Broomhill Sports Club

Broomhill Ultra

Utterly irrelevant examples seeing as neither of the Junior sides you quoted are top Junior division material and are unlikely to ever be any time soon. Morton vs. Talbot and Dunfermline vs. Linlithgow not quite so ridiculous as it reflects what can happen in L1 already.

*If* there was regionalisation below the Championship, it would largely involve the 20 clubs that make up L1 and L2. For clubs like Morton and Dunfermline it would make little difference bar losing a trip or two to say Forfar and Montrose and gaining ones to perhaps Spartans or, if involved, Meadow / Auchinleck / Linlithgow.

Crowds would perhaps be bigger as away supports would potentially go up.

I dunno, I don't know if it would make much of a difference anyway, but the local nature of football in the leagues outwith SPFL attracts supporters for the convenience. I'd like to know who the best supported Junior side are just now in Fife and how that compares to Cowden.

One thing rarely mentioned when discussing such things is the size of away supports in the Juniors. A lot of fans go every week (I'd say at Pollok it is not far off 50% of the support, especially for games close to hand) and that is just not the case in the higher divisions. The cost of travel and admission puts off a lot of people. The ability to not be able to go every week would be a hindrance when selling a step up a level.

I lived down in England for a bit as a teenager and adopted the local team (whose most famous player of that time is my avatar). I'd go to away games when I could, most of which were 1/2 hours away on the supporters bus, and one a 30 minute train journey away. As soon as they got into the Conference, the games I could realistically go to reduced to maybe 2 or 3 a season. Within a year, out the habit, I'd stopped going as often to home games as well. Habit is a fine thing.

This may sound a little arrogant but I find frankly the idea we should be playing regionally at this level ridiculous , doesn't matter weather you mention Linlithgow or thornton hibs. Ft teams playing regional football is farcical, and yes it does tend to be the larger sides that are ft, but it's far from an uncommon occurrence for L1 to contain ft teams. I also think that's the case for larger pt sides, they pay wages that could be seen as a ft wage, or bloody close to it.

It should also be mentioned by regionalising you are probably increasing traveling times for many, we may lose a trip to Stranraer/ayr for example, but we'd get Peterhead and Elgin in exchange, further journeys!

• Replies 403
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was at Albion Rovers v Elgin City earlier in the season, crowd was around the 350 mark, with maybe 10 from Elgin.

If Rovers were instead facing Talbot, Rose, Pollok or Bo'ness in a regionalised set-up, would it not be more beneficial financially as well as more convernient? I'm sure these clubs would bring more than 10.

Probably, the argument is really is it worth it for bigger clubs like Morton or Dunfermline. If you had regional leagues you would effectively have these teams playing teams who would otherwise be two tiers below them in a national set up. I think there is a solid, legitimate and reasoned argument for a 3 way regionisation from SPFL4 down, I don't think it really applies to SPFL3 unless both league above were expanded. It's notable that there aren't any SPFL3 clubs scrambling to play in a regional league.

There's no reason why it would have to still be 12-10 for the top two tiers. Something like 12-14 would provide the breathing space needed to make relegation of full-time clubs unlikely unless they are in financial meltdown. Below that if things were split east-west-north, the travel would be reasonable for the format aimed primarily at part-time rather than full-time clubs.

There's no reason why it would have to still be 12-10 for the top two tiers. Something like 12-14 would provide the breathing space needed to make relegation of full-time clubs unlikely unless they are in financial meltdown. Below that if things were split east-west-north, the travel would be reasonable.

I quite agree, 14-14 would be better though, it's better to keep things uniform and I think the premiership would be enriched by gaining two teams (and presumably and extra relegation place). I would be slightly sad to see the old 10 team 1st division go though, it's a format that had given us some incredibly competitive and exciting seasons.

Probably, the argument is really is it worth it for bigger clubs like Morton or Dunfermline. If you had regional leagues you would effectively have these teams playing teams who would otherwise be two tiers below them in a national set up. I think there is a solid, legitimate and reasoned argument for a 3 way regionisation from SPFL4 down, I don't think it really applies to SPFL3 unless both league above were expanded. It's notable that there aren't any SPFL3 clubs scrambling to play in a regional league.

OK to use that example, Morton v Peterhead or Morton v Auchinleck, Dunfermline v Stranraer or Dunfermline v Linlithgow? is there really any difference. I personally think there are far too many clubs playing nationally, I would regionalise SFL3, it's nuts having these clubs traipsing all over the place on crowds of 300.

However, it will never happen.

This may sound a little arrogant but I find frankly the idea we should be playing regionally at this level ridiculous , doesn't matter weather you mention Linlithgow or thornton hibs. Ft teams playing regional football is farcical, and yes it does tend to be the larger sides that are ft, but it's far from an uncommon occurrence for L1 to contain ft teams. I also think that's the case for larger pt sides, they pay wages that could be seen as a ft wage, or bloody close to it.

It should also be mentioned by regionalising you are probably increasing traveling times for many, we may lose a trip to Stranraer/ayr for example, but we'd get Peterhead and Elgin in exchange, further journeys!

Which would beg the question of why you were trying to be full-time in the 3rd tier.

Which would beg the question of why you were trying to be full-time in the 3rd tier.

Erm... Because they can and it gives them a competitive advantage over the pt teams. If you can sustain ft football why wouldn't you?

OK to use that example, Morton v Peterhead or Morton v Auchinleck, Dunfermline v Stranraer or Dunfermline v Linlithgow? is there really any difference. I personally think there are far too many clubs playing nationally, I would regionalise SFL3, it's nuts having these clubs traipsing all over the place on crowds of 300.

However, it will never happen.

Why not regionalise the SPL and play off for the championship then? Motherwell v Ross County or Motherwell v Airdrie, Inverness v Kilmarnock or Inverness v Elgin?

I think two national leagues, no less than 14 teams a piece, would be a sufficient national set up, regionals below that, fair enough.

Why not regionalise the SPL and play off for the championship then? Motherwell v Ross County or Motherwell v Airdrie, Inverness v Kilmarnock or Inverness v Elgin?

I think two national leagues, no less than 14 teams a piece, would be a sufficient national set up, regionals below that, fair enough.

Why would you regionalise the SPL which is full time professional football attracting attendances anywhere between 3,500-60,000?

The point is, having part-time teams potentialy travel 200+ miles for a league game, particuarly on the oft used example of a "wet Tuesday night" makes no sense, and it does nothing for these clubs trying to attract a crowd, where generally away fans can be counted in dozens, if you're lucky.

Enigma covers it but It basically comes down to because we can. Why else? More to the point why wouldn't we do it?

Because the expense of it nearly put you out of business further up the league structure never mind in the 3 rd tier..

Full Time in the 3rd tier is just unsustainable unless you have a sugar daddy ;)

Because the expense of it nearly put you out of business further up the league structure never mind in the 3 rd tier..

Full Time in the 3rd tier is just unsustainable unless you have a sugar daddy ;)

Take it the wink is to suggest your post isn't meant to be accurate? Because that's exactly what you have achieved.

The sugar daddy part.

Why did the Pars nearly go out of business then if it wasn't for lack of cash? I just find it strange that there are full time teams in the third tier of Scottish football.

The sugar daddy part.

Why did the Pars nearly go out of business then if it wasn't for lack of cash? I just find it strange that there are full time teams in the third tier of Scottish football.

Well of course it was lack of cash, but the reasons for that lack of cash was little to do with our ft status.

Edit- and it's sustainable in the 3rd tier as long as your income is high enough, which for now for ourselves it certainly should be, even if we are in the same division next year(I.e lose rangers games and to a much much lesser degree potentially east fife)

Can I also apologise to those wanting to discuss broomhill for my part in dragging this way off-topic.

Can I also apologise to those wanting to discuss broomhill for my part in dragging this way off-topic.

Tbf there's not much to discuss about the actual club at present!

In regards to regionalisation I completely agree with the three regions idea but surely between that and the national leagues there should be a north / south split with the best 40, 32, 24 or whatever teams being allocated purely on geography and not their current status. It is madness in the longer term that a team like fort William are one tier below nationals as a pyramid should very roughly have the same standard of teams across each tier. In east and west at least achieving that should be pretty straightforward.

Wonder what colour BSC will play in? I would go for sky blue and black with maroon socks.

Tbf there's not much to discuss about the actual club at present!

In regards to regionalisation I completely agree with the three regions idea but surely between that and the national leagues there should be a north / south split with the best 40, 32, 24 or whatever teams being allocated purely on geography and not their current status. It is madness in the longer term that a team like fort William are one tier below nationals as a pyramid should very roughly have the same standard of teams across each tier. In east and west at least achieving that should be pretty straightforward.

Wonder what colour BSC will play in? I would go for sky blue and black with maroon socks.

Do you not have a set of colours used throughout the youth teams?

Do you not have a set of colours used throughout the youth teams?

Yes kit is all blue (between rangers and scotland) with different tops for matches - usually Kilmarnock stripes for my lads team. Before my time they may have played in thistle's colours but not sure about that.

Yes kit is all blue (between rangers and scotland) with different tops for matches - usually Kilmarnock stripes for my lads team. Before my time they may have played in thistle's colours but not sure about that.

Hmm, dark blue and white stripes? More west brom than killie, though I personally wouldn't go quite as dark as west brom.

Keeps your blue theme, and I can't really think of anyone else that plays in those colours. Certainly keeps your strip distinct from the senior Glasgow teams.

Never mind the colour of the strips ffs, are there any decent boozers near your ground?

Grimbo

One right at the ground Grim.

Not a CAMRA recommended one but decent enough inside.

Archived