Choose your preferred team below. Close
Scotland (Default) Aberdeen Airdrie Utd Albion Rovers Alloa Athletic Annan Athletic Arbroath Ayr Utd Berwick Rangers Brechin City Celtic Clyde Cowdenbeath Dumbarton Dundee Dundee Utd Dunfermline East Fife East Stirlingshire Elgin City Falkirk Forfar Athletic Greenock Morton Hamilton Accies Hearts Hibernian Inverness Caley Kilmarnock Livingston Montrose Motherwell Partick Thistle Peterhead QoS Queens Park Raith Rovers Rangers Ross County St.Johnstone St.Mirren Stenhousemuir Stirling Albion Stranraer
Photo

Berwick vs Clyde

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
102 replies to this topic

David W

David W

The Chosen One

• Gold Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,356 posts
  • My Team:Clyde

Great three points. Berwick may have missed a ton of chances and certainly dominated possession throughout the match but until the red card it was a pretty even game and we had our share of the chances.

The red card wasn't in doubt for me unfortunately - really high and dangerous looking, even if it was unintentional. Gray's got a good touch on the ball and I've no doubt the conditions played a part in it but the referee didn't really have any option when he sees studs going onto someone's legs. That said, there was an awful sliding challenge on McColm in the first half that didn't even get a booking and a host of other abysmal decisions throughout. 

There was some great effort and defending from all players throughout the game, though after the red card I thought the space between fullback and centre half was exposed too easily (on both sides). I'd always prefer two banks of four as well when you're as bad as us at retaining possession. There was plenty of last gasp stuff late on but even in the first half both Marsh and Frances had a number of excellent blocks. I'd agree that Marsh was terrific (though he was at fault for #DL getting the chance to hit the post) but Barclay gets MotM for me. Never mind the two or three excellent saves; his handling in really poor conditions was outstanding. McColm will get my third MotM vote and would be my POTY at the moment. Capuano is a good addition for a team like ours who aim to be hard to beat. Scullion and Watt are a far better front pairing despite arguably being poorer individually than McCluskey/Daly. Don't really know why Gray ended up on the right of the midfield trio when he was decent enough centrally last week.

Berwick are a decent team but really lack width. I don't rate Gray or Ronald but they stretch the game at least. They must hate playing us :D

Can't wait for next week but we're due to lose a game now :bairn  Brilliantly competitive league so far.

25 years but not forgotten.

#DL GOAL COUNT (v Clyde): 0

Fisherowclyde

Fisherowclyde

Junior League Sub

• Gold Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 235 posts
Some great points as usual David W. But keep the faith

shawfield shed boy

shawfield shed boy

First Division Regular

• Gold Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,472 posts
Mccolm is turning into a real find,always had it just needed the confidence.. He will be another knoxy,started poor(ish) Finished a legend

Forza clyde, forever n ever

AllanGlovesBRFC

AllanGlovesBRFC

Sunday League Starter

• Gold Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
  • My Team:Berwick Rangers
Really disappointing losing at home again; considering we had enough chances to win 2 games of football. We played some decent football on the 'coo field' which has a better bounce than any 3G pitches in the league. Scrabble, Currie and Notman controlled the midfield. Once again, everyone trying to take out Lavery.
Jim Duffy is a psycho. Jamie Barclay had a good game considering he is the size of a small hippo and made some top quality saves.
Hopefully Tulloch won't be out for to much longer as I much prefer Hoskins at left back than Gielty. Good to see Owen Ronald back though.
Next week away to Peterhead, either we get hammered or we sneak a win; depends on what team turns up...

Fisherowclyde

Fisherowclyde

Junior League Sub

• Gold Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 235 posts
Well the Small Hippo has had two shut outs against your "GoodTeam" so instead of the snidey remarks regarding Jamie Barclay. Maybe you should vent you frustrations at your own strikers. I could also mention at least two Berwick players that never miss their dinner. So take it on the chin. Clyde rode their luck no doubt but won the game.
But personal attacks on an opposing player because he was outstanding against you is just sour grapes

David W

David W

The Chosen One

• Gold Members
  • 11,356 posts

Mccolm is turning into a real find,always had it just needed the confidence.. He will be another knoxy,started poor(ish) Finished a legend

Forza clyde, forever n ever

And treks up from Stranraer twice a week for training and also for games.

Clyde4life

Clyde4life

Third Division Regular

• Gold Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,397 posts

Big mccolm fan, but more impressed with his work rate this season, but his final ball has been nowhere near the quality of last year, which was at times exceptional.
You can take a horse to water, but you cant make a monkey climb a rope with a bell in both hands!

TRAFFIC CONES ARE HYPNOTIC!

sammyreidloyal

sammyreidloyal

Junior League Starter

• Gold Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 255 posts
According to the stats,Berwick had 23 shots to Clyde's 2 and 10 on goal to Clyde's 1(yes 1!) bit similar to last weeks first half against Elgin.Bit of target practice eh boys?
Wasn't there but some of the drivel coming from the gypsy army is a bit nasty,sounds a bit like the challenge that got the red card.
Duffy will be in the dog house in a a week or two.
We will be back..

In my dreams I saw Eric from Berwick....

Clyde4life

Clyde4life

Third Division Regular

• Gold Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,397 posts

Wasn't there but some of the drivel coming from the gypsy army is a bit nasty,sounds a bit like the challenge that got the red card.
Duffy will be in the dog house in a a week or two.
We will be back..

Whit?
You can take a horse to water, but you cant make a monkey climb a rope with a bell in both hands!

TRAFFIC CONES ARE HYPNOTIC!

Syd Barrett

Syd Barrett

Third Division Reserve

• Gold Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 757 posts

Whit?

He's obviously just in from the boozer.

ShawfieldAggro

ShawfieldAggro

Third Division Superstar

• Gold Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,577 posts
Drivel my arse. Not taking pish from nobodies revelling in their diddy clubs getting one over a much more important and recognized club is what it is. Prepare for a lot lot more when, not IF, WE are back....

Syd Barrett

Syd Barrett

Third Division Reserve

• Gold Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 757 posts

Drivel my arse. Not taking pish from nobodies revelling in their diddy clubs getting one over a much more important and recognized club is what it is. Prepare for a lot lot more when, not IF, WE are back....

You sound more like a Sevconian than a Clyde fan. Get a grip.

BerwickMad

BerwickMad

Golden Shoe Winner

• Gold Members
  • 12,834 posts
Haha. f**k off you little arse winnet. Aggro? Bet you were one of those kiddies who threw the bog roll about a yard after looking around for 5mins then eventually plucking up the courage.

As for the game, Clyde deserved their win. That's three league games in a row we've dominated and got zero points from. You cannot waste chances like we did, especially #DL's two awful looping headers and expect to win. Closest we got was an O'Brien header and hitting the post. When it went to 10 we started to lump it too much. We can't seem to break a team down in general play. either the midfield aren't doing their job in picking the passes or the movement up top isn't good enough. A bit of both I think.

BRFC 1881

ShawfieldAggro

ShawfieldAggro

Third Division Superstar

• Gold Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,577 posts
I've got a grip........thanks. im sure Kinning Park II can stick up for themslves, whats the need to mention them??? Guess what THAT sounds like. I suppose its alright if the disparaging remarks about us only occur when we lose, its a laugh n joke then eh. Fk em all

shawfield shed boy

shawfield shed boy

First Division Regular

• Gold Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,472 posts

Exactly, Class act and up for the cause....

I know a nice fella on stranraer board and they rated him but just lacked the belief, I reckon JD and chic have gave him it eventually and he clears loves the club and time some believed in a player who NEVER hides regards

David W

David W

The Chosen One

• Gold Members
  • 11,356 posts

Big mccolm fan, but more impressed with his work rate this season, but his final ball has been nowhere near the quality of last year, which was at times exceptional.

Maybe. He does generally put a couple of great chances on a plate for our inept strikers every game though (perfect example being Watt's two first half chances yesterday).

BullyWeeLad

BullyWeeLad

Third Division Apprentice

• Gold Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 712 posts
Why would Clyde start a rivalry with Berwick hahaha who are berwick ????

Junior League Starter

• Gold Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 359 posts

I could also mention at least two Berwick players that never miss their dinner.

I could mention 92% of the Clyde support that never miss their dinner.

ShawfieldAggro

ShawfieldAggro

Third Division Superstar

• Gold Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,577 posts
Wasnt even at the game BerwickMong, so get it roon ye....though that would probably take a while. Don't know why plamfs like yourself are getting so worked up now bout your '3 games dominated n lost', about it 'not bein good enough' etc, why is that??? Because you lost (again) to Clyde??? Dry yer eyes mate...it's only the natural order being restored.....eventually!!!

C. Muir

C. Muir

He Scores When He Wants

• Gold Members
  • 12,231 posts
This is horrible reading.

Great result though, well done to the team.

berwick-the-unbeatable

berwick-the-unbeatable

Jim Duffy's Red & White Army!

• Gold Members
  • 7,067 posts

Really disappointing result for us, was very similar to the Shire game a few weeks back, though Clyde scored later.

The red card was an absolute fucking horror challenge. Lavery was lucky to get away with no injury on that one. The scuffle afterwards was a laugh though. As has been said, I thought on numerous occasions Robbie Horn was going to knock Jim Duffy, and at one point Iain Gray out. Some Clyde fans are trying to defend it as 'careless', but for me it looked as though there was intent. If there was, he's a horrible little p***k.

Fair play to Clyde on their win. It's not their fault that we can't put away any of fucking 25 chances. Gielty's for me was the most bewildering. He somehow sneaked into the box from left back, had nobody within ten yards of him, a ball put right on his dome and still managed to balloon the header a good 5-10 yards away from the target. Ridiculous.

Jamie Barclay did play well and would deserve man of the match for the saves he made, O'Brien's header for example, but there's no getting away from the fact half of them were straight at him. There were some awful finishes yesterday. I'm not bothered about the simple passes going astray sometimes if we're still creating 25 chances in a game, but if only one or two shots of 25 are truly gonna test him, then no wonder he's gonna get a clean sheet.

For me, the worst thing that happened was when they got the red card. From that moment we initiated plan B, which was quite simply launching it up and hoping to force something, or get a chance via error. Clyde 'wanted it more' in the old footbaling cliche world, in that they won almost every single aerial dual minus a few #DL wins all game. By 80 minutes, you could take a photo with someone in our half on the ball, and you'd clearly see a line of 5 strikers marked tightly by 5 Clyde defenders, with 5 Clyde midfielders ready to sweep up their headers, which they did on a fairly regular basis.

The problem for me was that plan B was initiated too early, becoming 'active' when Clyde got their man sent off - and shouldn't have been initiated at all. When a team go down to ten men, don't play into their hands by playing them at their game. I'm sure Clyde fans will acknowledge that they're a fairly limited side, but also know that they play to their strengths. If I was a Clyde defender, I'd probably have breathed a sigh of relief that Berwick's tactics changed to long ball when they went down to ten.

Rather than punting it, I'd have liked to see more of the usual #BerwickBrand. Keep the ball, knock it about and tire the ten men of Clyde out. Eventually, as long as we're patient, they'll tire, make mistakes, be dragged out and clearer chances will be created. Launching it up, watching it drop to Lavery and him be a bit of a greedy f**k and hit it from 25 yards weakly towards Barclay every time because he's barely even had time to set himself isn't going to bother the Clyde defence too much. Having a man sent off is meant to be something a team can take advantage of, sadly we played into Clyde's hands a little.

On another note, I don't understand some of the Ducket's finest sometimes. Some of the older generation seem determined to hate our attempts to actually play football. They fucking hate it when we dare retain possession with a sideways or backwards pass, instead of going gung ho and giving it away going forward constantly. They like it when we hit plan B and start launching it hopelessly, yet when that goes wrong start going mental at anything else they can, #DL, Yano, anything. Yesterday some were annoyed that by far our most creative player, Lee Currie, dared sit deep to hit the balls in the box. If we are going to play long ball, I'd far rather our best playmaker put the highest quality of ball we have available in the box under no pressure at all, than have Devon Jacobs miscue it four times.

I have to say I'm probably happiest as a Berwick fan as I have been since 06/07. The style of football we play is attractive, the squad we have is certainly the strongest since the championship winning season. If Yano and Horny can get it all to click and start turning the dominance of games into wins, we'll be some side this season. However, the longer it takes, the worse our chances get.

That's me done ranting now I think. I was gonna end it with an attempted wind-up for Clyde fans, but after seeing some of the fucking tear gas written on here I'd be disappointed in myself if I was to be involved.

Craig Gunn and Kenny Mackay apart I don't think there is anyone else in this league who will get 15-20 goals.

We have a number of players who can chip in with goals, McAleer and Cook should get 10+ between them. McShane, Smith, Austin and Campbell should get well over 20.

#EFSuper6GoalCount - 5. 95 to go.

Fisherowclyde

Fisherowclyde

Junior League Sub

• Gold Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 235 posts

Really disappointing result for us, was very similar to the Shire game a few weeks back, though Clyde scored later.

The red card was an absolute fucking horror challenge. Lavery was lucky to get away with no injury on that one. The scuffle afterwards was a laugh though. As has been said, I thought on numerous occasions Robbie Horn was going to knock Jim Duffy, and at one point Iain Gray out. Some Clyde fans are trying to defend it as 'careless', but for me it looked as though there was intent. If there was, he's a horrible little p***k.

Fair play to Clyde on their win. It's not their fault that we can't put away any of fucking 25 chances. Gielty's for me was the most bewildering. He somehow sneaked into the box from left back, had nobody within ten yards of him, a ball put right on his dome and still managed to balloon the header a good 5-10 yards away from the target. Ridiculous.

Jamie Barclay did play well and would deserve man of the match for the saves he made, O'Brien's header for example, but there's no getting away from the fact half of them were straight at him. There were some awful finishes yesterday. I'm not bothered about the simple passes going astray sometimes if we're still creating 25 chances in a game, but if only one or two shots of 25 are truly gonna test him, then no wonder he's gonna get a clean sheet.

For me, the worst thing that happened was when they got the red card. From that moment we initiated plan B, which was quite simply launching it up and hoping to force something, or get a chance via error. Clyde 'wanted it more' in the old footbaling cliche world, in that they won almost every single aerial dual minus a few #DL wins all game. By 80 minutes, you could take a photo with someone in our half on the ball, and you'd clearly see a line of 5 strikers marked tightly by 5 Clyde defenders, with 5 Clyde midfielders ready to sweep up their headers, which they did on a fairly regular basis.

The problem for me was that plan B was initiated too early, becoming 'active' when Clyde got their man sent off - and shouldn't have been initiated at all. When a team go down to ten men, don't play into their hands by playing them at their game. I'm sure Clyde fans will acknowledge that they're a fairly limited side, but also know that they play to their strengths. If I was a Clyde defender, I'd probably have breathed a sigh of relief that Berwick's tactics changed to long ball when they went down to ten.

Rather than punting it, I'd have liked to see more of the usual #BerwickBrand. Keep the ball, knock it about and tire the ten men of Clyde out. Eventually, as long as we're patient, they'll tire, make mistakes, be dragged out and clearer chances will be created. Launching it up, watching it drop to Lavery and him be a bit of a greedy f**k and hit it from 25 yards weakly towards Barclay every time because he's barely even had time to set himself isn't going to bother the Clyde defence too much. Having a man sent off is meant to be something a team can take advantage of, sadly we played into Clyde's hands a little.

On another note, I don't understand some of the Ducket's finest sometimes. Some of the older generation seem determined to hate our attempts to actually play football. They fucking hate it when we dare retain possession with a sideways or backwards pass, instead of going gung ho and giving it away going forward constantly. They like it when we hit plan B and start launching it hopelessly, yet when that goes wrong start going mental at anything else they can, #DL, Yano, anything. Yesterday some were annoyed that by far our most creative player, Lee Currie, dared sit deep to hit the balls in the box. If we are going to play long ball, I'd far rather our best playmaker put the highest quality of ball we have available in the box under no pressure at all, than have Devon Jacobs miscue it four times.

I have to say I'm probably happiest as a Berwick fan as I have been since 06/07. The style of football we play is attractive, the squad we have is certainly the strongest since the championship winning season. If Yano and Horny can get it all to click and start turning the dominance of games into wins, we'll be some side this season. However, the longer it takes, the worse our chances get.

That's me done ranting now I think. I was gonna end it with an attempted wind-up for Clyde fans, but after seeing some of the fucking tear gas written on here I'd be disappointed in myself if I was to be involved.

great post.

ShawfieldAggro

ShawfieldAggro

Third Division Superstar

• Gold Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,577 posts
Tear gas:-D

The Clyde Man

The Clyde Man

Third Division Signing Target

• Gold Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 438 posts

Squeeky bum for most of the 2nd hauf but well done boys.

Was looking around for the Berwick supporter who usually leaves his girlfriend to run down the steps to celebrate when(if ever) they score.

Wanted to get it up him at full time but he was a ghost by that time.

Enjoyed my short time in England and now we are on our way up the league.  :thumsup2

Redcar

Redcar

• Gold Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 597 posts

Well its not all of us old farts BTU. Lumping it forward was the last thing we needed - made the same mistake last week.
But maybe thats also because our neat play doesn't work if the ball just comes bouncing back off DL's shins, or ends up on the wing with Gielty/Obrien unable to get to the touchline to deliver a dangerous cross.
Long shots and feeble headers were all we offered yesterday against an ordinary Clyde team fown to 10 men. Ony Jacobs played well (his battle with Clydes excellent no.11 was good to watch).

If we were still out there, the score would still be 0-1. We need some power up top.

Junior League Starter

• Gold Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 359 posts

Red card predicted.

8)

DeanMck

DeanMck

Junior League Sub

• Gold Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 171 posts
No doubt a hard fought victory . Berwick played the ball about well at times but more often than not a cross or a highball would be the final ball which suited us hands down. A couple of poor headers from the number 9 who must have a head of a 50p coin could of got 2 goals.
Pleased with the determination of the Clyde players which in previous seasons was missing . WE ARE GOING UP

#clydeontour

berwick-the-unbeatable

berwick-the-unbeatable

Jim Duffy's Red & White Army!

• Gold Members
  • 7,067 posts

Well its not all of us old farts BTU. Lumping it forward was the last thing we needed - made the same mistake last week.
But maybe thats also because our neat play doesn't work if the ball just comes bouncing back off DL's shins, or ends up on the wing with Gielty/Obrien unable to get to the touchline to deliver a dangerous cross.
Long shots and feeble headers were all we offered yesterday against an ordinary Clyde team fown to 10 men. Ony Jacobs played well (his battle with Clydes excellent no.11 was good to watch).

If we were still out there, the score would still be 0-1. We need some power up top.

Aye of course not, thank f**k too. You seem one of the more reasoned fans anyway, your posts on here are generally always well thought out and make some decent points as the earlier one in this topic, although they won't quite be rendered as superb until I spot a few #DL's in them.

I understand what you're saying but I don't necessarily agree with it. You say long shots and feeble headers, but to (somehow) credit #DL, O'Brien and Gielty, they all got themselves into excellent positions to get them chances, which were in the majority sitters. While the finishing was undoubtedly shocking, I don't think the problem lies in the build up as you seem to be suggesting. We're creating plenty of clear cut chances - we're just not putting them away. I don't care if they go in by head, foot or cock, as long as they go in.

The plan B is the problem for me. I really don't fancy us in 4-4-2, as it alludes to dropping Janczyk who is the key player for attack-defence balance and I really don't like our long ball tactic, because when we are dominating games like at Shire or yesterday, and we go to plan B, the team we're playing are going to be more than happy to play for the point, or in those two cases, a smash and grab. That means putting men behind the ball and defending deep. We have no real solution to that.

I personally don't have much of a solution to offer to the problem, other than a new striker, so I feel for Yano in that respect. One route I'd go down however is giving Josh Morris a bit more game time. I was a bit disappointed in the final two subs yesterday, they were put on with about 5-8 minutes left, so given no real time to make an impact.

Edit: I'm also a bit surprised to see that Clyde fan mention a lack of width again (although thankfully not suggesting we need Kevin McDonald back again). I agree with what I assume Redcar is getting at - the left wing is certainly more of a chance creator than the right, mainly because Lavery is cutting inside and hitting it every time, but overall I don't see that as our problem - as shown by the headed chances being assisted by the likes of Jacobs etc.

Edited by berwick-the-unbeatable, 20 October 2013 - 14:43.

Craig Gunn and Kenny Mackay apart I don't think there is anyone else in this league who will get 15-20 goals.

We have a number of players who can chip in with goals, McAleer and Cook should get 10+ between them. McShane, Smith, Austin and Campbell should get well over 20.

#EFSuper6GoalCount - 5. 95 to go.

Redcar

Redcar

• Gold Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 597 posts
For the sake if clarity, it is indeed the finishing that's the problem, not the build up.

Very wrong to focus on DL (oops #DL) - Lav was really naive yesterday - just can't help thinking how we'd kill off teams if we had someone like Gary Wood or indeed Elgins hero from last week.

Maybe Morris can do it. After yesterdays pathetic display in the 18 yard box he deserves a chance.

Junior League Starter

• Gold Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 359 posts

For the sake if clarity, it is indeed the finishing that's the problem, not the build up.

Maybe Morris can do it. After yesterdays pathetic display in the 18 yard box he deserves a chance.

First part of that i agree with, and lets be honest with over 20 shots thats clear for anyone to see.

Second part though I disagree with. Apart from his goal v Livi has he even had a shot on target? Everything he touches seems to fly over the bar.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users