What have they done to Hampden?

Ledd

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In today's Record, it is being suggested that the SFA want Hampden to be 'significantly upgraded' before they enter info any new lease to play there. The current lease is up in 2020, so hosting games at the Euros that year could be end of the road for Hampden in it's current format.

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/end-road-hampden-euro-2020-3454657

Redevelopment would be good, make it the biggest ground in the country 70000 but have it more closed in to the pitch to increase the atmosphere. Retractable roof perhaps aswell. Didn't realise Queens Park owned Hampden or the ground its on. What if they were to sell it, they'd make a tonne surely?

Redevelopment would be good, make it the biggest ground in the country 70000 but have it more closed in to the pitch to increase the atmosphere. Retractable roof perhaps aswell. Didn't realise Queens Park owned Hampden or the ground its on. What if they were to sell it, they'd make a tonne surely?

Aye but who would buy it, the SFA are the only ones who would and they would just try negotiate a lease like they have already no?

I like reading that it faces upgrades in a few years time. :thumsup2

What happens to Lesser Hampden after the Games?

Does its track stay as a community resource?

In a nutshell: the terms of QP's "eviction" were that the Lesser Hampden pitch and facilities etc would be returned to their pre-Commonwealth Games state prior to our return. Given that we had been using glorified portakabins for the last fifteen years or so, the decision was taken that a permanent facility would be built at the other end of Lesser Hampden (the compensation from the games authorities would only cover like for like replacement i.e new portakabins).

It was identified that the new pavilion (which is now up and running) plans were going to require a major fundraising effort. The only thing that would have made it immediately more affordable would be if Queen's Park found themselves playing a home game in late 2012 in front of a crowd of 30,000 odd. But what were the chances of that happening..............................................

Can't see the powers at be wanting to bulldoze the main stand at Hampden.

One suggestion would be to square off the ends and continue the 2 tier design round behind the goals and join up with the single tier North Stand. The end result would be a stadium similar in design to Murrayfield or Parkhead where the roof slopes down either end to meet the smaller/lower existing touch line stand. I'm guessing a capacity in the region of 60k would be created.

Interesting proposals on this site (and atroshus spelling):

http://scotlandeuros.webs.com/proposedstadiums.htm

Not sure who's behind it but talks through the various options for Euro 2020, one being the Stirling option (which lists many of the pros and cons we've knocked back and forth on here)

Seen the proposal of a 30,000 seater in Inverness and stopped reading.

Seen the proposal of a 30,000 seater in Inverness and stopped reading.

"Shared between ICT and Ross County as well as Gaelic sports usage"

I'm pretty sure there's no "Gaelic sports" that need a 30,000 seater stadium in the Highlands. The sports ground at the Bught Park gets used for shinty. There's also never going to be a need to have a permanent ground share between ICT and County - the distance alone means any idea shouldn't be taken seriously.

Interesting proposals on this site (and atroshus spelling):

http://scotlandeuros.webs.com/proposedstadiums.htm

Not sure who's behind it but talks through the various options for Euro 2020, one being the Stirling option (which lists many of the pros and cons we've knocked back and forth on here)

Which slabbering imbecile wrote that shite?

Which slabbering imbecile wrote that shite?

I think it's a bit harsh to dismiss the whole thing as shite (maybe barring the ICT stadium bit). The guy's obviously thought quite a bit about it and made the effort to get in touch with the SFA etc.

Rugby Park

It may be that with the continued expansion of professional rugby that a team playing out of this facility would be ideal given the sufficient surrounding population to support a team and the popularity of rugby in the area. The share of this ground with Kilmarnock FC and another sports team may justify the expansion of this facility.

I've never thought of Ayrshire as being an area where rugby is particularly popular.

I thought that the idea is to have a single group played in something like 12 different grounds in cities around Europe. That is, three matches would be played in the same ground in (say) Glasgow, three in London, three in Vienna etc etc.

The later matches would be allocated amongst those 12 grounds.

Scotland is full of grounds built to house non-existent crowds (Airdrie, Broadwood, Livingston for starters) and Europe has some crackers too (Portugal's grounds for their hosting of the Euros). Do we really need huge white elephant grounds in Inverness, Killie or whatever in off-chance that we can host some championship?

I thought that the idea is to have a single group played in something like 12 different grounds in cities around Europe. That is, three matches would be played in the same ground in (say) Glasgow, three in London, three in Vienna etc etc.

The later matches would be allocated amongst those 12 grounds.

Scotland is full of grounds built to house non-existent crowds (Airdrie, Broadwood, Livingston for starters) and Europe has some crackers too (Portugal's grounds for their hosting of the Euros). Do we really need huge white elephant grounds in Inverness, Killie or whatever in off-chance that we can host some championship?

Yeah that site is talking about us solo-hosting a tourney, as opposed to the one city per country idea. Not convinced that solo-hosting would be a good idea for us (would have to be temp seating so as not to be left with draughty big half empty stadiums as you say).

However, I thought it was a decent (if fanciful in places), comprehensive look at our stadia and where the potential for expansion is, and it ties in with the topic of Hampden and the notion of a rebuild or relocation.

Or shite, if you prefer.

Archived