Kenny Shiels away

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If true, you wonder why they appointed Shiels in the first place given they were as good as down before Christmas. They needed a manager with a longer term vision to build a credible titles challenging team at League One level - now they need to start over again with a new manager as well as a new team.

The last time we sunk to the pitiful depths of third tier football we were able to bounce back up at the first time of asking. I think Morton are far more likely to emulate Clyde than ourselves, and will stay at that kind of level until that imbecile Rae does them a favour and croaks it.

When Moore was sacked we were 3 points behind cowdenbeath with 22 games to go. And thistle were shit the last time they were in the 3rd tier, and were very lucky to go up through the play-offs.

Not quite sure why Morton fans would be happy to see Sheils go. The last 6 games he's won 3, drawn 1, and lost 2. Given how awful they were before he took over, surely that's progress. The turn around from being in contention for promotion last season, and collapsing this, is not down to him. He's an arse on the radio, but he's probably the best manager Morton could have got on the wages they'll be offering.

And thistle were shit the last time they were in the 3rd tier, and were very lucky to go up through the play-offs.

We were indeed, but still ended up in a better place than Peterhead and Morton who both, essentially, bottled it whereas we held our nerve where it mattered (and it wouldn't prove to be the last time Morton would bottle a promotion contest with their Glasgow superiors.

Given the extent of this season's disaster, the current uncertainty regarding both the management and playing staff, and the presence of an egotistical and completely brain-dead chairman, I think Morton ought to be happy enough with a bit of stability next season with promotion viewed as a 2-3 year ambition: emulating our (albeit utterly shite) play-off success, given the current state of the club, would be something everyone associated with Morton would probably be delighted with.

We were indeed, but still ended up in a better place than Peterhead and Morton who both, essentially, bottled it whereas we held our nerve where it mattered (and it wouldn't prove to be the last time Morton would bottle a promotion contest with their Glasgow superiors. Given the extent of this season's disaster, the current uncertainty regarding both the management and playing staff, and the presence of an egotistical and completely brain-dead chairman, I think Morton ought to be happy enough with a bit of stability next season with promotion viewed as a 2-3 year ambition: emulating our (albeit utterly shite) play-off success, given the current state of the club, would be something everyone associated with Morton would probably be delighted with.

We certainly bottled it that year against Peterhead, no question. But I'm not sure that limping to 4th place and hoping other teams bottle it in the play-offs is a good way forward for the club. I would have liked a bit of stability at the club, and for that reason I wouldn't have protested too much if Shiels had stayed. But he resigned, and I don't think that will be the worst thing for us. In any case, how could Shiels trust a team that went out and lost 10 goals? There's no way he could trust that lot again, especially considering how little respect they showed for his management by doing that. So we were always in for a summer of big changes - it may as well start from a clean slate.

Heard he's able to retire off the Accies bung! Great to see that they are using their McCarthy inheritance well..

We give good bungs alright. Dundee should do a deal with us next time their debts are killing them... Hang around, it's due to happen any minute.

If true, you wonder why they appointed Shiels in the first place given they were as good as down before Christmas. They needed a manager with a longer term vision to build a credible titles challenging team at League One level - now they need to start over again with a new manager as well as a new team.

The last time we sunk to the pitiful depths of third tier football we were able to bounce back up at the first time of asking. I think Morton are far more likely to emulate Clyde than ourselves, and will stay at that kind of level until that imbecile Rae does them a favour and croaks it.

When Moore was sacked we were 3 points behind cowdenbeath with 22 games to go. And thistle were shit the last time they were in the 3rd tier, and were very lucky to go up through the play-offs.

Yes, but when Moore was sacked Morton had just played all of their easier games in the second quarter of the season, in which Moore got just a handful of points, and by the time Shiels actually took over an extra few defeats had been added to the board. The bottom line was, despite SpoonTon's continual 'Ian Murray' straw man (who had Dumbarton out of the bottom spot in a tighter league by New Year - never on the cards for Morton this season), Shiels was appointed and assigned a task of avoiding relegation that was unrealistic. Given Cowdenbeath's subsequent strong performances, it simply wasn't on the cards - as opposed to overhauling a rank Airdrie outfit last season; we were that Airdrie side, all season.

That said despite Rae's bizarre outbursts in the press last month it seemed that the club would uneasily continue regardless of the most obvious, signposted relegation in football history. The number of goals conceded on Saturday rather than the margin probably swung things - though I fail to see why 8-0 is better, if not actually a worse score-line than Saturday, it would have been blamed on a rank squad of players.

It's very difficult to call next season given the unknown budgetary difference between the worst full-time side and the seaside league outfits, the overall standard of that league by now, and whether any genuinely good players or managers will bother going to this serial soap opera club by now. Saturday's result could well have a hangover into next season, the complete squad rebuild will undoubtedly lead to a slower start than expected. If the club fails to get out of the league at the first attempt then the shit will finally start finding its intended boardroom target.

?

Would you not go through Dundee to get to those grounds? If not, which way would you go?

For Forfar, you could also take the A94 at Perth through Coupar Angus.

Edit to add: Only if their were hold ups going through Dundee, although via Coupar Angus is a tiny bit shorter, it would take more time.

We give good bungs alright. Dundee should do a deal with us next time their debts are killing them... Hang around, it's due to happen any minute.

It appears so! Shame it's been pissed against a wall this time isn't it! Oh well.. Not to worry.. We will give you a shout at the next meltdown... ;P

At least with Rangers in the league next year your guaranteed maximum points from one of the teams.. They need all the bungs they can get!

Yes, but when Moore was sacked Morton had just played all of their easier games in the second quarter of the season, in which Moore got just a handful of points, and by the time Shiels actually took over an extra few defeats had been added to the board. The bottom line was, despite SpoonTon's continual 'Ian Murray' straw man (who had Dumbarton out of the bottom spot in a tighter league by New Year - never on the cards for Morton this season), Shiels was appointed and assigned a task of avoiding relegation that was unrealistic. Given Cowdenbeath's subsequent strong performances, it simply wasn't on the cards - as opposed to overhauling a rank Airdrie outfit last season; we were that Airdrie side, all season.

The 'Ian Murray' argument has very little to do with the teams he overhauled. You're conviently ignoring the facts here; Ian Murray's Dumbarton side beat every single team in the division last season - it was an exceptional turnaround, and an extreme sign of what is possible.

Lets not forget that I never said that Shiels should be judged on whether he kept us up or not (I certainly didn't ask to finish 43 points, beating every other team in the league in the process), but always maintained that 30-35 points was a realistic target. Lets not forget that you yourself hadn't ruled out a collapse by Cowdenbeath at that point - there was no sure way of knowing how realistic it was, but finishing on 26 points was not quite competetive enough in any case (did you imagine us finishing on 26 points when you had us finishing in 9th place*?).His most significant failure was not making us competitive enough in the matches against Cowdenbeath and an awful Alloa side. I also never called for Shiels to be sacked after Saturday, just that I'm not terribly disappointed that he resigned due to the lingering doubts I had about him (which Saturday simply served as a reminder of).

Barring an implosion/administration/both then the best Shiels could realistically do is finish 9th and win the play-offs.

Dundee

Raith

Falkirk

Alloa

Hamilton

Livingston

Dumbarton

Queen of the South

Morton ®

Cowdenbeath ®

For Forfar, you could also take the A94 at Perth through Coupar Angus.

Edit to add: Only if their were hold ups going through Dundee, although via Coupar Angus is a tiny bit shorter, it would take more time.

Pretty similar journey time, unless you get stuck behind a tractor, and avoids all the Dundee roundabouts... although going via Dundee lets you stop at the Horn for one of their famous bacon rolls

Stopping anywhere for food when you're going to Forfar is madness. I intend to avoid eating for two days before our trips to Forfar so I can cram as many bridies in as possible.

Sheils is an idiot and should be nowhere near a football club. Anyone who saw his old twitter account knows what I'm talking about.

Only a complete simpleton could think that it was actually Kenny Shiels on that Twitter account.

Pretty similar journey time, unless you get stuck behind a tractor, and avoids all the Dundee roundabouts... although going via Dundee lets you stop at the Horn for one of their famous bacon rolls

If you intend to buy anything from The Horn on your journey, remember to remortgage your house before you set off.

Archived