Good or bad group for Scotland?

Dryhorce

Aye but that was a team that included Arveladze. Nemsadze, Kizanishvilli and co they're all gone now so that should help

But they always seem to have good, technical teams. They keep possession well and we struggle to break them down - then we panic.

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Scotland certainly have a better squad than Ireland. They have no stand out players other than their Scotsmen.

Our record away to British sides isn't the best but we should beat them at home and maybe grab a draw over the water.

Poland will be tough. I can't see Scotland getting anything over there.

Germany will walk it, packed full of top talent as we all know. Home defeat, away defeat.

Ireland are not as good as they were but still have some good players in their squad, the likes of Shane long and McCarthey are decent. Two tough games await. Winnable though imo. Home win, away draw.

Poland, although their ranking suggests they are not that great, have some cracking players. Lewandowski is the obvious threat but we need to look out for Piszczek, Błaszczykowski and Polanski too. They have a lot of home based players but they will be a tough game. Home win, away defeat.

Georgia are no where they were when we last faced them but will be technically good and we will have to play well to win over there and should take them at home. No player really standing out or them at present as far as I know. Home win, away draw.

Gibraltar should be a six pointer altough Im sure we will make a meal of at least the away game. They drew 0 - 0 with slovakia at home in 2013, a good result although not sure what kind of a team the Slovaks had out. Home win, away win.

All in all, we are in with a shout!. A little luck and we may do it.

Think its a good draw for us, was never going to be easy being in pot 4 but i think we got as favourable as we are going to get.

Germany will piss all over everybody, so no worries there. Dont think Ireland are any better than we are. Poland are tough but if Croatia can be beaten home/away i see no reason why we cant get atleast 3 here. Gerogia are pish these days and Gibraltar are the obligatory free points pot 6 doormat.

Im hopefull at minimum we atleast get a playoff spot for finishing 3rd :)

Aye but that was a team that included Arveladze. Nemsadze, Kizanishvilli and co they're all gone now so that should help

When they beat us 2-0 in Euro 2008 qualifying neither Arveladze or Nemsadze played. Neither did Kaladze. Infact, IIRC, was their keeper not an 18-year-old or something similar playing in his first-ever international?

Anyway we've a great record of slipping-up or struggling away to lower seeds, so I'm taking nothing for granted.

When they beat us 2-0 in Euro 2008 qualifying neither Arveladze or Nemsadze played. Neither did Kaladze. Infact, IIRC, was their keeper not an 18-year-old or something similar playing in his first-ever international?

Anyway we've a great record of slipping-up or struggling away to lower seeds, so I'm taking nothing for granted.

I'm pretty sure one of their goalscorers that night was only 16 years old. It was a horrific watch.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/internationals/7032632.stm

Two 17 year olds and a 16 year old mentioned.

Scotland certainly have a better squad than Ireland. They have no stand out players other than their Scotsmen.

Our record away to British sides isn't the best but we should beat them at home and maybe grab a draw over the water.

Poland will be tough. I can't see Scotland getting anything over there.

Think we need to be looking to beat Ireland home and away if we're to have any chance of qualifying.

And fluke a late winner at home, no doubt.

Gibralter will be no mugs either. Look at the other teams on the Iberian peninsula (Spain, Portugal).

Don't be ridiculous. Gibraltar are garbage. Their geographical location is meaningless. I hope you weren't comparing them to Spain or Portugal or suggesting that they could have decent players due to being neighbours with Spain. Take a look at the last squad they had. If we lose to them it would the worst result in our history.

Gib 0-4 Pol

Geo 1-1 Ire

Ger 3-0 Sco

Ire 5-1 Gib

Sco 2-0 Geo

Pol 1-2 Ger

Ger 1-0 Ire

Gib 1-1 Geo

Pol 1-0 Sco

Geo 2-1 Pol

Ger 8-1 Gib

Sco 1-1 Ire

Sco 4-1 Gib

Geo 0-3 Ger

Ire 0-0 Pol

halfway stage

Germany 15

Poland 7

Scotland 7

Ireland 6

Georgia 5

Gibraltar 1

Pol 3-1 Geo

Ire 0-2 Sco

Gib 0-2 Ger

Geo 0-0 Sco

Ger 1-0 Pol

Gib 0-5 Ire

Pol 3-0 Gib

Ire 5-1 Geo

Sco 2-3 Ger

Going in to final DH

Ger 24

Pol 13

Ire 12

Sco 11

Geo 6

Gib 1

Two wins will guarantee a playoff spot, and qualification should the Irish slip up

Geo 5-0 Gib

Ire 1-0 Ger

Sco 2-0 Pol

glorious failure as the Irish stun Germany's second string

Ger 1-1 Geo

Gib 1-3 Sco

Pol 1-1 Ire

Second place!!!

If we win in Georgia, all the better

4 points from Gibraltar would be a great return. I think we'll take 2 however.

Just because they're new to qualifying doesn't mean they will be easy to walk over. They play good football on the continent. The non ignorant know this.

Archived