Darren Fletcher

I didn't see the second half of the Stoke game so didn't see Fletcher make another small step to his full recovery. I hate to admit it but I actually now have a small soft spot for Man Utd. I don't have an English team, and I don't really care about the EPL, but I do want to see Scots do well, and the Moyes under fire thing at moment, coupled with Fletcher's return mean that I would like them to do well and for Fletcher to get back to his best.

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thought he sat really deep today and united won the game when he went off and Rooney took his place.

Not really a criticism but maybe he needs to get fitter before we see him as more of an attacking force?

I'm glad that he's back but let's not pretend he's better than carrick etc.

When was he ever "an attacking force"?

Apparently in his Hutchy Vale days he was never off the score sheet.

In all seriousness though he has never been an attacking midfielder and if folk consider that his appearances as a wide midfielder at Utd make him an attacking force then they are deluded.

Thought he sat really deep today and united won the game when he went off and Rooney took his place.

Not really a criticism but maybe he needs to get fitter before we see him as more of an attacking force?

I'm glad that he's back but let's not pretend he's better than carrick etc.

There'll be some up and down performances from him for a while. Main thing is Moyes trusts him and chose him to start yesterday.

Looked sharp in the last 2 games I have seen him, was a bit iffy in his first two but hes looking back to normal.

Strongest team IMO.

McGregor

Hutton ( needs a move this window though )

Martin

Hanley

Bardsley

Fletcher

Brown

Snodgrass

Morrison

Anya

Fletcher

Looked sharp in the last 2 games I have seen him, was a bit iffy in his first two but hes looking back to normal.

Strongest team IMO.

McGregor

Hutton ( needs a move this window though )

Martin

Hanley

Bardsley

Fletcher

Brown

Snodgrass

Morrison

Anya

Fletcher

As much as I like Darren Fletcher, I can't help but feel that team looks stronger when you replace him with Mulgrew. Think it would be a massive move to leave Mulgrew out completely after his recent performances for Scotland.

I would suggest:

McGregor

Bardsley

Martin

Hanley

Mulgrew

Fletcher

Brown

Snodgrass

Maloney

Anya

Fletcher

Fletcher is far more composed on the ball than Mulgrew. If he's fit and playing regularly, he's the first name on the teamsheet IMO.

Yeah me too.

I'd want Mulgrew in somewhere but he's not in the same league as Fletcher (not just literally...)

Saw him come off the bench for Man United in the cup against Sunderland and showed a bit more urgency than Carrick (who just likes to sit deep and control possession) and Cleverley (who ..just tries hard). Fletch was trying to link up with forward players and making runs into the oppositions box.

If he can do that from the start of a game instead of near the end of one then he should start for them IMO.

Saw him come off the bench for Man United in the cup against Sunderland and showed a bit more urgency than Carrick (who just likes to sit deep and control possession) and Cleverley (who ..just tries hard). Fletch was trying to link up with forward players and making runs into the oppositions box.

If he can do that from the start of a game instead of near the end of one then he should start for them IMO.

Moyes is probably wary of pushing him too hard though. That's certainly good for us. I'd rather he was like this, playing most of matches, or coming on towards the end, if Man Utd continue to be the sinking ship they currently are. He could be already fucked by the time the new qualifiers come round.

Man utd would have beaten Barcelona in the champions league final if Fletcher hadn't been suspended

Is what a boy at my work said

A lot of people ridicule this claim at Fletchers expense, at the time of the game in question Fletcher was a superb player for Utd , probably their most important player and most prolific performer

Barcelona were fantastic in the final but Utd still had Ronaldo in the side (assuming its the 2009 final your on about) and Fletcher was a huge miss for them what ever way you look at it

Archived