The Alloa Athletic Thread

Ok. Thanks for the replies. I agree with pretty much all of you.

Next question then. :)

Would you consider the last four seasons the most successful time in Alloa's history/recent history?

I think in the grand scheme of things the last 4 years (certainly the back to back promotions then consolidation in the Championship) is up there. However, we’ll probably have to wait for 10-15 years to get a clear view of the legacy of the last 3 or 4 years. And obviously, it would also depend on the clubs stance in the future- whether Alloa head back to our usual third tier pushing to second tier, or establishing as a regular second tier club.

I think a stronger case could have been made had they won the Petrofac Cup the other week. That additional piece of silverware would have matched the achievements of the late 90s team, as well as consolidating in the second tier (something Christies team never managed) As it stands, I think due to the Challenge Cup win and the fairly high profile cup upsets, I’d suggest the late 90s team are still probably viewed in a slightly more favourable light, but I’ve heard a fairly diverse cross section of opinions when the matter has been discussed in recent years. Not much in it really.

Guys like printer will be able to elaborate more on the early 80s team, which probably matches both the eras I mentioned.

Guys like printer will be able to elaborate more on the early 80s team, which probably matches both the eras I mentioned.[/size]

Yeah, I'd say the Alex Totten team of the early 80s is the other team which is on a par with Terry Christie's team and that of the current era.

Difficult to compare as the game has changed so much since then; it is more commercial generally and certainly much more professional, in particular at the part-time level, where teams are much fitter and more tactically set out.

The Meggatt deal is confirmed for real this time on the Dundee website. Looking forward to seeing him during pre-season and am confident that with a bit of hard work, he'll be a good player for us.

Maybe you guys will end up with Willie Dyer next season! Wouldn't be bad a signing tbf. A bit out of his depth now but was decent enough for us at this level.

The Meggatt deal is confirmed for real this time on the Dundee website. Looking forward to seeing him during pre-season and am confident that with a bit of hard work, he'll be a good player for us.

Maybe you guys will end up with Willie Dyer next season! Wouldn't be bad a signing tbf. A bit out of his depth now but was decent enough for us at this level.

Not sure how Daryll will do up a level but if he can cope with it you've got yourself a very good left back who can cover at centre half if need be.

We'll be sad to see him go. Very good player for us, and always gives his all, even when he's not having the best of days. Hopefully he'll have a long and successful career in the Premiership.

Not sure how Daryll will do up a level but if he can cope with it you've got yourself a very good left back who can cover at centre half if need be.

I think Meggat would fit in the Dundee team and Hartley will know how he plays.

Best of luck to Daryll for next season. You can see he has started to take his foot of the gas IMO, which is understandable after signing a full time deal.

Best of luck to Daryll for next season. You can see he has started to take his foot of the gas IMO, which is understandable after signing a full time deal.

Part of a defence which recorded a clean sheet last week and he also had 2 assists. Similar foot off the gas performances the next few weeks will do me.

I think he will handle the step up, a very committed player who has worked his way up the ranks. Not much gets past him. Good luck Darryl, hope you can sign off by helping the Wasps stay in this league.

What the deal with the player awards night? Still going ahead? Is it ticketed? Tickets left?

Think its being discussed still, but before the fixture change there was meant to be tickets on sale today. Not sure what the situation is now

Won't be back in alloa till the game that day, do you think all the tickets will sell? I could maybe get someone to pick a couple up for me if that's the case.

No you should be fine- do you want to buy at Cowden game? I'll make sure tickets are kept for you

Meggatt looked nothing like a premiere league player yesterday and was lucky not to get sent off before he was actually replaced.

Meggatt looked nothing like a premiere league player yesterday and was lucky not to get sent off before he was actually replaced.

True, but I'd add that Carmichael would have also given most Premier League defenders a torrid time playing like he did in the second half on Saturday.

True, but I'd add that Carmichael would have also given most Premier League defenders a torrid time playing like he did in the second half on Saturday.

Indeed. Not many fullbacks enjoy playing a fast, tricky winner as much on song as Carmichael was on Saturday.

Darryl has been an excellent player for us for three years, very consistent.