New Inverness Caledonian Thistle Manager

How far do we have to go to find a manager that Hibs fans liked? Mowbray?

Fenlon was dreadful. Calderwood was dreadful. Hughes did a good job but results tailed off. Mixu, by the looks of things, wasn't anything special but had Hibs playing 'the Hibs way' (IIRC the fans turned on him for a wee bit). Collins seemed like a good manager but I'm not actually sure what Hibs fans thought of him.

Did you not all hate Williamson as well?

• Replies 677
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I came on here to mock the new appointment, but I just checked up on Yogis states before I...actually there pretty decent. It may have been the cheap option, but probably the best out the cheap bag. Good luck

Fenlon was dreadful. Calderwood was dreadful. Hughes did a good job but results tailed off. Mixu, by the looks of things, wasn't anything special but had Hibs playing 'the Hibs way' (IIRC the fans turned on him for a wee bit). Collins seemed like a good manager but I'm not actually sure what Hibs fans thought of him.

We hate fucking everyone!!!!11111

Here's a post I made over six and a half years ago on John Hughes. This was from a time I attended every single game, home and away, and would think nothing of going up to Dingwall or Inverness on a Tuesday night with work the next again morning.

I have mixed feelings.

There's no denying he's done remarkably well to get us where we are just now, we don't play a boring long ball game (but more on that later) and have a good squad of great young players (Barr, Scobie, Cregg, Craig and Finnegan to name a few).

However, he has several bad points.

He has a streak of pride that I believe seriously prohibits players signing for us. We've seen players be benched, dropped and never play for us again after (allegedly) falling out with the manager, we've all heard the rumours and McBreen, McKenzie, Tiago and O'Donnell. Similarly, his "pals" seem to get a game every week regardless of form or fitness (Latapy, O'Neill and Kernaghan when they were here). It can't be good for players looking for a club to see things like this happening.

His record on signing strikers is very, very poor. True, we've seen Duffy and Stokes (and Thomson and McBreen both did a job) but we've also seen Lee, McMenamin, Xsausa, Barret, Stewart, Moutinho, Gow - who, despite a couple of them being good players, are not prolific goalscorers. Which brings me nicely to...

...We have no Plan B. Sure, we play passing football, but we are much the same as Arsenal (without the ability, obviously) in that we try to score the perfect goal all the time. We can't vary our style of play to counter teams who have learned to block us out, and that's why we can't beat teams like Aberdeen, Motherwell, Kilmarnock or St Mirren on a regular (if at all) basis. Also...

...We don't actually play good football all that often. Even in the season we steamrollered the first division, we were only brilliant up until the transfer window - then in came Kernaghan and we amazingly went to a back 5 of James (or Sharp), Hughes and Kernaghan, and played the most boring long-ball football I've ever seen. Which I wouldn't have minded had we the players in midfield or attack to deal with it! In our first season in the SPL, we took 4 points out of a possible 48 or something like that in one horrible spell. Even last season, after Stokes had left the football wasn't particularly pretty to watch - but then neither is most of the SPL.

Has he done well? Undoubtedly. Can he take us further? Remains to be seen.

Here's a post I made over six and a half years ago on John Hughes. This was from a time I attended every single game, home and away, and would think nothing of going up to Dingwall or Inverness on a Tuesday night with work the next again morning.

I have mixed feelings.

There's no denying he's done remarkably well to get us where we are just now, we don't play a boring long ball game (but more on that later) and have a good squad of great young players (Barr, Scobie, Cregg, Craig and Finnegan to name a few).

However, he has several bad points.

He has a streak of pride that I believe seriously prohibits players signing for us. We've seen players be benched, dropped and never play for us again after (allegedly) falling out with the manager, we've all heard the rumours and McBreen, McKenzie, Tiago and O'Donnell. Similarly, his "pals" seem to get a game every week regardless of form or fitness (Latapy, O'Neill and Kernaghan when they were here). It can't be good for players looking for a club to see things like this happening.

His record on signing strikers is very, very poor. True, we've seen Duffy and Stokes (and Thomson and McBreen both did a job) but we've also seen Lee, McMenamin, Xsausa, Barret, Stewart, Moutinho, Gow - who, despite a couple of them being good players, are not prolific goalscorers. Which brings me nicely to...

...We have no Plan B. Sure, we play passing football, but we are much the same as Arsenal (without the ability, obviously) in that we try to score the perfect goal all the time. We can't vary our style of play to counter teams who have learned to block us out, and that's why we can't beat teams like Aberdeen, Motherwell, Kilmarnock or St Mirren on a regular (if at all) basis. Also...

...We don't actually play good football all that often. Even in the season we steamrollered the first division, we were only brilliant up until the transfer window - then in came Kernaghan and we amazingly went to a back 5 of James (or Sharp), Hughes and Kernaghan, and played the most boring long-ball football I've ever seen. Which I wouldn't have minded had we the players in midfield or attack to deal with it! In our first season in the SPL, we took 4 points out of a possible 48 or something like that in one horrible spell. Even last season, after Stokes had left the football wasn't particularly pretty to watch - but then neither is most of the SPL.

Has he done well? Undoubtedly. Can he take us further? Remains to be seen.

They could have Sir Alex in charge but as soon as they lose a couple of games the fans would decide "it's not working" and want him out.

RE Yoda (can't seem to quote for some reason?) Spoiler for lengthy post

Fenlon was 'liked' throughout his time at Hibs. Even after the '12 cup final, he was vocally supported the next season. IIRC most of the chat at the time was questioning Hibs for sticking with him - "don't know what they see in Fenlol!!!" etc. Malmo united everyone against him. Losing 9-0, including 7-0 at home is unacceptable obvs. Once again he got more time and support but eventually lost it with more horrendous results.

Overall, he stabilised the club as only moderately rubbish ( :lol: ) after the mess that Calderwood/Hughes had left us in. Finished 7th and had us the same position next year but failed practically every time in the key matches. Once he reached a 2 year release clause, he went and we got a better manager.

Calderwood - Thought English League 2/lower League 1 signings were good enough for SPL. Once it didn't work out, he publically admitted to not wanting to be there. Had only a moderately better record than Yogi's start to the season due to a good month.

Hughes - Already covered. Total moron.

Mixu - Did okay but seemed to be having some kind of mental breakdown at that time and offered to resign quite a lot. Was well liked by Hibs support until nearer the end. In hindsight, could've been given more time.

Collins - A hero for the 2007 CIS. Resigned because of a fall-out with Petrie after he refused him more money, after possibly the worst transfer window of all time - Kerr, Gatheussi, O'Brien :lol: Had a lot going for him, other than signing players. Deserved more time but couldn't work with RP.

Mowbray - Had us 3rd-5th'ish and regularly in later stages of cups. Loved by Hibs fans.

Tl;dr: Mixu could've been given more support in hindsight. Other than that either resigned despite the fans' support or a total donkey.

Can't understand the negativity regarding the appointment. We haven't had a manager in three games and we've been undefeated. That speaks volumes about the character of the current squad. Unless he comes in and drastically changes things, which nobody would dream of, he's going to do just fine. I have full confidence in the board, i'm sure they saw something in Hughes that impressed them. Also, loving all the pant-wetting from the Hibs fans. I'm glad they've found something to laugh at other than their hilariously tragic mediocrity :lol: This time it'll work though lads...

Im sure he will be OK this season with Butcher's squad, it's next season that would worry me. No doubt ICT will again be a victim of their own success and see several cherries picked from the current squad. It's then when Hughes has to build his own squad and mould a style of play that I think you will see the issues. Hughes is an old school bully mearchant so needs to sign players (or keep those already there) that can respond to that style.

Young up and coming manager looking to make a name for himself or old school, clubless manager looking to get a foothold in the game again - I know which I would prefer.

Just interviewed on SSN where it was confirmed he is the new manager. Praised the players and their attitude and hopes to continue the good work of Terry Butcher and will seek to use his knowledge and experience of his time in England to bring in players like Butcher.

Pretty standard opening interview for a new manager.

RE Yoda (can't seem to quote for some reason?) Spoiler for lengthy post

Fenlon was 'liked' throughout his time at Hibs. Even after the '12 cup final, he was vocally supported the next season. IIRC most of the chat at the time was questioning Hibs for sticking with him - "don't know what they see in Fenlol!!!" etc. Malmo united everyone against him. Losing 9-0, including 7-0 at home is unacceptable obvs. Once again he got more time and support but eventually lost it with more horrendous results.

Overall, he stabilised the club as only moderately rubbish ( :lol: ) after the mess that Calderwood/Hughes had left us in. Finished 7th and had us the same position next year but failed practically every time in the key matches. Once he reached a 2 year release clause, he went and we got a better manager.

Calderwood - Thought English League 2/lower League 1 signings were good enough for SPL. Once it didn't work out, he publically admitted to not wanting to be there. Had only a moderately better record than Yogi's start to the season due to a good month.

Hughes - Already covered. Total moron.

Mixu - Did okay but seemed to be having some kind of mental breakdown at that time and offered to resign quite a lot. Was well liked by Hibs support until nearer the end. In hindsight, could've been given more time.

Collins - A hero for the 2007 CIS. Resigned because of a fall-out with Petrie after he refused him more money, after possibly the worst transfer window of all time - Kerr, Gatheussi, O'Brien :lol: Had a lot going for him, other than signing players. Deserved more time but couldn't work with RP.

Mowbray - Had us 3rd-5th'ish and regularly in later stages of cups. Loved by Hibs fans.

Tl;dr: Mixu could've been given more support in hindsight. Other than that either resigned despite the fans' support or a total donkey.

Interesting response. Cheers.

Watched the interview on YouTube:

GID HARD WORKING PEEPUL BEHIND THE SCENES AND IN THE CITY.

That is an astoundingly terrible appointment by ICT. Especially when you look at the candidates the could have had.

Well at least their post match press conferences will remain a bit interesting.

It wouldn't be a surprise to see him win the league cup but then screw up next season. The immediate concern will be whether or not he changes the current winning formula in an attempt to put his own mark on the team.

I remember a challenge cup final, where I had a seat pretty close to his dug out. I was surprised by quite how much he verbally abused his players on the pitch, who largely ignored him, but I'm sure would affect one or two players under his management. I don't know if that's still part of his game and that was very early on in his management career, mind you.

I remember a challenge cup final, where I had a seat pretty close to his dug out. I was surprised by quite how much he verbally abused his players on the pitch, who largely ignored him, but I'm sure would affect one or two players under his management. I don't know if that's still part of his game and that was very early on in his management career, mind you.

Definitely still happened at Hibs. Was often seen having a verbal shouting match with his players during the match. They really didnt seem to either listen or have much time for his opinion. He might well have learned as his career has gone on though.

Archived