The Alloa Athletic Thread

There really isn't much between Cowdenbeath and Alloas squad, the biggest difference is the manager, and in Jimmy Nicholl Cowden have a very decent one, Barry Smith is a honking piece of kit. With him Alloa will be left well adrift at the bottom.

Reckon Cowdenbeath will pip Livingston to 8th.

I would take Nicholl over Smith any day of the week.

There really isn't much between Cowdenbeath and Alloas squad, the biggest difference is the manager, and in Jimmy Nicholl Cowden have a very decent one, Barry Smith is a honking piece of kit. With him Alloa will be left well adrift at the bottom.

Don't see what every ones problem is with Smith. One really big downside is he is quiet on the touchline and reluctant to change his tactics, but what he done for Dundee was amazing and hopefully he can bring some of that to Alloa. Give the guy some time to build his own team and get them playing the way he wants them and then judge him

bunglebonce, on 11 Jul 2014 - 08:04, said:

County's u20 team lost pretty much week in, week out under Smith. If they weren't bottom of the league when he left for Alloa then they were very close to it.

Steven Ferguson took over and starting getting wins straight away, there was a big contrast to the performances and results.

I can't remember the last time a loanee from Ross County went to a club not in the Highlands. There are some promising players in that team though, Tony Dingwall (I know!) especially.

Smith's philosophy was to bring on players rather than look for results when he was in charge of Dundee's youth team. Then again, I suppose that's what every youth coach that's not winning games will say.

No idea if our new signings will do well yet but not seeing where you get the Cowden expectation from, without Hemmings they're as unknown as Livi without McNulty.

I think if we do manage to stay up this season then IMO Smith will not have equalled Hartley, he will have surpassed him. Remember that Hartley jumped ship when it started to go downhill. Clearly didnt have it in him to fight at the bottom of the league for survival. This will be the biggest challenge the club has faced. Lets face it with the backing PH had from the board getting through the 3rd and 2nd divs should have been and was fairly straightforward. I just hope the board are giving Smith the same sort of backing. At the moment we are definitely short in most areas of the squad. Lets see what happens in the next couple of weeks.

Harsh on Hartley IMO. It's easy to say what he achieved in winning the third and them getting promotion from the second were straightforward, but that's only in hindsight. They were both excellent years to be an Alloa fan.

It says a lot about the job he did that the team will have the same nucleus for a fourth consecutive season. The strengths of the side are still those that Paul built.

If Smith keeps us up this season, even if it's as close as it was last, then that will indeed be a tremendous achievement, but it will still be some way short of what his predecessor achieved. I don't think anyone could seriously argue otherwise.

Harsh on Hartley IMO. It's easy to say what he achieved in winning the third and them getting promotion from the second were straightforward, but that's only in hindsight. They were both excellent years to be an Alloa fan.

It says a lot about the job he did that the team will have the same nucleus for a fourth consecutive season. The strengths of the side are still those that Paul built.

If Smith keeps us up this season, even if it's as close as it was last, then that will indeed be a tremendous achievement, but it will still be some way short of what his predecessor achieved. I don't think anyone could seriously argue otherwise.

Agree with what you just said completely, but I think he meant more along the lines of Hartley not sticking around when the going got tough.

how's Oban been? Anyone stood out for the season coming?

Another cracking day in Oban. The team did well, beat St Johnstone, Oban and Dundee United and drew 1-1 with Hamilton Accies. Accies won the tournament on gaol difference from Alloa.

Our best players were the old faithful like Meggat and Gordon. Sparky fitted back in well and Spence worked hard and grabbed a goal against United. Marr seemed to be injury free so hopefully he will sign. I thought Flannigan also played very well and would be worth a contract on that showing.

The ex Motherwell trialists and Buchanan didn't make much of a contribution and would need to improve to get a deal IMO.

Another cracking day in Oban. The team did well, beat St Johnstone, Oban and Dundee United and drew 1-1 with Hamilton Accies. Accies won the tournament on gaol difference from Alloa.

Our best players were the old faithful like Meggat and Gordon. Sparky fitted back in well and Spence worked hard and grabbed a goal against United. Marr seemed to be injury free so hopefully he will sign. I thought Flannigan also played very well and would be worth a contract on that showing.

The ex Motherwell trialists and Buchanan didn't make much of a contribution and would need to improve to get a deal IMO.

Thanks sounds not too bad then so far in terms of team. We really need more depth though

Yup.

Hetherington showed a few decent glimpses yesterday but Asghar was quiet.

Seen on the SPFL site that Hetherington had a spell with Rangers in 2009, I've not seen any of the friendlies yet cause i'm just back from holiday so i'll maybe see how they play on Thursday

Asghar has been away from Motherwell for over a year. He spent most of last season playing for our reserves as a non contract trialist.

If he was playing in your reserves i'm guessing Queens doesn't think he's good enough for this level?