Choose your preferred team below. Close
Scotland (Default) Aberdeen Airdrie Utd Albion Rovers Alloa Athletic Annan Athletic Arbroath Ayr Utd Berwick Rangers Brechin City Celtic Clyde Cowdenbeath Dumbarton Dundee Dundee Utd Dunfermline East Fife East Stirlingshire Elgin City Falkirk Forfar Athletic Greenock Morton Hamilton Accies Hearts Hibernian Inverness Caley Kilmarnock Livingston Montrose Motherwell Partick Thistle Peterhead QoS Queens Park Raith Rovers Rangers Ross County St.Johnstone St.Mirren Stenhousemuir Stirling Albion Stranraer
Photo

The overhead kick - straight red card?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

Half Rice Half Chips

Half Rice Half Chips

Third Division Sub

• Gold Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,049 posts
  • My Team:Hibernian
The kicking foot is always at least chest high, mostly head high.

The player performing it has absolutely no idea whose head may or may not be in the way.

The power generated from an overhead kick could easily break an opponent's jaw/nose/cheek/skull or render an opponent unconscious. I once saw a player on the receiving end of a bicycle kick suffer a cardiac arrestin an Italian league match.

I have never seen a player red carded for doing a bicycle kick. Given all the facts listed above and in light of Nani's red card tonight for a challenge nowhere near as dangerous as a bicycle kick, is it time to make the bicycle kick a straight red card?

If you thought Nani's red was deserved tonight then I'd like to see your views on this.

Thundermonkey

Thundermonkey

Splitter!

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,075 posts
  • My Team:Falkirk

Crouch at the weekend?

Half Rice Half Chips

Half Rice Half Chips

Third Division Sub

• Gold Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,049 posts

Crouch at the weekend?

What did he get?

welshbairn

welshbairn

Golden Shoe Winner

• Gold Members
  • 9,056 posts

Attached File  nani.jpg   111.04KB   70 downloads

http://www.fifa.com/...ct_en_47379.pdf

P.S. That's a few years old, but the up to date rules are almost identical. Right click and "find" bicycle for the right bit.

http://www.fifa.com/...game_2012_e.pdf

Edited by welshbairn, 05 March 2013 - 23:29.

Now we've bent over to Westminster, any chance of a Federal Union of Cooperative Kingdoms? 

Thundermonkey

Thundermonkey

Splitter!

• Global Moderators
  • 10,075 posts

Nothing.  But he near knocked someone out.

Half Rice Half Chips

Half Rice Half Chips

Third Division Sub

• Gold Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,049 posts

Nothing.  But he near knocked someone out.

Did he even get a yellow? How can that not be a red when Nani's was?

DomDom

DomDom

The Genius.

• Gold Members
  • 23,682 posts
  • My Team:Greenock Morton

Can someone post said Crouch incident?

TAKE TO THE SEA!!!

Half Rice Half Chips

Half Rice Half Chips

Third Division Sub

• Gold Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,049 posts

nani.jpg

http://www.fifa.com/...ct_en_47379.pdf

P.S. That's a few years old, but the up to date rules are almost identical. Right click and "find" bicycle for the right bit.

http://www.fifa.com/...game_2012_e.pdf

Interesting screen shot. All bicycle kicks "prevent an opponent from playing the ball for fear of injury" - no one's going to willingly stick their head in the way - so by definition all bicycle kicks should be automatically deemed dangerous play.

Ya Bezzer!

Ya Bezzer!

SPL Sub

• Gold Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,139 posts
  • My Team:Motherwell

The player performing it has absolutely no idea whose head may or may not be in the way.

It's not about the height, it's about going in to a challenge with studs up and a straight leg.  By doing so you are purposely endangering the opponent and it's a straight red card.

You can accidentally kick some one, bash heads, etc, etc, but if you are using appropriate technique for actually shooting, tackling, heading that's fine.  That includes overhead kicks. Studs up and a straight leg is not appropriate technique for any of those and is dangerous.

It's really pretty simple.

craigkillie

craigkillie

I'm Listening

• Gold Members
  • 26,077 posts
  • My Team:Kilmarnock

I've just watched Match of the Day, and I don't think anyone could have seriously disagreed if Crouch had been sent off. He showed total disregard for the safety of Taylor and basically knocked him out cold by kicking him in the face.

There is nothing wrong with an overhead kick per se, but if you attempt it when other players are challenging for the ball then it is dangerous play. On top of that, if you end up booting someone in the face, then I think the referee would be well within his rights to send you off for serious foul play.

Edited by craigkillie, 06 March 2013 - 10:49.

welshbairn

welshbairn

Golden Shoe Winner

• Gold Members
  • 9,056 posts

Interesting screen shot. All bicycle kicks "prevent an opponent from playing the ball for fear of injury" - no one's going to willingly stick their head in the way - so by definition all bicycle kicks should be automatically deemed dangerous play.

I think the law is making an exception to the rule for bicycle kicks, ie. it's only not allowed if it directly endangers another player, not merely if it would be dangerous for him to interfere. 

Now we've bent over to Westminster, any chance of a Federal Union of Cooperative Kingdoms? 

peeeel

peeeel

International Regular

• Gold Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,043 posts
  • My Team:Dundee Utd
  • Gamertag:peeeel1983 PS3 & Steam
Ask any English man they will tell you, overhead kicks are dangerous....

deky

deky

FREEDOM!!!

• Gold Members
  • 11,134 posts
  • My Team:Motherwell
  • Gamertag:@DekyGHWF

The power generated from an overhead kick could easily break an opponent's jaw/nose/cheek/skull or render an opponent unconscious. I once saw a player on the receiving end of a bicycle kick suffer a cardiac arrestin an Italian league match.

I have never seen a player red carded for doing a bicycle kick. Given all the facts listed above and in light of Nani's red card tonight for a challenge nowhere near as dangerous as a bicycle kick, is it time to make the bicycle kick a straight red card?

If you thought Nani's red was deserved tonight then I'd like to see your views on this.

If Nani had controlled the ball before the Madrid player reached him, should Nani still be sent off?

BORN WELL, LIVE WELL, DIE WELL

Erin Go Bragh

Erin Go Bragh

Golden Shoe Winner

• Gold Members
  • 8,354 posts

If you do it in plenty of space it's fine, do it when you've no idea who is around you and it's a risk. I haven't seen the Crouch incident but I've seen him show a complete disregard for the people around him numerous times, he doesn't seem to realise how much longer his limbs are than everyone else.

Am I the only one who thought the Nani sending off wasn't a bad decision?

Better Together:

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=dTYuCvuQmrw

captain kirk

captain kirk

First Division Signing Target

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,933 posts
  • My Team:Celtic
If you get the ball its cool if you get the man its dangerous play simple.
Same if you chase a ball going out and dive studs first to get it and get the ball its fine , however if someone else was running in as well and you clipped them its dangeous play.

Edited by captain kirk, 09 March 2013 - 03:34.

The- Kincardine......Saying "f**k the Pope" is fair comment

peeeel

peeeel

International Regular

• Gold Members
  • 4,043 posts
  • My Team:Dundee Utd
  • Gamertag:peeeel1983 PS3 & Steam

If you do it in plenty of space it's fine, do it when you've no idea who is around you and it's a risk. I haven't seen the Crouch incident but I've seen him show a complete disregard for the people around him numerous times, he doesn't seem to realise how much longer his limbs are than everyone else.

Am I the only one who thought the Nani sending off wasn't a bad decision?

You and Roy Keane, to be fair it is a foul red card f**k off, harsh booking IMO, but end of the day, Man United, NANI and everyone else involved in the game should have know that European Refs are brutal and send you off at the drop of a hat, btw Manu fan, In Europe Yellow/red card, Epl yellow/warning, SPL Warning/play on, Free kick and a booking pribs

7-2

7-2

Golden Shoe Winner

• Gold Members
  • 11,338 posts
  • My Team:St.Johnstone

Given that FIFA are supposedly looking after player safety with their moves to abolish all contact between players it's ridiculous they make an exception for anything.

Apparently you can get sent off for not injuring someone in the middle of the pitch but get no sanction for booting someone in the puss in the box. It must make sense to some pen pusher in Switzerland.

Diamonds are Forever

Diamonds are Forever

International Call Up

• Gold Members
  • 3,910 posts
  • My Team:Airdrieonians

You and Roy Keane, to be fair it is a foul red card f**k off, harsh booking IMO, but end of the day, Man United, NANI and everyone else involved in the game should have know that European Refs are brutal and send you off at the drop of a hat, btw Manu fan, In Europe Yellow/red card, Epl yellow/warning, SPL Warning/play on, Free kick and a booking pribs

I take it you didn't see the West Ham v Everton game around Christmas time where Gibson and Cole were both sent-off for similar challenges. It's a complete myth that European referees are all card happy and give fouls for anything while Premiership referees allow a much more physical game. I've watched a lot less of Premiership football in the last couple of years because of referees like Lee Probert constantly stopping the game for f**k all and being completely incapable of spotting simulation. They could learn a lot from Spanish referees who allow the game to flow a lot better and aren't taken in as much by cheating. The referee in the recent Barca v Madrid game at the Nou Camp being a prime example.

Supras

Supras

Scotland does a "Gerrard"

• Gold Members
  • 19,938 posts
  • My Team:St.Mirren

And Collina. It's a correct call, there's absolutely no doubt about it. 

Probably several. But that's not really that important - a team is a team. England are a better team than Italy at present. I expect you to feel very disappointed in a couple of weeks.

To be fair supras seems like the irrelevant no more that spends his spare time eating bricks

Atletico are not potential winners of the Champions League in my opinion.They have as much chance as Milan. i.e. none.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users