The Alloa Athletic Thread

I wasn't suggesting that Spence was to blame for Raith's slump, simply that he was part of an underachieving team in general. That does suggest a bigger problem at Raith than just his alleged poor attitude. I think from our point of view it's quite encouraging that he has turned down a full-time deal to come to us, it suggests he is up for getting his career back on track.

As for Nade, he was clearly working hard at Dundee since Hartley took over at least and that's no surprise, we know how important fitness is to Hartley and he won't stand for players who don't put the work in. You will be hoping that does indeed mean he "has turned a corner in his life" and that Grant Murray can keep it going. The underachievement under him last season might set off a few alarm bells on that one but time will tell.

Regarding the fee, I don't think it matters where you signed him from as long as he was offered the equivalent of the deal he was on previously. We got a fee for Bain and we didn't sign him from youth football. Only other scenarios would be that the player had an agreement that no fee would be required or his previous club waived it.

Excellent post as ever Waspie.

I think he's gone largely due to Smith probably saying to him you'll start week in week out. I'd still agree with what Bring Back Paddy Flannery and Cowden Til I Die have already said. While his attitude might not be the greatest, I think it was another small part of the larger problems last season. When the striker you're pinning your hopes on doesn't score between October and February, it does put pressure on others.

As for Nade, he's been training during the Summer and is in phenomenal shape. I think if our fans get behind him he can go on to be a big asset for ourselves. I think Murray has learned his lessons too from last season. We were hamstrung after two ridiculous injuries to Watson and McGurn who had been massive players. All of our news signings have added depth. If we sign Anderson again and can grab a left winger to replace Cardle I'd be happy with the squad.

Over the piece, I'm happy with our signings so far despite losing Baird. I think we should be looking for a stronger finish next season, especially with the likes of Cowden losing Stewart and Hemmings and Livi losing McNulty.

With the players returning tomorrow night for pre-season I hope to hear some news regarding Doyle. The guy is hanging off looking for full time football which is fair enough, but I would like to see the situation sorted sooner rather than later. I hope big Jason marr has over come his injury and is raring to go, as him and Big Ben would be my favoured partnership in defence along with meggat and hopefully Doyle.

I would also offer wee willie Robertson a deal as he is a handy squad player.

I find the situation with Doyle a strange one. Is he really hoping for full time? Reality check - he's not good enough. I would have run out of patience by now if I was Smith. He should sign now and commit himself or the contract offer should be withdrawn. We have better players (Meggatt,Gordon, McCord, Cawley) who have all signed already.

I too hope Marr is fit and ready to play. His absence due to injury last season I believe was a key part in our slump.

Regarding the fee, I don't think it matters where you signed him from as long as he was offered the equivalent of the deal he was on previously. We got a fee for Bain and we didn't sign him from youth football. Only other scenarios would be that the player had an agreement that no fee would be required or his previous club waived it.

Or that the offer made to him wasn't made in time or by correct procedures (see Rangers v Dundee re Khizanishvili).

But yes you are right. A small percentage of the compensation would be due to all clubs who registered him prior to his 23rd birthday but the main amount due would be to Raith Rovers if he's u23 and had a valid contract offer delivered before expiry of his old contract in writing by registered post. And then it would be up to the clubs to agree a figure or go to Tribunal.

Edited by Skyline Drifter

This is a big season for Spence. He's basically had one good season for Raith, and one poor one. That doesn't really mean he's a waster or slacker, it just means he's had a bad season.

The comment about Magaluf immediately after the loss to Livingston actually came from Gordon Smith, but aye, in general his Twitter account is #Nandos daft.

As for his big time attitude, I've no idea, but I've done a few things with him for the Rovers website, and he came across as pretty grounded, fairly humble, and seemed genuinely happy to chat away. That doesn't mean he's always like that of course, but I think his Twitter persona goes against him in that sense.

He does need to kick on though, he seemed to have lost his spark last season and while he complained about not getting a start, he didn't really do enough to warrant one.

I'd rather we'd kept him, but he would have been a sub again mostly. Folk are suggesting a drop to part-time shows his lack of ambition, but it could also be the opposite, in that he just wants to play every week.

Good luck to him.

When the striker you're pinning your hopes on doesn't score between October and February, it does put pressure on others.

As for Nade, he's been training during the Summer and is in phenomenal shape. I think if our fans get behind him he can go on to be a big asset for ourselves. I think Murray has learned his lessons too from last season. We were hamstrung after two ridiculous injuries to Watson and McGurn who had been massive players. All of our news signings have added depth. If we sign Anderson again and can grab a left winger to replace Cardle I'd be happy with the squad.

Over the piece, I'm happy with our signings so far despite losing Baird. I think we should be looking for a stronger finish next season, especially with the likes of Cowden losing Stewart and Hemmings and Livi losing McNulty.

Our main striker didn't score after December so we know all about the pressure that put on the rest of the team :) . That news about Nade sounds hopeful for Raith, if he is in shape he will do well. Ultimately I think ourselves and Raith are in a pretty similar situation, the chances of us being able to go and sign a guy who is sure to score 15 goals or more are quite remote. We need to take a gamble on the likes of Nade, Stewart and Spence and hope we can make the most of their talents.

I thought Raith would do much better last season, in fact I reckon that with the squad you had that 4th was a very reasonable target. It was hard to believe that you only ended up 2 points ahead of us (I think) given you had signed two good players from us in the summer. Had we kept those 2 I think we would have been making a challenge for the play-offs at the top, rather than ultimately fighting to avoid the play-offs at the bottom.

Or that the offer made to him wasn't made in time or by correct procedures (see Rangers v Dundee re Khizanishvili).

But yes you are right. A small percentage of the compensation would be due to all clubs who registered him prior to his 23rd birthday but the main amount due would be to Raith Rovers if he's u23 and had a valid contract offer delivered before expiry of his old contract in writing by registered post. And then it would be up to the clubs to agree a figure or go to Tribunal.

I didn't realise money was also due to other clubs where players had previously been registered - does the same principle apply that the player needed to have been offered an equivalent contract on leaving previous clubs? If not we are due Celtic and ourselves a fee for Spence too :P .

I didn't realise money was also due to other clubs where players had previously been registered - does the same principle apply that the player needed to have been offered an equivalent contract on leaving previous clubs? If not we are due Celtic and ourselves a fee for Spence too :P .

As far as I know, no. If a compensation is paid then anyone who had him registered between 12 years old and 23 years old is entitled to a small percentage. It's not 100% impossible that Accies might have a claim too though it's likely the loan agreement when he went there from Celtic saw Accies sign off the rights to any development compensation arising from his period on loan. It's fairly standard in a loan arrangement with top division clubs.

although I do think our squad is still a bit lacking physically - both in height and in pace.

I was thinking exactly this earlier today while looking at the squad now Spence has signed.

We lack presence in midfield and up front. I'd also like to see us bring some pace into central midfield.

With the players returning tomorrow night for pre-season I hope to hear some news regarding Doyle. The guy is hanging off looking for full time football which is fair enough, but I would like to see the situation sorted sooner rather than later. I hope big Jason marr has over come his injury and is raring to go, as him and Big Ben would be my favoured partnership in defence along with meggat and hopefully Doyle.

I would also offer wee willie Robertson a deal as he is a handy squad player.

the defence w had last season if all sign and fit could easily take us through another season with decent performances I think. Robertson is still young and hopefully signs again and gets broke into first team football.

I find the situation with Doyle a strange one. Is he really hoping for full time? Reality check - he's not good enough. I would have run out of patience by now if I was Smith. He should sign now and commit himself or the contract offer should be withdrawn. We have better players (Meggatt,Gordon, McCord, Cawley) who have all signed already.

I too hope Marr is fit and ready to play. His absence due to injury last season I believe was a key part in our slump

Really? Doyle is easily one of our best players. He can attack well an defend well, in my eyes was a massive contender for player of the year in our team.

No on both accounts.

This. From an Ayr fan :unsure2::unsure2:

Doyle was no where near one of our best players last season

I would agree with this, tbh when the chips were down I thought he struggled a bit. Hamilton away was one of his better performances, I would still like him on board for next season though.

I would agree with this, tbh when the chips were down I thought he struggled a bit. Hamilton away was one of his better performances, I would still like him on board for next season though.

I thought he played quite well, created alot of chances and had a good amount of runs up the flank

Greg will knuckle down at Alloa and do well am sure . Sometimes you have to go back to where it all started and just get on with it .

Barry will get the best out of him . Maybe we will get another 80k for him in a years time

That's his career over then. Shame.

I see Tiff is in a spot of bother.

I see the prices for the pre-season games are out and tbh are pretty scandalous, £8 to watch a kick about with the shire and Montrose ffs. I will probably only be going along to the Northampton game now.

Edited by Waspy

I see Tiff is in a spot of bother.

I see the prices for the pre-season games are out and tbh are pretty scandalous, £8 to watch a kick about with the shire and Montrose ffs. I will probably only be going along to the Northampton game now.

What's he done?

Today's scottish sun mate, allegedly made a sex tape then sent it to his mates and took pictures of her while she was sleeping. Then it's all kicked off with her not taking too kindly to it. He was in court this week.

Edited by Waspy

Today's scottish sun mate, allegedly made a sex tape then sent it to his mates and took pictures of her while she was sleeping. Then it's all kicked off with her not taking too kindly to it. He was in court this week.

Tried to get on the sun website to read about this, what a shitty site you only get a few news stories on it and the ones you do they only give you the start of it then you need to join sun+ to read the rest