What have they done to Hampden?

Ledd

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They have an opportunity to redevelop Hampden, say get rid of the blaze round the outside and build downwards to make a more amphitheatre feel but i can only see them putting it back the way it was. I've personally never minded Hampden, If its full the atmosphere is great, however half full i'll agree its pants.

They have an opportunity to redevelop Hampden, say get rid of the blaze round the outside and build downwards to make a more amphitheatre feel but i can only see them putting it back the way it was. I've personally never minded Hampden, If its full the atmosphere is great, however half full i'll agree its pants.

I think it's been clarified before that they can't go down, because of some culvert and foundations. Anyway, it would only make the views from the back of the ends even worse, as the pitch would be lower.

Once the games are over the platform (tarmac, track and all) will be removed... seats put back in... pitch relaid. It should look exactly as it did before the work began. I heard they're building a kind of temporary hospitality extension behind the North Stand and it'll be dismantled too.

Interesting, cheers - I was at Hampden before Christmas and getting the tour thing and they said that it was for hospitality and additional disabled spaces but it would be removed afterwards (delivered in a 'roll eyes, how daft is that' way). Good if that's not happened.

Btw, for all that people criticise the 1990s revamp done on the cheap using the existing bowl... if it wasn't for that Glasgow would have had to build a new 40,000-seat athletics white elephant stadium.

The extension on the north stand has been finished for a while. Pretty sure its permanent - in fact http://www.urbanrealm.com/news/4194/Hampden_Park%E2%80%99s_North_Stand_opens_for_Scottish_Cup_final.html

Wow - shows how long it is since I've been at Hampden - I totally missed that. Think it's a bit of an eyesore appearance-wise (the original facade looked more stadium-y whereas this just looks tacked on). Fair dos if it adds better facilities inside though.

ETA - I'm being an eejit - I was thinking it was the south stand facade they had altered. Glad it has remained as is.

Btw, for all that people criticise the 1990s revamp done on the cheap using the existing bowl... if it wasn't for that Glasgow would have had to build a new 40,000-seat athletics white elephant stadium.

Would it not have been more likely not to have bid?

Well, yes I suppose so, but put it another way - if Hampden had been redeveloped as a rectangle then the only way Scotland could ever have hosted any Commonwealth Games again would have been by building a large new athletics stadium somewhere (as Meadowbank is now quite woefully inadequate).

The extension on the north stand has been finished for a while. Pretty sure its permanent - in fact http://www.urbanrealm.com/news/4194/Hampden_Park%E2%80%99s_North_Stand_opens_for_Scottish_Cup_final.html

Been at Hampden (twice?) since then and never noticed that. :lol:

Hampden is ok, I just wish we had stadia that could match Wembley, Millenium (not size wise)

Be interesting to compare the Ibrox/Cp atmosphere at our 1st 2 qualifiers!

Well, yes I suppose so, but put it another way - if Hampden had been redeveloped as a rectangle then the only way Scotland could ever have hosted any Commonwealth Games again would have been by building a large new athletics stadium somewhere (as Meadowbank is now quite woefully inadequate).

Having a decent national football stadium > hosting a diddy games

Hampden is ok, I just wish we had stadia that could match Wembley, Millenium (not size wise)

A closer to the pitch stadium would be very nice. Sweden at Ibrox in 1996 was a particularly rocking atmosphere, and CP for Austria and Latvia in 97 was excellent. Hampden, complete with the blaze track bit, will be our home for the forseeable future though considering the amount of dough they've ploughed into it. Hopefully whenever we need a next generation stadium (10-15 years down the line maybe), they'll do a custom build somewhere central, Stirling or the like.

When they start returning it to it's original state they can carry on digging down and bring the stands closer to the pitch.

Or knock it down and build a better ground.

Think there's a culvert or something underneath that prevents this? We can blame said culvert if we don't qualify for some future tournament.

Whyever not size-wise??? 70,000 would be much more worthy of a National Stadium title. Firstly being the largest, secondly it might not look like it was done on the cheap. Which it was. Was always in favour of something like Strathy Park, its all irrelevant now anyway, as the roof was put on the Rangers end in, what, 1976?? And finished round the ground in 1999.

Archived