Roy Race

of the grounds I've been to:

tinto - benburb

ravenscraig - Greenock

Saracen - ashfield

newlandsfield - pollok

millburn -vale of leven

I prefer old school grounds

since it was built I've wanted to visit the clyde gateway but haven't got round to it.

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Its all about opinions and its great how everyones opinions differ but I can think of probably another 10 grounds before I would include Petershill. Dunno if its because their old ground was so impressive and the current ground seems to lack everything that was good about the old one. Plus last time I was there I dragged ma wean along, she got an overcooked sausage roll and ma pint was totally deed!!

Another ground I love but nobody mentioned is Vale of Leven. Seen better days but theres just something about the place, all the history etc.

Its all about opinions and its great how everyones opinions differ but I can think of probably another 10 grounds before I would include Petershill. Dunno if its because their old ground was so impressive and the current ground seems to lack everything that was good about the old one. Plus last time I was there I dragged ma wean along, she got an overcooked sausage roll and ma pint was totally deed!!

Another ground I love but nobody mentioned is Vale of Leven. Seen better days but theres just something about the place, all the history etc.

only 2 grounds in the west ave not been too wishaw and forth!! out the whole of west i rate peasies new ground way down the list soulless..wind tunnel..shite beer..ball bounces everywhere,, not my cup of tea at all,, each to there own..you mentioned kello, that def be my 11th spot..shame we seem to only get sent there in weeknights tho.. jamie wire had superb website could be putting pics up but its gone now!!

Sadly for "old school" ground lovers (including myself) I think their days are numbered and the future is New Petershill Park, John Cumming Stadium, Clyde Gateway etc. These are 3 very good stadiums but just not the same as the good auld ramshackles. Not my cup of tea anyway.

jamie wire had superb website could be putting pics up but its gone now!!

There is a successor to that website in much the same format in a pinned thread at the top of this page.

Myself, I prefer the old fashioned grounds so it will be the older versions of most grounds.

Lesmahagow (sad to see the recent flooded pictures of this ground), old Petershill Park, Tinto Park (never there for an actual game but did go there for a few pints after Thistle played St. Ants nearby in 1994), Meadow Park, Townhead Park.

only 2 grounds in the west ave not been too wishaw and forth!! out the whole of west i rate peasies new ground way down the list soulless..wind tunnel..shite beer..ball bounces everywhere,, not my cup of tea at all,, each to there own..you mentioned kello, that def be my 11th spot..shame we seem to only get sent there in weeknights tho.. jamie wire had superb website could be putting pics up but its gone now!!

We were at Wishy during run to Scottish final in 86/87,won 6-0.

You been to Blantyre mate ?No been there since early 70s.Never been to St Rochs or Forth myself.

Best park ever was Muirkirk's old ground,fantastic scenery and a pitch full of holes....and a great roll and mince.No keen on any new ground ave been at prefered the Talbot when it had the old coal slag bing...and Cumnock as well.Petershill's is a pish subbuteo set up with flag poles that fall ower when its windy compared to their outstanding old park.

tough to name my top 5 but here we go

1. winton park, it is home and the games under the lights in the 90's had a amazing atmosphere

2. old petershill park, 1st big away game as a kid and you could feel the the history of the place, massive covered terrace

3. beechwood park auchinleck, again one of my 1st awaydays as a kid and the atmosphere is always there, now evolved into a fantastic ground

4. clyde gateway stadium rutherglen, it is a new ground but totally functional, good facilities and social club, pitch isnt the best

5. woodside park steelend, sad to hear that steelend have folded, you might ask why i have named it in my top 50 never mind top 5 but it was so bleak it was nice, gluepot pitch, poor pies but the folk were so welcoming and friendly also closest ground to knockhill race track whick is my home track

We were at Wishy during run to Scottish final in 86/87,won 6-0.

You been to Blantyre mate ?No been there since early 70s.Never been to St Rochs or Forth myself.

Best park ever was Muirkirk's old ground,fantastic scenery and a pitch full of holes....and a great roll and mince.No keen on any new ground ave been at prefered the Talbot when it had the old coal slag bing...and Cumnock as well.Petershill's is a pish subbuteo set up with flag poles that fall ower when its windy compared to their outstanding old park.

i must of been to wishaw then mate never missed a game that season just not got memory of it. that scottish cup run i never missed a game for definite, my mascot year,, aye been blantyres castle park..went and took there game in after work a few seasons back when our game was off.. st rochs ave been to as well,, forth is a no for sure.. liked muirkirks old park as well.. sheep herdiing haha

There is a successor to that website in much the same format in a pinned thread at the top of this page.

Myself, I prefer the old fashioned grounds so it will be the older versions of most grounds.

Lesmahagow (sad to see the recent flooded pictures of this ground), old Petershill Park, Tinto Park (never there for an actual game but did go there for a few pints after Thistle played St. Ants nearby in 1994), Meadow Park, Townhead Park.

cheers bud did not know there was new site!!

I heard Muirkirks ground was some place I've got photos on my pc of it looks like they were playing football on the side of Ben Nevis looked to be some scenery aswell but not a place for the faint hearted eh

Archived