The Alloa Athletic Thread

Pleased Greig is away. Shows Lennon isn't going to settle for second best. Loads of talent as a finisher, but just didn't cut it in terms of determination or making the most of that talent - when was his last league goal for us?

Having said that I really hope he does well wherever he goes.

Also good to see decisiveness re the goalies. Best of luck to McDowall in particular, he's been part of the squad these last four years and has been a decent number two.

Don't know much about Hamilton.

Was his last league goal not Dumbarton or Queens under Lennon?

it's been an honest mixup, and he's not been released yet.

Fucking hell :lol: Just as well his response was quite forgiving.

He'll be off anyway. One of the better players for the reserves, but DL would be taking a bit of a risk considering the injury problems.

Nothing against the guy, but that'll be the least surprising release of the season.

The Weatherston signing was a disaster really, Gibby Allan esque. I suppose that Barry Smith took a gamble on Weatherston and Buchanan last summer as two forwards who had done well at this level previously but had slipped down the leagues with injury a key factor. The Buchanan deal worked out beautifully and Weatherston bombed. Hope the guy can get back playing again regularly somewhere.

Think the gaffer made the correct call in releasing both keepers, neither IMO good enough to be first choice and I'd only have considered keeping either as backup. Sorry to see Greig go as he gave us some great days and the talent is there. I'm guessing he was on a good wage by our standards given he turned down a full-time deal to come to Alloa so that was possibly a factor. Whether or not it was the correct decision might come down to who we get in up front. Good luck to Spencey wherever he goes.

Edited by Waspie

Simmons and Asghar also gone. No official confirmation of Weatherston which is a bit odd. And no mention of Layne or Rutherford.

Simmons and Asghar also gone. No official confirmation of Weatherston which is a bit odd. And no mention of Layne or Rutherford.

I see the manager says he still has to speak to some of the players so would guess there is more news to come on departures. I'm sorry to see Simmy move on. Not a signing I was too enthused about it when he first arrived but he more than proved his worth as he ultimately took on the role in which Darren Young have previously been so influential for us. Simmy protected the defence and gave the midfield a base from which to build, rarely wasting a pass. Scored a couple of absolute belters for us this season too. He was missed with his his injury towards the end of the season and that probably counted against him in terms of the new manager not seeing him play. I would have thought he could have played another season at this level but good luck to him wherever he goes.

Good luck to Asghar too, if you're only ever going to start 1 game for Alloa then it might as well be the night that we beat Rangers :thumsup2 .

Simmy being released :bairn:bairn:bairn:guns:guns:guns:guns

Aye but, again, not too surprised. Age and injuries.

Shame about Tiffoney, he's a good player. Maybe better finding something closer to his college. Sensible if he's concentrating on a long-term career. I'd say he's got his head screwed on right, but... :shutup

A list of goalkeepers available just now on the PFA website. I wouldn't mind Letheren or Martin.

http://pfascotland.co.uk/player-availability/goalkeepers/

Interesting. I remember Letheren being good, but unfortunately he's wanting a move to an English club, and I doubt he'll have any trouble getting one.

http://www.eveningtelegraph.co.uk/sport/dundee-fc/dundee-keeper-letheren-set-to-quit-dens-for-move-south-1.809575

Interesting. I remember Letheren being good, but unfortunately he's wanting a move to an English club, and I doubt he'll have any trouble getting one.

http://www.eveningtelegraph.co.uk/sport/dundee-fc/dundee-keeper-letheren-set-to-quit-dens-for-move-south-1.809575

Yeah, I'd be astonished if Letheren was to go part-time anywhere.

Martin would be a decent option. Mitchell from Stranraer would be another if he isn't picked up by a full-time club and could be tempted away from Stair Park. Thomson who was at Cowdenbeath did well against us too. Very important we get a safe pair of hands this time.

Letheren has been linked with Raith and Dundee United as well as a host of clubs down South which as a poster above already states, seems to be his preferred option.

We're after David Mitchell from Stranraer as his replacement.

Martin would be a decent option. Mitchell from Stranraer would be another if he isn't picked up by a full-time club and could be tempted away from Stair Park.

We're after David Mitchell from Stranraer

HAAAAAARTLEYYYYY!!!

*shakes fist*

Just heard a rumour that lee mclelland ( plays with our youth team ) is being watched by Everton. Spoke to a very reliable source at Alloa who said Everton were up watching Scott hynd and lee impressed, they've watched him a few times since and he's suppose to be going down there for pre season. I've seen him a few times and did impress but obviously didn't think he was premiership standard however there must be something there if he's going down to do pre season with them. Could be a big but of money in it for us if he was to go and would be great to see a young Alloa boy get the chance.