Talbot programme sells for sixteen bangers

Dipple burn

. I'm glad folk think we should be able to pre judge our attendances, and the percentage of folk buying programmes as well. I doubt there's a single Junior club who actually makes money producing their programmes, and the game is usually about minimising loss.

It's impossible to judge the amount required. We print either 100-120 depending on the opposition. We sold out all 120 against Largs the other week when there was a much smaller crowd than there was at other matches this season when we sold only 80 odd. Ours might not be the glossiest on the go but it does make us money, we print them on site and usually on the morning of the game, so we are in a fortunate position that we know the game will be going ahead. Each copy costs 8p to produce, and sells for £1, although this year we have taken the lucky number off the front of the programme.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have a few cracking old junior programmes in the house from Rob Roy (1984 Leage Cup v Pollok) and Petershill (1985 cup quarter v Annbank and semi v Darvel) they are all hand written (very neatly I may add) and photocopied or should I say photostated as was the word in those days. Great programmes which I will treasure forever

I used to reckon that 1 in 3 through the gate would buy a programme but there's no fine art to judging it and you can't print hundreds and hope they sell as it kills your profit margins. I did once fetch £130 for a Bankies programme from 2002.

Thank God for the sanctimonious few on here who criticise everything.

I guess that was aimed at me, so to re-cap what you posted;

"The vast majority of Talbot's big game programmes, ie Junior Cup ties and Scottish Cup ties at home sell out well in advance of kick off. This in turn creates the shortage that sparks the kind of bidding war that realised £16 for the St Cuthberts programme"

So you are already aware that the vast majority of these games will sell out well in advance (your words, not mine), so my point was merely that Auchinleck should have a fair idea by now how many you're likely to sell to save poor saps having to shell out ridiculous sums of money for a programme printed the week before. I'm sure the club can afford to have a few left unsold, but happy in the knowledge that all Talbot fans got a copy. In this case, why not get more printed and sell them for 50p above cover price, everyones happy?

.....and for the benefit of the doubt, I produce a programme for all my clubs home games, we have some left overs almost every game, and we make a nice wee profit. It's not rocket science.

Some fowk are very sensitive.

Burnie, I'm obviously not the only one who's sensitive, it would seem. Nobody forces "poor saps" to shell out bucket loads of money for a programme, especially when it can be ordered online prior to the game as 50 did for the St Cuthbert's game. It's a personal choice to buy via ebay. Like me, I know you have have paid out decent sums of money for programmes to go into our own collections. What's the difference?

It's impossible to judge the amount required. We print either 100-120 depending on the opposition. We sold out all 120 against Largs the other week when there was a much smaller crowd than there was at other matches this season when we sold only 80 odd. Ours might not be the glossiest on the go but it does make us money, we print them on site and usually on the morning of the game, so we are in a fortunate position that we know the game will be going ahead. Each copy costs 8p to produce, and sells for £1, although this year we have taken the lucky number off the front of the programme.

On average, we've sold 30-40 copies a game this season, which is pretty damn good on our crowds. Only once have we sold out and that was against, Largs! in the cup. We nearly got it right, being maybe half a dozen copies short to meet demand but we got some more printed for those that wanted it. A couple of games we've been spot on, and another couple where we've had upto 10 left over.

Burnie, I'm obviously not the only one who's sensitive, it would seem. Nobody forces "poor saps" to shell out bucket loads of money for a programme, especially when it can be ordered online prior to the game as 50 did for the St Cuthbert's game. It's a personal choice to buy via ebay. Like me, I know you have have paid out decent sums of money for programmes to go into our own collections. What's the difference?

Of course it's a personal choice, but my only point is that it's a pity Talbot didn't print enough to meet the obvious demand given it happens regularly for these big games, or even run-off another 30 copies and sell them through the website afterwards. Nobody then needs to get into bidding wars for a programme that's a week old.

Check out Fran & Anna high fiving each other about their "witty" barbs.

TFW has raised a helluva lot of money for Talbot. He sells these on eBay and deals with all the postage etc that goes with it. It's guys like him who have helped Talbot to become the club they are. Get a grip, the pair a ye!

Check out Fran & Anna high fiving each other about their "witty" barbs.

TFW has raised a helluva lot of money for Talbot. He sells these on eBay and deals with all the postage etc that goes with it. It's guys like him who have helped Talbot to become the club they are. Get a grip, the pair a ye!

You've missed the point completely, but carry on.

Estimating how many to do can be a nightmare - the general rule of thumb that seems to apply to all levels of football is that one in three people at the game will buy one, but for small print runs like we do in the Juniors, it doesn't take much to skew the figures. We had a Junior Cup home game a few years ago when a load of other games were off - as a result we had a lot of neutrals show up, including a bunch of groundhoppers from down south who were hoovering up five and six at a time - despite printing what I thought was more than enough, they were sold out 15-20 minutes before kickoff...

We had one English guy show up unannounced at a game wanting to buy 15 IIRC - we were in the Central Second at the time, and I think we'd only done about 30-35 for the game! Had to tell him we had regulars who'd also want one and he could get any unsold copies at the end of the game - if punters phone ahead you can always do more, but he'd made no effort to.

Say it costs a £1 to print a copy. If Talbot were left with 20 copies then they are £20 down. I would rather be short than out of pocket. Also how can you estimate how many programmes to print? We play Broxburn this weekend, how many will be down from the East? The fact that St Cuthberts team and supporters came in the same bus I would have said 170 was a good enough guess considering Talbot and Cumnock print 200 for a local derby. It was a freak sell out and only twice this year that it has happened. With the cost of printing most Junior programmes are a labour of love rather than a money spinner. The thread was to herald the fact that somebody paid £16 for a Talbot programme. But the chuckle brothers are now making out that its Talbot's fault that the person decided to spend that kind of money.

I was a big collector for a few years and paid way over the odds for numerous programmes , programmes i knew i shouldn't have paid so much for as in the future it was odds on that they would appear online for near cover price.

But once you get the bug you just need to have certain programmes there and then and don't mind paying for them .

Classic example and not junior related but i paid 90 pounds in 2007 for a France v Scotland vip programme , the famous mcfadden goal game , I didn't mind paying that as it was worth it at the time even though only a short time later they were going for less than half.

The guy who paid the 16 quid will be happy to do so and will know the score , that it will probably turn up a lot cheaper in the future.

You do what you do to guarantee a programme.

I was a big collector for a few years and paid way over the odds for numerous programmes , programmes i knew i shouldn't have paid so much for as in the future it was odds on that they would appear online for near cover price.

But once you get the bug you just need to have certain programmes there and then and don't mind paying for them .

Classic example and not junior related but i paid 90 pounds in 2007 for a France v Scotland vip programme , the famous mcfadden goal game , I didn't mind paying that as it was worth it at the time even though only a short time later they were going for less than half.

The guy who paid the 16 quid will be happy to do so and will know the score , that it will probably turn up a lot cheaper in the future.

You do what you do to guarantee a programme.

If you had told ma granny, I'd have brought you one back for 89 quid

Say it costs a £1 to print a copy. If Talbot were left with 20 copies then they are £20 down. I would rather be short than out of pocket. Also how can you estimate how many programmes to print? We play Broxburn this weekend, how many will be down from the East? The fact that St Cuthberts team and supporters came in the same bus I would have said 170 was a good enough guess considering Talbot and Cumnock print 200 for a local derby. It was a freak sell out and only twice this year that it has happened. With the cost of printing most Junior programmes are a labour of love rather than a money spinner. The thread was to herald the fact that somebody paid £16 for a Talbot programme. But the chuckle brothers are now making out that its Talbot's fault that the person decided to spend that kind of money.

Chuckle brothers? good to see that you can argue your point without resorting to juvenile abuse.

"The vast majority of Talbot's big game programmes, ie Junior Cup ties and Scottish Cup ties at home sell out well in advance of kick off. This in turn creates the shortage that sparks the kind of bidding war that realised £16 for the St Cuthberts programme"

So if that's true shouldn't you be expecting it? We can all get caught out at times granted, so how about printing extra copies and selling them through your website or ebay at £1.50 each, ensuring everyone gets a copy without having to enter a "bidding war"? Talbot make some more money, and Talbot fans who missed out get the programme at not much above cover price.

Win win surely?

Archived