The Alloa Athletic Thread

Injuries absolutely ravaged Buchanan or else he'd have made a decent career for himself. His game was always about mobility; harrying defenders, playing on their shoulder, closing down the keeper, generally being a pest. Finishing wise, he was never the best and didn't possess a great deal of composure but to coin a cliche, he always got himself into good positions and the sheer amount of chances that would fall his way meant he was always likely to score. However, the problem that he developed about 18 months into his time with us ruined his pace and he was never the same player. He'll still give you a shift but the edge that he had is gone and his technique isn't good enough to carry him at this level. Playing on plastic won't do his condition any good either, I wouldn't have thought. A good Second division player but probably not what Alloa are looking for.

We could be doing with a couple of big guys. The front line look absolutely tiny, spence, Cawley, Buchanan and ferns are pretty small tbf and I feel we may get bullied a bit.

Edited by Waspy

Problem is that it is the same old faces we rely on (Cawley, McCord, Doyle, Gordon,Meggat)

I see retaining such a proven successful nucleus (adding in Holmes and Simmons) as a strength rather than a problem.

I see retaining such a proven successful nucleus (adding in Holmes and Simmons) as a strength rather than a problem.

Aye, but who have we signed to compliment them? We are no stronger at the moment than we were last year. Spence is going to have to improve quickly. In the 3 games at the Recs I've seen him so far he's done nothing. Docherty will be a squad player. Buchanan did nothing last night to suggest he will be better than what we already have. We've not even seen Weatherston yet due to injury I assume. It's the same guys carrying us that have been doing it since the 3rd division. I maybe didn't phrase it correctly. They're not the problem but it's a problem for the team that we are still relying on them.

i'm sure Cowdenbeath are doing the same with having full time youths. I assume its some sort of scheme we've signed up for. We'll never be full time because we don't attract enough support locally. We may have the odd player being paid full time wages whilst still being classified as a part timer in the future but never a whole team.

The point I'm trying to make is that last season we didnt strengthen at all and only survived due to an injury time goal scored elsewhere. Unless there are some amazing signings that no one knows about at the moment coming over the next couple of weeks then we will be no stronger than we were last season and playing in a far more difficult league. We cant rely on the players that got us out of the 3rd and 2nd divs forever.

What I meant was more like the opposite of Raith. They are full time with a few part time players, we could be part time with some full time players.

What I meant was more like the opposite of Raith. They are full time with a few part time players, we could be part time with some full time players.

Thats what we're doing this season. We have about 6 full-time players in the first team squad. The rest are all part time.

Aye, but who have we signed to compliment them? We are no stronger at the moment than we were last year. Spence is going to have to improve quickly. In the 3 games at the Recs I've seen him so far he's done nothing. Docherty will be a squad player. Buchanan did nothing last night to suggest he will be better than what we already have. We've not even seen Weatherston yet due to injury I assume. It's the same guys carrying us that have been doing it since the 3rd division. I maybe didn't phrase it correctly. They're not the problem but it's a problem for the team that we are still relying on them.

I can see your concerns, and I have some sympathy with them. We haven't yet made any signings to take the breath away. There is still time though and I think we are certainly already stronger up front.

Why do you think that?

He has osteitis pubis which is basically an inflammation of the pelvis. It can be incapacitating without rest and playing on hard surfaces can trigger irritation - at the time, it was suggested that training at the Firhill Complex was one of the reasons why he developed the condition in the first place. Ryan MacBeth also suffered from the same condition which totally knackered his career before it had even started.

He has osteitis pubis which is basically an inflammation of the pelvis. It can be incapacitating without rest and playing on hard surfaces can trigger irritation - at the time, it was suggested that training at the Firhill Complex was one of the reasons why he developed the condition in the first place. Ryan MacBeth also suffered from the same condition which totally knackered his career before it had even started.

Is there any proper evidence that playing and training on our pitch will be worse than grass for his condition?

Never realle been to impressed with Brownlie from what I've seen, wasn't there anyone else who could have made the step up to full time?

Quite happy with Brownlie. When he's playing we don't leak goals like we did. Was obvious when he was out injured and we shipped 9 in two games. Surprised Brett wasn't offered the chance though. No idea what any of these guys do for a living and whether any of them turned it down.

Quite happy with Brownlie. When he's playing we don't leak goals like we did. Was obvious when he was out injured and we shipped 9 in two games. Surprised Brett wasn't offered the chance though. No idea what any of these guys do for a living and whether any of them turned it down.

Fair enough maybe just not had his best of games when I've seen him.

Made the step up?! We signed him from Partick. Not sure who you're on about.

When did you sign him? Was it just a loan signing last year? Or am I thinking about a completely different player altogether?

Brett has been training full time since he was a modern apprentice don't know if he still does or if he has got himself another job.