Ryan Gauld

DjembaDjemba

Any updates on the wee guy? He been playing for the first team in pre-season?

Part of the larger squad in pre-season. Played for the B side yesterday. Apparently getting good reviews "for someone his age".

Edited by banana

• 4 weeks later...

Why he is a smashing young talent with a crazy buy out fee on his skull.why should he not be involved early?

Don't get me wrong – I think it's great news, but given he's not involved in the first team at domestic level yet, I wasn't expecting him to be included in their CL squad until next season.

Edited by gtbahfm

Don't get me wrong – I think it's great news, but given he's not involved in the first team at domestic level yet, I wasn't expecting him to be included in their CL squad until next season.

Great news indeed. I'll probably tune in to Sporting's CL games now, just in case he gets a chance

• 3 months later...

Cannae get the video to work on my tablet. Is it him scoring for the sporting first team ?

He scored the first in a 4-3 win for Sporting B, a rocket of a half volley into the top corner. From what I've seen he hasn't been in the first team squad this season yet.

I had a dream the other night that he scored the winner in a 2-0 home win over someone. I'm sure it was Germany but dreams are always a little fuzzy so it could've been England (or any other team that plays in white).

Such a strange dream to have considering he was nothing to do with my club and has been out of the limelight recently.

Anyway........................

From what I've seen he hasn't been in the first team squad this season yet.

He hasn't. Has played nearly every game in the B team so far this season. Saw a post on another forum from a Portuguese Sporting fan who said he'd expect Gauld to get some time with the first team in the League Cup which starts after their winter break, as Sporting always play fringe players in it.

Bruno Aguiar saying Gauld has a way to go before he'll break into the Sporting 1st team:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/30392738

Not sure how much stock to take in his opinion though, given that he states within the article that he never watches Secunda League matches and that was the first time he had ever seen Gauld play.

Interesting to hear Sporting are monitoring Stuart Armstrong too.

The article screams of "do we know anyone that ever played in Portugal? Actually, remember that one guy who played for Hearts? I think we should ask him about Ryan Gauld". As you say, he clearly has never seen Gauld play and knows nothing about either the state of Scottish football or football in his own country.

It isn't exactly a revelation either - "young footballer must work hard to reach potential".