trust which the organisations formed has bought the ground outright from the developers. According to Craigkillie's linked article it cost £250k with £100k raised by them.

I don't think you can fault what Gretna fans did. They didn't "do a Newco" or look to some other dodge, they have always been clear that they regard their team as a new club: Gretna 2008. Even though they bought rights to Gretna FC's logo off the liquidator, IIRC, they use a variation.

GretnaFC_crest_defunct.pngGretna_2008_FC_Crest.png

But, ok, they use their traditional colours.

They have worked their way up 2 tiers, having joined the EOS First Division, and slogged away to get SFA membership: they deserve their slot in the cup.

There's less reason to baulk at the thought of Gretna 2008 entering than at the thought of Rangers, Airdrie United, or even Clachnacuddin.

I felt sick when I saw the name Gretna aswell, but not for any other reason than the effect that season still has on me

Fair enough, but its a team I hope we never have to play again.

What level of support are they getting now they are not ;"living the dream"

Last season their average home league attendance was 143, which apparently isn't dissimilar to what the got back in the Unibond league.

I think it's fallen somewhat since 2008/09/10/11 sort of timeperiod. Certainly their away support has.

Pre-Mileson's adventure they averaged in the 400s in SFL3.

With still no sign of the draw, I copied-n-pasted the clubs into one off those random draw generators - to give an idea of what the round could like in terms of the number of ties/byes, and I suppose the difference in quality of some of the clubs. Would've been an interesting set:

Wigtown v Cove

Culter v Newton Stewart

Auchinleck v Bo'ness

Lothian Thistle v Glasgow Uni

St Cuthbert v Golspie

Edinburgh City v Vale of Leithen

Coldstream v Civil Service

Burntisland v Hurlford

byes - Hawick, Girvan, Dalbeattie, Gala, Fort William, Edinburgh University

Lothian Thistle HV v Burntisland Shipyard

Auchinleck Talbot v St Cuthbert Wanderers

Hurlford Utd v Edinburgh Uni

Glasgow Uni v Cove Rangers

Vale of Leithen v Gala Fairydean Rovers

Newton Stewart v Hawick Royal Albert

Edinburgh City v Fort William

Wigtown & Bladnoch v Civil Service Strollers

BYES: Bo'ness Utd, Coldstream, Culter, Dalbeattie Star, Girvan, Golspie Sutherland.

An interesting draw.

Lothian Thistle, Auchinleck, Hurlford, Cove and Edinburgh City should all expect to win their ties... probably with something to spare. Edinburgh University, while a capable team, face a Hurlford outfit which is clearly very good and has the additional advantage of the home fixture before the academic year is in.

Rest look to be closer. Vale-Gala is a LL and a Border derby. On last season's form you'd have to favour Vale, but they have been weakened by financial turmoil and lost most players whereas Gala have strengthened. Newton Stewart v Hawick is a true battle of the diddies. Wigtown v Civil SS is intriguing, on paper Wigtown as SOSL champions should dispatch the EOS Premier tableproppers but Civil have reinforced and the SOSL is weak.

An interesting draw.

Lothian Thistle, Auchinleck, Hurlford, Cove and Edinburgh City should all expect to win their ties... probably with something to spare. Edinburgh University, while a capable team, face a Hurlford outfit which is clearly very good and has the additional advantage of the home fixture before the academic year is in.

Rest look to be closer. Vale-Gala is a LL and a Border derby. On last season's form you'd have to favour Vale, but they have been weakened by financial turmoil and lost most players whereas Gala have strengthened. Newton Stewart v Hawick is a true battle of the diddies. Wigtown v Civil SS is intriguing, on paper Wigtown as SOSL champions should dispatch the EOS Premier tableproppers but Civil have reinforced and the SOSL is weak.

I wouldn't be so confident about Cove Rangers unless Glasgow Uni are really poor. Cove were pants last season, not sure what they've done in the summer though.

I wouldn't be so confident about Cove Rangers unless Glasgow Uni are really poor. Cove were pants last season, not sure what they've done in the summer though.

Cove now have a new manager John Sheran who was there before and won the league with them, they have also been pretty busy with new signings so i'd imagine they will be a lot better this season coming.

They would have to be a complete underwear department to lose to Glasgow University in August, whether or not the game is at Firhill...? Uni aren't even in the top level of the Caledonian Amateur League, IIRC, and have won 1 Scottish Cup tie since 1968 (and it was 1-0 v Burntisland). Cove smashed them 4-0 at Garscube in 2011.

- but I don't think a club entering at an earlier stage has ever won the Cup? (Apart from maybe Queen's Park in the 1890s: they may have been coming in through the Qualifying Cup the season they won it as a non-league club).

Superb stat, HJ, and one that I had never even thought of. Yet another thing for me to trot out when I'm steamin' and boring people shitless with various "QP are the best team EVER!" facts and figures.

Archived