top 5 favourite Junior Grounds

Roy Race

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In no particular order;

New Murrayfield Park, Blackburn United - Cos it's ours and it's better than the auld place, with lights and stuff.....

Carmuirs Park, Camelon - Feels like a proper Junior ground

Newtown Park - Bo'ness United - You can feel the history of the place, but please replace the stand!

Prestonfield, Linlithgow Rose - Top playing surface and great stand

Millfield, Haddington Athletic - A perfect ground for the smaller clubs, and in a perfect setting (and we win big there these days!)

Honourable mentions to Bathgate, Armadale, Musselburgh, Nitten and Sauchie.

have you got pictures of your old park mate.. Hopefully get thru to your new set up looks cracking

Cheers for the kind words - even you Tynie :P .

Back on topic even though I picked 5 I would give honourable mentions to a few others. Bathgate is a good set up and years ago always enjoyed my trips to Arniston. They had a good social club and a decent, loud support. Musselburgh is pretty decent as well.

I took these photos of Muirkirk's old Ladeside Park about 8 years ago. It's hard to imagine 5,000 fans around the pitch.

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/pfc/library/Muirkirk%20old%20ground?sort=4&page=1

It's hard to imagine any fans round that pitch! Looks totally in the middle of nowhere. How far from the town is it?

In an attempt to get this thread back on track, here's my favourite grounds (discounting the creamery which would obviously be my number 1 every day of the week);

Prestonfield

Bo'ness

Whitletts (even though you're quite a distance from the park)

Camelon

HoB

Not been to many West grounds, only through Scottish cup away days, but hope to put that right at some point. Special mention to Maud, easily the most quirky place I've been.

Cheers for the kind words - even you Tynie :P .

Back on topic even though I picked 5 I would give honourable mentions to a few others. Bathgate is a good set up and years ago always enjoyed my trips to Arniston. They had a good social club and a decent, loud support. Musselburgh is pretty decent as well.

Was up at Arniston a few weeks ago and it's sad to see the social club has been pulled down. A proper old fashioned junior ground.

Would have enjoyed the visit more had it not been for the result

Sauchie nice stand decent shelter for fans and social club very welcome. Arthurlie. Great atmosphere huge ground plus best junior game I seen when lochee won in Scottish on pens. Dundee north end fc. Nice set up good clubbie nice surface. Steelhead vics small club ran well excellent surroundings. Lochee harp. Old type ground with lots of history decent park

From the Juniors I've been to then :

5. Bo'ness United (went when Hearts played a testimonial years ago and the stand was up; also Bonnyrigg in Cup this season

4. Bathgate Thistle (last seasons East of Scotland Cup)

3. St Andrews United (Saturdays Cup game v Bo'ness

2. Linlithgow Rose (many a visit)

1. Newburgh (visit for Scone Thistle game this season. The Tay flowing behind, enclosed by trees and that seat behind the goal.

Had Jeanfield Swifts old ground still been there then that would be up there.

Notice a lot of posts on this thread are geographically specific. Lots of favouritism with top five coming from the old regions set up, almost as if some have not seen grounds outside their own proximity.

Notice a lot of posts on this thread are geographically specific. Lots of favouritism with top five coming from the old regions set up, almost as if some have not seen grounds outside their own proximity.

mine were spread pretty wide.. Only one guy mentioned north teams and that was thru persuasion haha.. I think a lot of folk dont tend to travel that far on here.. Most east have only mentioned one west park and that mainly been talbot.. West guys have chosen mostly west parks with couple east thrown in.. 3 east in my top ten.. Been about 15 east grounds and only a few stood out.

A lot of people probably won't have though, unless it's their team on a Junior Cup awayday. Punters that make a point of trying to visit different grounds when their team's not playing or whatever are fairly rare. I wouldn't go as far as to call them groundhoppers, as that sounds more like one of those guys who don't follow any team, but just tick off grounds.

I reckon a lot, if not the majority of Junior punters would just give the football a miss if their game was off.

I've been to countless junior grounds since the '60`s from fochabers , Maud etc up north all the way down to kello in the south including your teams ground on many occasions. The 5 I mentioned are grounds I've been to god knows how many times & nostalgia probably influenced my choices.

A lot of people probably won't have though, unless it's their team on a Junior Cup awayday. Punters that make a point of trying to visit different grounds when their team's not playing or whatever are fairly rare. I wouldn't go as far as to call them groundhoppers, as that sounds more like one of those guys who don't follow any team, but just tick off grounds.

I reckon a lot, if not the majority of Junior punters would just give the football a miss if their game was off.

i know a hell of a lot of guys that go other games if our game off and guys from other clubs around this area that take in games when off.. Just my opinion but if our game off and one on within travelling distance i would go. So would fan of the juniors.

i know a hell of a lot of guys that go other games if our game off and guys from other clubs around this area that take in games when off.. Just my opinion but if our game off and one on within travelling distance i would go. So would fan of the juniors.

I always like to try and take In a neutral game if my own teams game is off as there is nothing more depressing for me than just sitting in a pub on a Saturday afternoon.

Speaking of grounds visited I always remember prior to ourselves playing Cruden bay in the Scottish cup and our club getting a phone call from a man in Glasgow who wished to travel on our team bus to Cruden bay as it was the only junior ground in Scotland that he hadn't visited.

He asked for our team bus to pick him up in Glasgow at charing cross and we happily obliged so that he could achieve his dying wish of visiting every ground in Scotland which is some doing.

Guy looked genuinely chuffed all day and it wasn't until later that we found out that he was terminally ill with cancer at the time and that he wanted to achieve all grounds visited before he passed .

Think I've been to over 70 grounds and I've got a long way to go before I achieve what that guy did.

I always like to try and take In a neutral game if my own teams game is off as there is nothing more depressing for me than just sitting in a pub on a Saturday afternoon.Speaking of grounds visited I always remember prior to ourselves playing Cruden bay in the Scottish cup and our club getting a phone call from a man in Glasgow who wished to travel on our team bus to Cruden bay as it was the only junior ground in Scotland that he hadn't visited. He asked for our team bus to pick him up in Glasgow at charing cross and we happily obliged so that he could achieve his dying wish of visiting every ground in Scotland which is some doing.Guy looked genuinely chuffed all day and it wasn't until later that we found out that he was terminally ill with cancer at the time and that he wanted to achieve all grounds visited before he passed . Think I've been to over 70 grounds and I've got a long way to go before I achieve what that guy did.

that what its all about mate great story.. I did think you were one for going other games mate.. With working up north ave seen a few grounds but not as much been to games.. Back up that way next month so ill try catch a few more

Archived