Gary Caldwell

greenockraver

I really don't see whats the problem with him being in the squad? Maybe the team but we don't have an enrichment of centre-backs and he's vastly experienced.

Yeah, squad but not team.

That said, him and Greer as backups are both 30-odds. I'd rather have a younger backup.

The most important component part is shape. Caldwell will be able to come back into Strachan's system and look better than he really is and Strachan really likes him so take it as a given. I believe he's probably the 5th or 6th best centre-half on a par with McManus at Motherwell. I hope Strachan sees him as this and doesn't disrupt the Martin, Hanley pairing.

Squad?. Aye, if we're struggling.

First Pick as some idiots will no doubt champion? Absolutely no chance.

He's been very much overtaken during his absence by the impressive Martin/Hanley partnership. He's unlucky enough to be Scotland's favourite scapegoat, despite putting in some very fine performances for the team over his many caps. He should be, along with Berra, immediate backup for the centre half position, although if someone like John Souttar really emerges then he'll likely only have a year at most left in the squad.

In the squad - no brainer! Would be stupid not to include that experience but more importantly he is probably our 3rd choice centre half so on that basis, he absolutely deserves to be in the squad.

Agree with this, and I don't think Hanley is ready to start every game. Caldwell is a fine figure to have in the squad.

He's been very much overtaken during his absence by the impressive Martin/Hanley partnership. He's unlucky enough to be Scotland's favourite scapegoat, despite putting in some very fine performances for the team over his many caps. He should be, along with Berra, immediate backup for the centre half position, although if someone like John Souttar really emerges then he'll likely only have a year at most left in the squad.

This.... I really don't understand the negative views for Caldwell. He has been a great servant to Scotland. Yeah, he has had a few bad games for us, who hasn't? Really lads,are we that good we can dispense of a guy with his experience? Give yourselves a slap and say hello to reality. I'd have him in the squad in a heartbeat.

• 5 months later...

Plus he can play defensive midfield as well making him a given,just wish he had pace.If he did he would not be at Wigan.

Ive been hearing this for 11 years. Every time he plays there he thinks hes beckenbaur and instead boots it constantly into touch. Where did this myth start? Its been out for years

Ive been hearing this for 11 years. Every time he plays there he thinks hes beckenbaur and instead boots it constantly into touch. Where did this myth start? Its been out for years

I wouldn't pay much attention to Dryhorce, he also wanted to play Steven Fletcher Left Mid and Phil Bardsley CB.

He has been a loyal player and always tried his best but he is a limited player who is prone to lapses in concentration at the wrong time it really sums up the lack quality in this position the he has amassed the caps he has. That said we are not still not hugely blessed and should be in the squad but i would now have him behind greer who hasn't conceded an international goal.

• 4 months later...

He's a better player than Reynolds for sure, not Martin, Hanley or Greer though

Aye they were all in the last 16 of the championship and in the team that kept clean sheets against France twice oh wait hawd on

• 4 months later...

Archived