Latest World Rankings

Moo

We'd have a shot at only playing complete dross if we had a record like that by winning something.

This is a revolving door quite a few of you seem stuck in.

The point is that they aren't a good team now and are ranked above their current ability, the fact they won the Euros 10 years ago makes no difference to how decent they are now. They won the Euros and well done to them, quite an achievement, but now that they've not had to play any top sides in qualifying since means that they will continue to be overrated by the rankings system as they beat complete dross.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Greece have only lost 5 of their 42 matches since the last world cup (3 of which were in competitive matches, including 2 at the euros). Of course they've had kind draws, but they've done very well to maintain that sort of position. What are UEFA our FIFA to say - "We know your results have been great but we think you're actually lucky and a bit shite, so down a seeding or 2 you go"?!

They only have to play and continue to beat 'complete dross' as they won that tournament ten years ago.

Jesus Christ. I fully understand why they are ranked where they are, and why they continue to play only complete dross. That isn't the point, at all. I'm not saying they should be dropped down the rankings, just that they are quite blatantly not as good as the rankings suggest, which I'm sure you knew.

The point is that they aren't a very good team and while they can't be dropped down rankings for winning games, it's completely unrepresentative of their actual ability. Defensively they're decent and can shitfest their way past a lot of the shite they come up against, but when facing a decent team, they'll get easily brushed aside.

Shows you how much attention we should pay to FIFA world rankings, when they have Colombia ranked 4th in the world. Not to mention Uzbekistan, Mali and Burkina Faso to name a few ahead of the Republic of Ireland.

Burkina Faso got to the final of the African Cup of Nations in 2013 and were only eliminated from the final stage of qualifying on away goals. Ireland are shite.

Burkina Faso got to the final of the African Cup of Nations in 2013 and were only eliminated from the final stage of qualifying on away goals. Ireland are shite.

I'm by no means saying Ireland are great, but that doesn't change the fact that the rankings are gash. I could have used many of the other European sides in false positions in the rankings as an example.

The fact that Greece won isn't directly relevant to their current rankings, in that those results don't actually count. It's only the last four years. But the fact that they did win that would've given them a push up the rankings.

They were in pot C for the 2006 campaign, and finished 4th in the group, so a pretty terrible campaign. But then they were automatically top seeds for Euro 2008 qualifying (due to being holders), and ended up getting a pretty fair group. They skooshed it and finished top by 7 points. They then got into the highest pot for World Cup 2010 qualifying (they were the bottom team in pot A) due to being consistently high in the rankings. They were in pot 2 for Euro 2012, and finished top ahead of our favourite top seeds Croatia. They made pot 1 for 2014 qualifying, again only just.

I'd be against saying they've been lucky though. They've been hovering around that pot 1/2 mark, and have managed to edge just ahead and make it into the top pot, which obviously gives them the chance to boost their ranking points more than if they were lower. But that's all of their own making, rather than any kind of luck. They deserve to be where they are under the current system.

Greece have been extremely fortunate with their qualifying groups, for about 10 years. They get a very easy ride.

Greece are the jammiest team on the planet. It's actually unbelievable how easy they get it every single time.

World Cup 2006 Qualifying:

Ukraine

Turkey

Denmark

Greece

Albania

Georgia

Kazakhstan

Euro 2008 Qualifying:

Greece

Turkey

Norway

Bosnia

Moldova

Hungary

Malta

World Cup 2010 qualifying:

Switzerland

Greece

Latvia

Israel

Luxembourg

Moldova

play-off vs Ukraine

World Cup 2010:

Argentina

South Korea

Greece

Nigeria

Euro 2012 Qualifying:

Greece

Croatia

Israel

Latvia

Georgia

Malta

Euro 2012:

Czech Republic

Greece

Russia

Poland

World Cup qualifying:

Bosnia

Greece

Slovakia

Lithuania

Latvia

Liechtenstein

Play-off vs Romania

Pathetic really. Croatia is the best team they've had to face in qualifying in the last 10 years. :lol:

Greece have been extremely fortunate with their qualifying groups, for about 10 years. They get a very easy ride.

How have they been 'extremely fortunate'?

They won a tournament, which propelled them to top seed and have been able to defeat the teams they are drawn against. Should they be drawn against a fellow top seed side because they are unfashionable?

They topped a group containing Norway for Euro 2008, I think, the same Norway Scotland failed to finish above one qualification campaign later...

How have they been 'extremely fortunate'?

They won a tournament, which propelled them to top seed and have been able to defeat the teams they are drawn against. Should they be drawn against a fellow top seed side because they are unfashionable?

They topped a group containing Norway for Euro 2008, I think, the same Norway Scotland failed to finish above one qualification campaign later...

Because they've been drawn against absolute shite for 10 years. And the only reason they stay in these top 2 pots is because they never have to play any decent teams. It's an awful state of affairs.

Does that make Norway some sort of scalp or something? Because they beat us? Na mate. They're complete shite.

Archived