Good or bad group for Scotland?

Dryhorce

If only we had players of that standard playing regularly at that level.

Yeah, the combined talents of these Polish and Irish superstars combined to take a grand total of 5 points out of a possible 36 in games against England, Ukraine, Montenegro, Germany, Sweden and Austria in the World Cup qualifiers.

How do you begin to prepare to face opposition such as this?

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm quite optimistic about our chances in this group. Germany are a machine but can be got at. They had the 4-4 in Berlin, after being 4 up against a decent Sweden side. They also won the return fixture 5-3, so their defence isn't invulnerable.

Poland have some excellent players but they had a pretty average qualifying campaign for Brasil 2014. We also rank above them at the moment although they had no qualifiers for Euro 2012.

Southern Ireland seem in a transitional phase. A lot of their old guard have retired and while they have some good players they had a pretty meh qualifying campaign, continuing their record of never winning a qualifier against a higher ranked opponent. Germany put 9 goals past them with only an injury time Andy Keogh goal in return. O'Neill is an interesting appointment along with Roy Keane. Both have been regressing in club football but International football gives them a chance to revive their stock.

Georgia are beatable home and away, same with Gibraltar.

I've been impressed with Strachan overall, to date. He is instilling some confidence in the squad and has blooded some promising players. The big question is will we finish 2,3 or 4 in the group. Taking a leap of faith I will go for second place and automatic qualification. We seem to perform well in groups involving or heading for France.

I'm certainly not saying we don't have a chance, we just need to be realistic, we will probably finish 4th. We might finish 5th, we might finish 3rd, but 4th is the most likely.

It's effectively a group of 4. Germany will win the group and I would say it's pretty likely that they will win every game. Gibraltar will finish bottom and will almost certainly lose every game.

That leaves us, Ireland, Poland and Georgia battling for one automatic place and one play off place.

Looking at Georgian squad we appear to be far stronger than them and I would expect us to get at least 4 points from the games against them. They are definitely favourites for 5th.

The Poles had 3 players start the last Champions League Final. When was the last time we had even one player start a game of that magnitude? They are a better team than us with significantly better

players and I would fancy them to get second place.

Ireland are a team who I would say are marginally better than us at the moment. Coleman and McCarthy are first picks for Everton, we don't even have one player who is a first choice pick for any of the teams in the top 10 of the EPL. Robbie Keane maybe getting on a bit but his goal scoring record for Ireland is frightening. We simply don't have a proven international level goal scorer like him. I would predict them to finish in 3rd place.

Optimism is fine, but we need a bit of realism too. The draw could have been far kinder to us than it has been and due to this the likelihood is that we won't even make the play off place.

Yeah, the combined talents of these Polish and Irish superstars combined to take a grand total of 5 points out of a possible 36 in games against England, Ukraine, Montenegro, Germany, Sweden and Austria in the World Cup qualifiers.

How do you begin to prepare to face opposition such as this?

Not really following your points here. Are you comparing us to England, Sweden and Ukraine?

I'm certainly not saying we don't have a chance, we just need to be realistic, we will probably finish 4th. We might finish 5th, we might finish 3rd, but 4th is the most likely.

It's effectively a group of 4. Germany will win the group and I would say it's pretty likely that they will win every game. Gibraltar will finish bottom and will almost certainly lose every game.

That leaves us, Ireland, Poland and Georgia battling for one automatic place and one play off place.

Looking at Georgian squad we appear to be far stronger than them and I would expect us to get at least 4 points from the games against them. They are definitely favourites for 5th.

The Poles had 3 players start the last Champions League Final. When was the last time we had even one player start a game of that magnitude? They are a better team than us with significantly better

players and I would fancy them to get second place.

Ireland are a team who I would say are marginally better than us at the moment. Coleman and McCarthy are first picks for Everton, we don't even have one player who is a first choice pick for any of the teams in the top 10 of the EPL. Robbie Keane maybe getting on a bit but his goal scoring record for Ireland is frightening. We simply don't have a proven international level goal scorer like him. I would predict them to finish in 3rd place.

Optimism is fine, but we need a bit of realism too. The draw could have been far kinder to us than it has been and due to this the likelihood is that we won't even make the play off place.

Some very good points there Lex, ignore Poland and Ireland at your peril. Squad wise I don't think there is a much of difference between Poland Ireland and Scotland. However both Poland and Ireland have those 2 or 3 higher class player that Scotland currently doesn't have.

Not really following your points here. Are you comparing us to England, Sweden and Ukraine?

The point would be that despite having players who play for big clubs, Poland and Ireland both failed consitently when faced with any kind of decent opposition. So however impressive some of their best players might be, they're clearly not great sides.

Whilst clearly we can't compare ourselves to Germany, England, and probably even Sweden, the rest of those teams are certainly within Scotland's sphere. And the Poles and the Irish failed to beat a single one of them in the last campaign.

We dont have a John O Shea type at the back to,somebody experienced in his prime for a centre half.Who played in Europe almost every year when he was at Manure,think he is another player that would easily get in our side at the moment.Gibson in midfield was with them as well and is a good player.I think the games are winnable,famous last words maybe I know.Croatia games give me that believe and confidence,the duel for me will actually be in the dug out

We dont have a John O Shea type at the back to,somebody experienced in his prime for a centre half.Who played in Europe almost every year when he was at Manure,think he is another player that would easily get in our side at the moment.Gibson in midfield was with them as well and is a good player.I think the games are winnable,famous last words maybe I know.Croatia games give me that believe and confidence,the duel for me will actually be in the dug out

Darren Fletcher has similar experience with Man U and is a superior player to both O'Shea and Gibson.

Darren Fletcher has similar experience with Man U and is a superior player to both O'Shea and Gibson.

Tin hat on here but There really isn't much of a gulf in quality between fletcher and O'Shea. The fact that Fletcher is seen a beacon of hope for Scotland yet O'Shea is much a utility player for Ireland shows there is still a bit of a gap between the countries.

John O'Shea? f**k sake, is he the kind of player we idolize now?

And Fletcher is not a defender so saying he is a better players simply stupid.I am not idolising anybody on here just giving you a opinion.Would sooner have a guy like him at the back any day over a right back playing centre half and a young kid learning the game pin the championship.O Shea has proven himself in the champions league.Think if we win the battle in midfield we can beat them,they will find it hard to stop Snoddy if he is on a game.And creates enough for a half dozen chances for Fletcher we are bound to take one.And we keep it tight at the back again like we can

Darron Gibson the Norn Iron international?

Given that pots 2 and 3 are the important pots in terms of our qualification, the draw also could have been worse IMO.

A. Czech Republic/Turkey - Every bit as difficult, moreso IMO.

B. Belgium/Israel - One much stronger, one weaker. Possibly a better chance at 3rd.

C. Ukraine/Slovakia - Not too dissimilar. Ukraine better than Poland, Slovakia are probably a similar level to Poland/Ireland.

E. Switzerland/Slovenia - Switzerland have been good recently, but Slovenia were probably the weakest team in that pot. Possibly a better chance at 3rd.

F. Hungary/Romania - Not too dissimilar, possibly slightly weaker.

G. Sweden/Austria - Both finished above Ireland last time.

H. Croatia/Norway - We can beat both, but Croatia are better than Poland and Norway are similar to Ireland (possibly slightly weaker).

I. Denmark/Serbia - f**k that!

I'd probably prefer to be in group B, E, or F, but only marginally. It would have been a similar task whatever group we were in, and it would have been incredibly lucky to get a Hungary, Ireland/Slovenia, Israel combination. It's the fun of pot 4.

Romania beat Belgium last year and we could not get near them twice,as for Israel we know more about the Irish.I wanted Greece or Bosnia from pot one,would hav from pot two and Norway pot three.Happy enough with the draw though

Romania beat Belgium last year and we could not get near them twice,as for Israel we know more about the Irish.I wanted Greece or Bosnia from pot one,would hav from pot two and Norway pot three.Happy enough with the draw though

Romania are stronger than Hungary, beat them 3-0 at home, drew 2-2 away and finished ahead of them in qualifying. Hungary are a decent team, but not stronger than Poland or Ireland IMO.

Ireland also know more about us, as did Wales, it works both ways.

Romania are stronger than Hungary, beat them 3-0 at home, drew 2-2 away and finished ahead of them in qualifying. Hungary are a decent team, but not stronger than Poland or Ireland IMO.

Ireland also know more about us, as did Wales, it works both ways.

Cant see them knowing to much especially about our younger up and coming players,they might in fact under estimate them.And that could play right into our hands,or else they would try to buy them.Our manager has the choice to play them first though,and not wait to long like prevoius managers.Bale beat us in the Welsh games and the ref in Cardiff

Cant see them knowing to much especially about our younger up and coming players,they might in fact under estimate them.And that could play right into our hands,or else they would try to buy them.Our manager has the choice to play them first though,and not wait to long like prevoius managers.Bale beat us in the Welsh games and the ref in Cardiff

What garbage are you talking?! Ireland will know all about our squad. There are all of 1 or 2 younger players in our squad and there's no reason why Ireland won't know everything about them. And international teams can't buy players.

Oh and being shit cost us against Wales, not the ref.

What garbage are you talking?! Ireland will know all about our squad. There are all of 1 or 2 younger players in our squad and there's no reason why Ireland won't know everything about them. And international teams can't buy players.

Oh and being shit cost us against Wales, not the ref.

Wow your slow clearly was talking about when they were in club management.We have more than one or two players good enough for the squad and team,Dundee United have at least four who are going to be a lot more closer to it in a year.Some who have already been called up bye Gordon.Players that play in Scotland are players with points to prove if they get on.Who might slip the radar of these guys who were pretty much uniterested in shopping up here.You think Banna is crap though,even when his old manager compared him with Xavi.So your opinion should never be taken seriously ever again after that pish spout.We had a goal chopped off that was on side against Wales,like Macadonia got a goal that was off side in Glasgow.We had no luck in the last group.With a bit of luck this time,we can reach second place.I believe that and speaking to my Polish friends they say there manager is clueless,and management has a big part to play.Look how bad we were under Avril.

Wow your slow clearly was talking about when they were in club management.We have more than one or two players good enough for the squad and team,Dundee United have at least four who are going to be a lot more closer to it in a year.Some who have already been called up bye Gordon.Players that play in Scotland are players with points to prove if they get on.Who might slip the radar of these guys who were pretty much uniterested in shopping up here.You think Banna is crap though,even when his old manager compared him with Xavi.So your opinion should never be taken seriously ever again after that pish spout.We had a goal chopped off that was on side against Wales,like Macadonia got a goal that was off side in Glasgow.We had no luck in the last group.With a bit of luck this time,we can reach second place.I believe that and speaking to my Polish friends they say there manager is clueless,and management has a big part to play.Look how bad we were under Avril.

And when were O'Neil and Keane last in club management?

When, and indeed where, did I say Bannan was pish? Although comparisons to Xavi are ludicrous.

And you can argue all you want that we were unlucky in our last group but it's simply not true. We were pish.

I do agree with your point about good management making a difference though.

Tin hat on here but There really isn't much of a gulf in quality between fletcher and O'Shea. The fact that Fletcher is seen a beacon of hope for Scotland yet O'Shea is much a utility player for Ireland shows there is still a bit of a gap between the countries.

O'Shea is a Sunderland journeyman, let go by Man U. Fletcher is still at Man U and looks like he will return to being a crucial player for them in big games. Not really comparable IMO.

Archived