Should FIFA take the World Cup out of Qatar?

stumigoo

Is it racist to simply think that the middle East is not advanced enough as a region to be trusted with the greatest show on earth?

Would much prefer it to be in Europe, South America, Australasia, North America or the Far East.

• Replies 435
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is it racist to simply think that the middle East is not advanced enough as a region to be trusted with the greatest show on earth?

Would much prefer it to be in Europe, South America, Australasia, North America or the Far East.

Not Africa or the rest of Asia then?

From a racist point of view I'm torn. On the one hand I don't want to support the Arabs but on the other I don't want to condemn slavery.

Crying racism, I'm actually surprised I didn't see that tactic coming.

Makes some good points. It'd be funny if it wasn't so serious.

I have to say I thought the bit about "United Passions: The Movie" was a joke or some kind of ham-up. It actually saddens me that it's not. FIFA really has spent $27M dollars making a feature film about world football administration with Sepp Blatter the hero - and I'm not sure whether I should find that sinister or laughable. For anyone interested, here's the official trailer:

Makes some good points. It'd be funny if it wasn't so serious.

I have to say I thought the bit about "United Passions: The Movie" was a joke or some kind of ham-up. It actually saddens me that it's not. FIFA really has spent $27M dollars making a feature film about world football administration with Sepp Blatter the hero - and I'm not sure whether I should find that sinister or laughable. For anyone interested, here's the official trailer:

'Our Accounts are DISASTROUS!!!' is beyond parody. If that film is anything other than horrible then I'm going to be shocked.

'Our Accounts are DISASTROUS!!!' is beyond parody. If that film is anything other than horrible then I'm going to be shocked.

Part of me would go to see it for the lol factor.

But a bigger part of me wouldn't want to give Blatter the ££.

Not Africa or the rest of Asia then?

I've no moral issue with Africa holding it now and then, but where can actually host it other than RSA? Other than going back to South Africa every 20 years, I think Africa have to accept that they won't get their fair share.

Similarly I'm not sure where in Asia could have it outside of Japan and South Korea. India could be a shout, but they're more into cricket. Almost every other country is either too wee, too violent or has a maniac government.

I've no moral issue with Africa holding it now and then, but where can actually host it other than RSA? Other than going back to South Africa every 20 years, I think Africa have to accept that they won't get their fair share.

Similarly I'm not sure where in Asia could have it outside of Japan and South Korea. India could be a shout, but they're more into cricket. Almost every other country is either too wee, too violent or has a maniac government.

Outside of Europe there are still very few places which can host it (crazy situation like Qatar 2022 aside). That will be exacerbated if various madcap plans to expand to 40 countries go ahead.

North America - you're talking the USA, perhaps co-hosting with Canada. Or Mexico.

South America - you're taking Brazil. Or Argentina, perhaps with Uruguay which is my bet for WC2030. (I suspect Chile is too small to manage it now).

Africa - you're talking South Africa. (Places like Egypt, Tunisia or Morocco are surely knackered by the Arab Spring and terrorism).

Asia - you're talking Japan. South Korea. China. Or Australia. (India disinterested and struggled with a Commonwealth Games).

If 2022 stays in Qatar/Asia my guess is USA will get 2026, then centenary tournament in 2030 will go to Argentina-Uruguay. We'll then have it in Europe in 2034 and it'll go back to Asia in 2038.

I'd like to see the World Cup in somewhere like Bourkina Faso. It would be fun to see the journos having to bring their own tents, and we'd find out how FIFA's development funds have been spent. Ouagadougou is used to staging the African Film Festival, so logistics shouldn't be a problem. There's loads of flat land around for goal posts and stuff.

In terms of Asia I'm sure something like a Malaysia - Singapore or Indonesia bid could be a possibility or teetering around the edge of workability. I'm sure in 20 years time SE Asia will have stronger teams and better levels of economic development and may become potential hosts. In Africa a Morocco - Algeria bid probably wouldn't be madness either. Sub Saharan Ghana perhaps? Probably a good few years away from another sub Saharan WC. I think in the Americas Canada would be capable of a solo bid. Colombia has unfinished business having the 86 tournament taken away from them, I know they're keen but would perhaps have to team up with a neighbour and wait a few years as I imagine Argentina - Uruguay is the next destination in SA.

2022 - Stays in Qatar or ends up going to Aus

2026 - USA

2030 - Argentina/Uruguay

2034 - Have to think either England or Italy, unless it goes to an emerging nation or a joint bid

2038 - Africa or Asia. My preference would be Japan/Korea

2042 - A second African world cup, maybe held in several developing neighbouring countries.

2046 - Back to Europe again. France or Germany perhaps

2050 - Back to Brazil?

Personally I don't think one in three is enough for Europe. IMO the rotation should be

Europe

South America

Europe

RoW

So Europe gets 50%, South America gets 1 in 4, rest of the world gets 1 in 4

Algeria? I really don't see that happening anytime soon. Isn't Algeria a military dictatorship - and they had that huge terrorist attack on an oil refinery a few years ago when hundreds of Westerners got taken hostage?

If you go back a decade someone like Morocco or Tunisia could have had a chance, but all the revolutions and destabalisation of the Arab Spring and the terrorist question in the Maghreb have surely severely dented those hopes.

Algeria? I really don't see that happening anytime soon. Isn't Algeria a military dictatorship - and they had that huge terrorist attack on an oil refinery a few years ago when hundreds of Westerners got taken hostage?

If you go back a decade someone like Morocco or Tunisia could have had a chance, but all the revolutions and destabalisation of the Arab Spring and the terrorist question in the Maghreb have surely severely dented those hopes.

So basically they're African versions of Qatar?

We can pencil them in for 2026 then!

FIFA really has spent $27M dollars making a feature film about world football administration with Sepp Blatter the hero - and I'm not sure whether I should find that sinister or laughable

The film was actually only $2.7m to make but Blatter and his committee's 'consultancy fees' took the total to £27m.

Archived