Choose your preferred team below. Close
Scotland (Default) Aberdeen Airdrie Utd Albion Rovers Alloa Athletic Annan Athletic Arbroath Ayr Utd Berwick Rangers Brechin City Celtic Clyde Cowdenbeath Dumbarton Dundee Dundee Utd Dunfermline East Fife East Stirlingshire Elgin City Falkirk Forfar Athletic Greenock Morton Hamilton Accies Hearts Hibernian Inverness Caley Kilmarnock Livingston Montrose Motherwell Partick Thistle Peterhead QoS Queens Park Raith Rovers Rangers Ross County St.Johnstone St.Mirren Stenhousemuir Stirling Albion Stranraer
Photo

St Mirren v Dundee United

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
82 replies to this topic

Granny Danger

Granny Danger

Vote YES on 18 September.

• Gold Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,415 posts
  • My Team:Dundee Utd

With Russell out and Daly struggling it will be interesting to see how we line up for this.  Can't imagine Boulding will be ready so will we give one of the young strikers a chance or possibly have an attacking trio of GMS, Gardyne and Armstrong; with Flood, Rankin and Ryan in midfield?  

With changes up front I'm not sure if it's the best time to introduce Tornstrand into the team, unless it's to release McLean to play up front.

Usually the idea of being beat by a team that has just been beaten by Dundee would be unthinkable, but with our two main strikers missing anything is possible.

Gareth_Glasgow

Gareth_Glasgow

Jim Goodwin Fan Club President

• Gold Members
  • 5,521 posts
  • My Team:St.Mirren

2-0 Saints, Isma with them both. Nice 'n' easy IMO.

Voted Best St. Maureen Poster 2012 & 2013

Gareth Glasgow is a snidey wee p***k.

peeeel

peeeel

International Call Up

• Gold Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts
  • Gamertag:peeeel1983 PS3 & Steam

Again I expect, a nice and solid performance, we have been good on the road and St.Mirren have both eyes on the cup already, I assume Danny Lennon will rotate again and will be trying to avoid injurys. I quess with the lack of fire power this will be a close game 1 or 2 goals, Im going to stick my kneck out say a 1-0 win for united  or a 0-0 draw.

Lex

Lex

Esse Est Percipi

• Platinum Members
  • 9,286 posts
  • Gamertag:Lexatar

We can certainly take heart from the beasting we gave the Terrors at Tannadice a couple of months ago.  However i imagine our team selection will continue to be heavily influenced by the forthcoming final - which is our next game after this one.  

Of course this makes it very hard to predict what kind of team we will have - it is entirely likely that Thompson and Esma will start on the bench again - and is therefore very hard to make any kind of prediction on the score.

5-4 Saints  8)

Stuart Cosgrove  20/7/13 - ' One guy I've always admired on Pie and Bovril is a St Mirren fan called Lex.  He's always in there defending St Mirren, even in the face of things that are indefensible, so good on him, i like a guy that supports his club online. '

http://www.bettertogether.net/

@lexatar

captainkev

captainkev

First Division Sub

• Gold Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,115 posts

With Russell out and Daly struggling it will be interesting to see how we line up for this.  Can't imagine Boulding will be ready so will we give one of the young strikers a chance or possibly have an attacking trio of GMS, Gardyne and Armstrong; with Flood, Rankin and Ryan in midfield?  

With changes up front I'm not sure if it's the best time to introduce Tornstrand into the team, unless it's to release McLean to play up front.

Usually the idea of being beat by a team that has just been beaten by Dundee would be unthinkable, but with our two main strikers missing anything is possible.

Oh god I'm going to be having nightmares tonight now.

In all seriousness I would be happy if we went with an attacking front three of Mackay-Steven, Gardyne and Armstrong. We'd be lacking in height and physical presence but if we don't resort to hoofing the ball up to them like we used to do back when we had Houston and Daly was out then that front three can do a bit of damage.

I have a weird feeling we'll win this one. Saints will have one eye on the cup final and their too far ahead of Dundee to seriously worry about the league.

2-0 United. Mackay-Steven and Watson getting the goals.

ArabianKnight

ArabianKnight

Third Division Superstar

• Gold Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,513 posts
  • Gamertag:EllTeeBee

Oh god I'm going to be having nightmares tonight now.

In all seriousness I would be happy if we went with an attacking front three of Mackay-Steven, Gardyne and Armstrong. We'd be lacking in height and physical presence but if we don't resort to hoofing the ball up to them like we used to do back when we had Houston and Daly was out then that front three can do a bit of damage.

I have a weird feeling we'll win this one. Saints will have one eye on the cup final and their too far ahead of Dundee to seriously worry about the league.

2-0 United. Mackay-Steven and Watson getting the goals.

Just to give you more nightmares, the new defender has played upfront before.

Imagine the scene, Tornstrad a young inexperienced defender and McLean, upfront, for us, og the fucking horror.

We could always play 4-6-0 but in the style of Barcelona not Levien.

ETA: Why the f**k are we not playing Moore in a situation like this?!!

Edited by ArabianKnight, 08 March 2013 - 00:17.

captainkev

captainkev

First Division Sub

• Gold Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,115 posts

Imagine the scene, Tornstrad a young inexperienced defender and McLean, upfront, for us, og the fucking horror.

He's on loan at Airdrie I think. Hence why we've had to go for a free agent in Boulding rather than bump someone up from our youth system.

peeeel

peeeel

International Call Up

• Gold Members
  • 3,996 posts

Was JMc not big on the kids at thistle? I quess he feels it is too early for Moore, and Given he signed a couple people, I think behind the scenes the club still have Europe in there sights, however I was not keen to see United sign either of these players now, I don't think they offer enough to justify paying them and I believe youth is the only way to stay a float as a club.

peeeel

peeeel

International Call Up

• Gold Members
  • 3,996 posts

He's on loan at Airdrie I think. Hence why we've had to go for a free agent in Boulding rather than bump someone up from our youth system.

Or this lol

ArabianKnight

ArabianKnight

Third Division Superstar

• Gold Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,513 posts
  • Gamertag:EllTeeBee

Wasn't sure if he was away on loan, last time I watched him was in an u20s game in November.

Jesus we really are short on strikers coming through the ranks then, the only other attacking player I can think of is Gauld and he's hardly a big burly forward!

peeeel

peeeel

International Call Up

• Gold Members
  • 3,996 posts

Wasn't sure if he was away on loan, last time I watched him was in an u20s game in November.

Jesus we really are short on strikers coming through the ranks then, the only other attacking player I can think of is Gauld and he's hardly a big burly forward!

Jordan Allan, decent in the air and an eye for goal/ or Bell but can't say i've seen enought to say what he is like.

Granny Danger

Granny Danger

• Gold Members
  • 12,415 posts

Whilst I would like to see us continue to bring young players through the system I have nothing but admiration for McNamara, with Stephen Thomson's obvious support, for bringing in Tornstrand and Boulding.  It shows a willingness to actually do something positive when circumstances dictate rather than just sitting around moping.

Had the squad been a bit more balanced under Houston and had we signed some back up players that weren't crocks (like Vignal), not suited to our style (like Skacel) or just not required due to strength in other areas (like Millar) then we may have been able to cope with injuries better.  BTW I think Millar could be a decent player but we didn't need to strengthen midfield as much as other positions.

If we feel we need a big player up front I wouldn't object to trying Tornstrand or McLean against St Mirren.  We can change it if its not working and we have enough quality in the team to give some service to a big striker.

Pull My Strings

Pull My Strings

SPL Signing Target

• Gold Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,776 posts

Looks like a starting spot has finally opened up for Lacny; shame it's 11 months too late.

Could be an opportunity for Robert Thomson, 20 in a couple of months and has been in the squad a few times recently.

Edited by Pull My Strings, 08 March 2013 - 08:19.

pozbaird

pozbaird

Golden Shoe Candidate

• Gold Members
  • 4,944 posts
Despite what Danny said about St Mirren having six cup finals to push for the top six, it's obvious only the League Cup final matters. Which is understandable, given Dundee are so far behind us. He has done more than tinkering in recent games, he's indulged in wholesale fcuking around. Again, his call, and I understand why he's doing it. The wholesale fcuking around with starting XIs will be forgotten and forgiven if we win at Hampden - as it should be. How often do we win one of the two major trophies we can realistically have a shot at each season?

Danny's eggs are totally in the League Cup final basket. I genuinely think if we lose the final he could find his jacket on a shoogly peg. A peg that could be replaced with two pegs that read 'Thompson and Teale'. So, for this fixture, I expect more wholesale fcuking about with our starting XI. As I posted on B&W Army, here's what I think Danny will go with...

Grant Adam (keeper)
Tommy Docherty (groundsman)
Campbell Kennedy (commercial manager)
Lee Mair (defender)
Brian Caldwell (general manager)
Conor Newton (midfield)
Kenny McLean (midfield)
Christopher Brookmyre (author)
Paisley Panda (furry mascot)
Dougie Imrie (forward)
Div MacDonald (media luvvy and baldy webmeister)

Prediction? 1-1.

I think Div will head us into a 1-0 lead from a Paisley Panda corner. With five minutes to go, Danny will make a needless substitution, and fcuks up the balance of the team when he replaces Christopher Brookmyre with Audrey Cave fae' the ticket office. Typical Lennon, and United sneak a late equaliser as a John Rankin 'squiffler' deflects off Campbell Kennedy's arse and sends Grant Adam the wrong way.

Roll on Hampden.

St Mirren • Johnstone Burgh • Newcastle United • Denver Broncos • Manly Sea Eagles.... 'til I die.

There's only one Kyle Orton, Tim Tebow, Peyton Manning.... AFC WEST CHAMPIONS 2012, 2013
, 2014

Granny Danger

Granny Danger

• Gold Members
  • 12,415 posts

Looks like a starting spot has finally opened up for Lacny; shame it's 11 months too late.

Could be an opportunity for Robert Thomson, 20 in a couple of months and has been in the squad a few times recently.

When I first read that I thought you meant he had scored 20 in a couple of months, the elation lasted for about half a second.  Might be an idea to give him a chance.

Despite what Danny said about St Mirren having six cup finals to push for the top six, it's obvious only the League Cup final matters. Which is understandable, given Dundee are so far behind us. He has done more than tinkering in recent games, he's indulged in wholesale fcuking around. Again, his call, and I understand why he's doing it. The wholesale fcuking around with starting XIs will be forgotten and forgiven if we win at Hampden - as it should be. How often do we win one of the two major trophies we can realistically have a shot at each season?

Danny's eggs are totally in the League Cup final basket. I genuinely think if we lose the final he could find his jacket on a shoogly peg. A peg that could be replaced with two pegs that read 'Thompson and Teale'. So, for this fixture, I expect more wholesale fcuking about with our starting XI. As I posted on B&W Army, here's what I think Danny will go with...

Grant Adam (keeper)
Lee Mair (defender)
Conor Newton (midfield)
Kenny McLean (midfield)
Dougie Imrie (forward)

Prediction? 1-1.

I think Div will head us into a 1-0 lead from a Paisley Panda corner. With five minutes to go, Danny will make a needless substitution, and fcuks up the balance of the team when he replaces Christopher Brookmyre with Audrey Cave fae' the ticket office. Typical Lennon, and United sneak a late equaliser as a John Rankin 'squiffler' deflects off Campbell Kennedy's arse and sends Grant Adam the wrong way.

Roll on Hampden.

That all sounds quite feasible, then I remembered that you posted things on P&B before that weren't true so I'm more sceptical now.

pozbaird

pozbaird

Golden Shoe Candidate

• Gold Members
  • 4,944 posts

When I first read that I thought you meant he had scored 20 in a couple of months, the elation lasted for about half a second.  Might be an idea to give him a chance.

That all sounds quite feasible, then I remembered that you posted things on P&B before that weren't true so I'm more sceptical now.

Who, me? Post bollocks on a forum for hit and miss comic effect?Never. Bits of that post are true. Our eggs are in one basket marked 'League Cup Final', and if we lose it to a team who are missing their captain, have sold experienced players, are fielding kids, have bagged their manager, are in financial meltdown... then Danny's jaiket' will be on an increasingly shoogly peg.

I'm not saying we are stick-on certainties to win, given Hearts 'issues' - far from it. It never, ever, pays for St Mirren fans to get a bit gallus and actually think it's a doddle - but I'm merely stating fact. Hearts DO have issues heading into this final. We'll never have a better set of circumstances again, in which to win a major trophy. At full strength, we are in good shape compared to recent previous St Mirren teams, while Hearts are considerably weaker than previous incarnations.

Put it this way, if this was a previous Hearts incarnation, Rudi Skacel would most likely single-handedly rip us a new arse... just like he always did, and just like Leigh Griffiths at Hibs does now. I am far from over-confident, but hopeful. Hopeful that we play like we did in the semi.

Genuine prediction for the Arabs game? 0-0. United have problems up front, we are in cup final mode. Could be an utter shit-fest.

St Mirren • Johnstone Burgh • Newcastle United • Denver Broncos • Manly Sea Eagles.... 'til I die.

There's only one Kyle Orton, Tim Tebow, Peyton Manning.... AFC WEST CHAMPIONS 2012, 2013
, 2014

Stu

Stu

Golden Shoe Winner

• Gold Members
  • 7,982 posts

Who, me? Post bollocks on a forum for hit and miss comic effect?Never. Bits of that post are true. Our eggs are in one basket marked 'League Cup Final', and if we lose it to a team who are missing their captain, have sold experienced players, are fielding kids, have bagged their manager, are in financial meltdown... then Danny's jaiket' will be on an increasingly shoogly peg.

I'm not saying we are stick-on certainties to win, given Hearts 'issues' - far from it. It never, ever, pays for St Mirren fans to get a bit gallus and actually think it's a doddle - but I'm merely stating fact. Hearts DO have issues heading into this final. We'll never have a better set of circumstances again, in which to win a major trophy. At full strength, we are in good shape compared to recent previous St Mirren teams, while Hearts are considerably weaker than previous incarnations.

Put it this way, if this was a previous Hearts incarnation, Rudi Skacel would most likely single-handedly rip us a new arse... just like he always did, and just like Leigh Griffiths at Hibs does now. I am far from over-confident, but hopeful. Hopeful that we play like we did in the semi.

Genuine prediction for the Arabs game? 0-0. United have problems up front, we are in cup final mode. Could be an utter shit-fest.

What about if a team can't start its best defender through injury, loses their best midfielder at half time and is reduced to nine men. Can't think of any easier circumstances in which to win a trophy. Only a bunch of idiots would waste that one.

Oh, and congratulations to Rory Boulding for marking his debut with a goal.

Granny Danger

Granny Danger

• Gold Members
  • 12,415 posts

If pozbaird promises a party at his house with free beer if St Mirren win the cup don't believe him.  He has a history of making and breaking promises of this nature.   :angry:

Mark Connolly

Mark Connolly

International Captain

• Gold Members
  • 4,414 posts

2-1 United, and the forum to have "issues" again at full time :whistle

pozbaird

pozbaird

Golden Shoe Candidate

• Gold Members
  • 4,944 posts

What about if a team can't start its best defender through injury, loses their best midfielder at half time and is reduced to nine men. Can't think of any easier circumstances in which to win a trophy. Only a bunch of idiots would waste that one.

Oh, and congratulations to Rory Boulding for marking his debut with a goal.

Stu,

I meant a better set of circumstances prior to the 90 minutes actually panning out. Prior to the 2010 final, we were facing a strong Old Firm side, and we certainly had little goal threat of our own. How many of our current first XI would need to step aside to allow a 2010 player to take their place?

Of course, as Rangers went down to 9, we had the greatest opportunity ever, and spectacularly fcuked it up. Prior to the game starting though? I think most of us simply hoped that we competed, put on a show and made a fight of it.

This is different. We may even be classed as the favourites heading into it?

, 2014

Stu

Stu

Golden Shoe Winner

• Gold Members
  • 7,982 posts

Stu,

I meant a better set of circumstances prior to the 90 minutes actually panning out. Prior to the 2010 final, we were facing a strong Old Firm side, and we certainly had little goal threat of our own. How many of our current first XI would need to step aside to allow a 2010 player to take their place?

Of course, as Rangers went down to 9, we had the greatest opportunity ever, and spectacularly fcuked it up. Prior to the game starting though? I think most of us simply hoped that we competed, put on a show and made a fight of it.

This is different. We may even be classed as the favourites heading into it?

Fair enough - and kudos for not pointing out you said "again" when those circumstances are in the past :ph34r:

rustyarabnuts

rustyarabnuts

SPL Regular

• Gold Members
  • 3,314 posts

Grant Adam (keeper)
Lee Mair (defender)
Conor Newton (midfield)
Kenny McLean (midfield)
Dougie Imrie (forward)

Prediction? 1-1.

Roll on Hampden.

if your having minor celebs such as paisley panda,my plan would be to go with......

lorraine Kelly - playing behind the forwards, with her tits oot to distract the saints defence, 

spency in goal, absolutely NOTHING will get past his hair

therefore 35-0 to utd  ;) (dont want to take away arbroaths record,I have a soft spot for them!!)

L.C. Finals 1979/80 & 1980/81 Only time I've seen United lift a Trophy!  33 years and counting.......

invergowrie arab

invergowrie arab

SPL Superstar

• Gold Members
  • 3,620 posts

Despite Moore getting in about the goals this year in the U20s I'm not too sure how far he is going to go in the game, but delighted to be proved wrong. He has the shape and style of a Jon Daly type striker who will need a good few seasons to toughen and bulk up before finding his level.

Thomson looks a much more exciting prospect.

P&B Apprentice 4 Winner !!!

P&B 6 Nations Prediction League 2014 Winner !!!

Bigmouth Strikes Again

Bigmouth Strikes Again

International Playboy.

• Gold Members
  • 11,000 posts
  • My Team:Dundee

We'll get no favours off the DAB's here. Home win.

f**k off Biggie, you're not invited.

Kerzo

Kerzo

Sunday League Starter

• Gold Members
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts

3 points is a must if we are to sneak in the top 6 and push for europe.

captainkev

captainkev

First Division Sub

• Gold Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,115 posts

Despite Moore getting in about the goals this year in the U20s I'm not too sure how far he is going to go in the game, but delighted to be proved wrong. He has the shape and style of a Jon Daly type striker who will need a good few seasons to toughen and bulk up before finding his level.

Thomson looks a much more exciting prospect.

Think Stevie Campbell (could have been someone else) said the Moore was out of contract in the summer and they wanted to see how he would do playing proper first team football, hence why he's out at Airdrie on loan. They must have real doubts about him though because at one stage it seemed liked he was scoring for fun for the under 20s, but not even making the first team bench, as far as I can remember anyway. It was quite weird there wasn't even the slightest mention of him as a future prospect throughout the season.

Saints Bevy Squad

Saints Bevy Squad

International Regular

• Gold Members
  • 4,032 posts

0-1

Rankin.

"It has been a life-long ambition of mine to play for St Mirren"
Steven Thompson (St Mirren legend).

Stu

Stu

Golden Shoe Winner

• Gold Members
  • 7,982 posts

http://www.teamtalk....cup-final-doubt

Mair out, playing Goodwin looks a risk. Slot Dummett in there, keep Carey at leftback.

If Teale and Thompson are any doubt whatsoever then leave them on the bench. Put Goncalves up top with Parkin and play Imrie or even Guy wide right.

Appreciate we slated the manager for his team selection on Wednesday but there's a difference between resting folk and playing them when they are carrying knocks - although that could of course have been behind Wednesday's line-up!

Alternatively we should stick Dougie Henshall in at the back. He's dealt with dinosaurs no problem so Jon Daly should be a doddle.

Granny Danger

Granny Danger

• Gold Members
  • 12,415 posts

We'll get no favours off the DAB's here. Home win.

F*ck sake Biggie, you're really going to have to stay off the drink.

If you think that our performance/result will in any way be effected by the impact on Dundee the you're a pisshead.

If you think Dundee has any chance of avoiding relegation you're a raging alkie.

Bigmouth Strikes Again

Bigmouth Strikes Again

International Playboy.

• Gold Members
  • 11,000 posts
  • My Team:Dundee

F*ck sake Biggie, you're really going to have to stay off the drink.

If you think that our performance/result will in any way be effected by the impact on Dundee the you're a pisshead.

If you think Dundee has any chance of avoiding relegation you're a raging alkie.

:lol:

No surrender, until its mathematically impossible. 8)

away now to crack open another Stella.

f**k off Biggie, you're not invited.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users