Latest World Rankings

Moo

After our 1-0 friendly win against Poland, we have dropped 3 places to 37th. I didn't really expect us to move up a lot as Poland were ranked 70th(there now 73rd) but to move down 3 is strange. The teams around us must of had impressive results.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

After our 1-0 friendly win against Poland, we have dropped 3 places to 37th. I didn't really expect us to move up a lot as Poland were ranked 70th(there now 73rd) but to move down 3 is strange. The teams around us must of had impressive results.

Am I not right in thinking that games played in March, don't appear on the rankings until April? So essentially the March rankings would be the downgrading of the previous 3 Februarys and removal of Feb 2010.

Am I not right in thinking that games played in March, don't appear on the rankings until April? So essentially the March rankings would be the downgrading of the previous 3 Februarys and removal of Feb 2010.

I'm not so sure. A lot of teams have either went up or down. Wales have jumped up a few places after beating Iceland so I'm guessing they have counted last weeks games.

Aye, the Poland game hasnt counted yet, next rankings should see us move up to about 25th I read.

Scary how close to the 2007 position of 14th that is, eh? And it has taken just a handful of good, solid, organised performances under Strachan to get us up there. Shows how inept Burley was and how out of his depth Levein was.

When do the pots get decided for the next world cup qualifiers? If we get up to 25th then that would be borderline pot 2.

Think I read somewhere on here the WC pots are based on the position we're in June/July 2015. Long way to go yet!

ETA - Given the draw is July 2015 I'd summise that info is correct

http://www.football-rankings.info/2013/12/2018-fifa-world-cup-qualifying-draw_3471.html

Not sure on the accuracy of this info. Given it has an email address to contact if you want to 'improve your FIFA ranking' I'd guess its a bit sketchy.

There are some "rankings boffin" sites that have been known to "recommend" what oppositions nations should play friendlies against to improve their ranking. In saying that any site that lists Switzerland as the #1 team in Europe and Armenia in pot 2 deserve to be treated with a pinch of salt.

Wee Chesney has a once in a lifetime opportunity though, take us to Euro 2016 AND improve our world cup seeding, we could be on the plane to Russia, and then, like Greece and Croatia, you end up in a cycle of winning because you're seeded high in qualifying. Exciting times for Scottish football.

You could argue that site stopped us reaching the WC 2014 playoffs? They alerted the Faroes that a minute rounding error had seen FIFA place them a fraction behind Wales instead of dead equal at the time of the draw, IIRC, with the Faroes ahead on some kind of 'countback'. Wales went into Pot 6, and took 6pts off us in qualifying.

What might've been...

You could argue that site stopped us reaching the WC 2014 playoffs? They alerted the Faroes that a minute rounding error had seen FIFA place them a fraction behind Wales instead of dead equal at the time of the draw, IIRC, with the Faroes ahead on some kind of 'countback'. Wales went into Pot 6, and took 6pts off us in qualifying.

What might've been...

They practically snatched the WC from our grasp. B*stards!

• 3 weeks later...

Archived