Confirmed Championship Issues

Last night's win for Morton over Dumbarton officially confirmed that Dundee and Hamilton will make the promotion playoff at worst this season, though both are obviously currently more interested in the title. It also kept Morton alive at the bottom for another five days at least.

I'm going to keep this updated with the positions as they become confirmed or can be confirmed.

League Title

Looks like it will go to the last day with Dundee and Hamilton split only by goals scored at the moment. Technically Falkirk (6 points adrift) and Queen of the South (11 points behind) can still win the league also. With Queens not playing this weekend that will still be the case on Saturday regardless of the result in the Hamilton v Dundee game.

Promotion Playoffs

Dundee and Hamilton are now confirmed as definite playoff qualifiers if they don't make the automatic promotion spot. 11 points clear of 5th, Falkirk could potentially clinch a place too on Saturday if they beat Cowdenbeath and neither Livingston nor Dumbarton win their games.

Queen of the South look good favourites for the remaining spot six points clear of their two nearest challengers but even if we were playing Saturday nothing could be confirmed there.

Relegation

Morton will be automatically relegated if they fail to beat Livingston on Saturday or even if they do they'll be relegated if Cowdenbeath beat Falkirk.

Relegation Playoff Spot

Cowdenbeath remain 4 points adrift of Alloa with Raith a further 2 ahead. It looks like this will probably go into the last fortnight at least. Nothing can be settled this week.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We're currently closer to 5th place than we are to 8th. I reckon Rovers need to try to get into that mindset as opposed to looking over our shoulder. Obviously, things can change quickly and we've had some horrendous league form since December. Once the cup final is over, hopefully we'll be able to focus on winning our league games and trying to push on, regardless of the result on Sunday.

We're currently closer to 5th place than we are to 8th.

No you're not. You are 2 points from 8th and 3 points from 5th.

You are also 6 points from the relegation playoff spot (9th) and 9 points from the promotion one (4th). I don't disagree with your sentiments but whilst Raith are the closest side to having nothing to play for (other than Morton obviously), they are still at this time more likely to be considered in the relegation mix than the promotion one and with you not playing Saturday that isn't likely to change in the next week or so.

Realistically we need to try and win out next 2 league games and hope Cowden don't win this weekend, dont want this going down to the wire. Hoping we are getting a bit more confidence back now we have a settled defence and getting results

So, an interesting bag of results today that actually resolved pretty much nothing at all!

League Title

Still looks like it will go to the last day with Dundee and Hamilton split only by goals scored following their 1-1 draw today. Falkirk closed to four points behind with still four games to play but I doubt they'll catch both of them. Queen of the South, who had no game this weekend, remain in the hunt theoretically at 12 points back with five games to play.

Promotion Playoffs

No changes here. Dundee and Hamilton are certain of at least a playoff place if they don't make the automatic promotion spot. Dumbarton's win means Falkirk are not definitely in yet though they now can't be caught by Livingston. Two more points (realistically one given the goal difference) will get them in though.

Queen of the South remain favourites for 4th spot with Livingston's loss at Morton making it very unlikely they will challenge now. Dumbarton are 3 points back from QoS having played a game more.

Relegation

Two wins in a week from Morton combined with a heavy Cowdenbeath loss at Falkirk means the Ton are surprisingly still alive and kicking. Automatic relegation will be confirmed the next time they fail to win or when Cowdenbeath get a couple of points though.

Relegation Playoff Spot

Nothing changed here at all. Cowdenbeath remain 4 points adrift of Alloa with Raith a further 2 ahead after Rovers didn't play and the other two both lost heavily. Appears to be a three horse race though Livingston could theoretically be dragged in yet.

Next weekend's fixtures:

Alloa v Morton

Dundee v Cowdenbeath

Livingston v Hamilton

Queen of the South v Falkirk

Raith Rovers v Dumbarton

Issues that can be resolved:

Falkirk will clinch at least a playoff spot if they beat Queen of the South or if Dumbarton fail to beat Raith Rovers. Whilst it won't do officially, even a point will in reality do Falkirk given they are 22 goals better off.

Queen of the South would be officially out of contention for the title if they pick up one point less than either Hamilton or Dundee.

Morton will be relegated if they fail to win at Alloa or if Cowdenbeath beat Dundee.

Conversely of course, Cowdenbeath will confirm they are safe from automatic relegation with a win over Dundee or Morton failing to beat Alloa.

Alloa will be offically removed from the promotion race if they fail to beat Morton and even if they do win they'll still be officially removed if Queen of the South beat Falkirk. Realistically they'll also be removed if Queens draw or if Dumbarton win (which as Queens and Dumbarton have still to play one another would guarantee at least one of them reaching 49 points.

Are dates or venues decided at all for play-off stuffs?

The playoffs are played home and away over 2 legs. No neutral venues.

Could be wrong here but I'm sure 3rd v 4th is Weds 7th May & Saturday 10th, winner of 3/4 v 2nd on Weds 14th and Sat 17th followed by the final against the Premiership side on 21st and 24th May. Happy to be corrected on that though.

No you're not. You are 2 points from 8th and 3 points from 5th.

You are also 6 points from the relegation playoff spot (9th) and 9 points from the promotion one (4th). I don't disagree with your sentiments but whilst Raith are the closest side to having nothing to play for (other than Morton obviously), they are still at this time more likely to be considered in the relegation mix than the promotion one and with you not playing Saturday that isn't likely to change in the next week or so.

:lol: A late response, but yes, I'd originally meant this!

Looking at the table now, we've still to play Dumbarton, Queens and Livingston. I'd be absolutely astounded if we managed to get anywhere near challenging Queens, especially with Moon and Cardle out this week in addition to Fox. We've also got to play Cowdenbeath which could drag us right back into the mix. In terms of the playoffs, I think a win for Queens of Tuesday would pretty much ensure them of their playoff place.

Confirmed. Dumbarton can't go down via the playoffs. ThirdRock is now relaxed.

Unconfirmed. Dumbarton could yet make the playoffs. ThirdRock has started getting nervous again.

What a great season to be a Son of the Rock.

Oh, and Morton relegated............"oh I do like to be beside the seaside, oh I do like to be beside the sea......." LMAO!!!!!!!!

Archived