Lost Lanarkshire Junior League grounds

paulc

Place I was in had this open air orgy thing going on. It had the river Nethan running through it? Kinna had the feel of an old brothel.

Sheepshagging was going on everywhere.

Dunno, I quite liked it anyway.

Douglas Water however - it sucked righteous ass.

You must have enjoyed the above.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That quote actually makes sense.

Beyond the end of the world = Heaven

Tell me. Do you guys ACTUALLY break traffic lights cos theyre green, or is that just a miff?

Ive always wondered, and Ive never been fortunate enough to communicate with a self-identifying Larkhallite before now.

Tell me. Do you guys ACTUALLY break traffic lights cos theyre green, or is that just a miff?

Ive always wondered, and Ive never been fortunate enough to communicate with a self-identifying Larkhallite before now.

Auchinleck is not the end of the world, but you can see it from there.

Do not believe urban myths ( even those with a hint of truth ).

Truth is there are some dafties who like to live up to the common image of dear auld Larkie, but the truth is somewhat different.

Question- which town supplied 7 Celtic players ( including a Manager and Captain ) from 1 family, a Lisbon Lion, and countless other p layers?

Happy to have you as a guest.

I think Harthill is the closest you'll probably get in Scotland to the way people think Larkhall is (i.e. Scotland's answer to Rathcoole or the Braniel). Larkhall was a major hotbed of SNP support back in the 70s which also suggests there is more going on than the stereotype.

I think Harthill is the closest you'll probably get in Scotland to the way people think Larkhall is (i.e. Scotland's answer to Rathcoole or the Braniel). Larkhall was a major hotbed of SNP support back in the 70s which also suggests there is more going on than the stereotype.

So was Govan. I think there may have been various social cross-currents at work there, tbh.

Hopefully, this time roaund everybody'll get on board the freedom express, but of course they won't.

Do not believe urban myths ( even those with a hint of truth ).

Truth is there are some dafties who like to live up to the common image of dear auld Larkie, but the truth is somewhat different.

Question- which town supplied 7 Celtic players ( including a Manager and Captain ) from 1 family, a Lisbon Lion, and countless other p layers?

Happy to have you as a guest.

Yep - self-aggrandising dafties plus tabloid sensationalism rings true. I remember reading yr ma McStay (and presumably his bammy brother) were from Larkhall, but who was the lisbon lion?

Yep - self-aggrandising dafties plus tabloid sensationalism rings true. I remember reading yr ma McStay (and presumably his bammy brother) were from Larkhall, but who was the lisbon lion?

John Clark

John Clark- and he played for us.

The current generation of McStays were not the first to play for Celtic.

So was Govan. I think there may have been various social cross-currents at work there, tbh.

Hopefully, this time roaund everybody'll get on board the freedom express, but of course they won't.

Larkie continues to be a strong SNP town- the MSP is SNP.

And Winnie Ewing made the breakthrough here.

Remember your lot voted for Alkie- nose / Im pished / is that a brown envelope / George Foulkes.

How could you?

Larkie continues to be a strong SNP town- the MSP is SNP.

And Winnie Ewing made the breakthrough here.

Remember your lot voted for Alkie- nose / Im pished / is that a brown envelope / George Foulkes.

How could you?

He scrapped a rozzer when he was steaming,

We could relate.

John Clark- and he played for us.

The current generation of McStays were not the first to play for Celtic.

They a bit of a Larky dynasty, then?

Amazing to think that, when you hear the recieved wisdom abt Larkhall.

Just shows ye :)

Talk about coincidences!!!!.I have doing a wee bit of research into Denny Hibs recently and while going through the archives,an interesting result sprang up........

April 25th 1931 Scottish Junior league Eastern Division

Bedlay 2 Kilsyth 1

over to you John!

My own records only go back to late 30's, it could have been either Kilsyth Rangers or Kilsyth Emmett, I wasn't at a game that day in any case.

My own records only go back to late 30's, it could have been either Kilsyth Rangers or Kilsyth Emmett, I wasn't at a game that day in any case.

The 1830 s

John is the best guy in Junior football bar none. Nicer and more knowledgeable guy you could not meet. Proud to call him a friend.

They a bit of a Larky dynasty, then?

Amazing to think that, when you hear the recieved wisdom abt Larkhall.

Just shows ye :)

7 players out of 1 family including a manager and captain

John Clark, Bobby Hogg, Alan Sneddon and others too.

Not the only Larky dynasty

The McLeans

The Gibsons

The Bakers

Burnbank Swifts were a very prominent and very successful team.

Royal Albert will soon be relocating to their 3rd stadium in my lifetime.

The 1st was a Senior park, the 2nd the huge bowl that was Robert Smillie Park, complete with running track.

Burnbank Athletic are the team mentioned in the OP, the Swifts were a Juvenile team not Junior.

In the very early days of the junior grade a club called Burnbank Swifts won the Junior Cup.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scottish_Junior_Cup

According to Brian McColl's archive site they changed their name to Athletic in 1900. A team called Burnbank Swifts won the Juvenile Cup in 1970 (I think at Douglas Park?).

http://scottish-football-historical-archive.com/scottishjuveniles

Not sure if there was still a connection between the junior and juvenile teams post-WWII.

Archived