Sons' sorrow

Why not at home?

I may be wrong but I think the game last year was "cancelled" and moved from Holm Park and played behind closed doors at the Rock instead because the showers were fucked at Holm park or something (Sons winning 5-1, but this may have been two years ago). We've alternated the years so away this season, home next most likely.

It was clear as day that the one area of our squad that needed strengthening was the goalkeeper position.

Hugely disappointing that this is now highly unlikely.

have to agree with you there BBPF but surely Shay is a better option than Ewings?

It was clear as day that the one area of our squad that needed strengthening was the goalkeeper position.

Hugely disappointing that this is now highly unlikely.

I'm sure that Murray identified this as a priority, hence the lack of an offer to Grindlay until now. Reading between the lines I'd guess that he has been unable to secure anyone that he regarded as a better bet. I think our two 'keepers get a wee bit of a hard time from the fans sometimes.

I'm sure that Murray identified this as a priority, hence the lack of an offer to Grindlay until now. Reading between the lines I'd guess that he has been unable to secure anyone that he regarded as a better bet. I think our two 'keepers get a wee bit of a hard time from the fans sometimes.

Grindlays offer has been on the table all along as far as I'm aware. He chose not to sign it as he was looking to be a no1 and not backup.

A bit disappointing, it was one or the other for me, not both. Is there really no better keepers available than these two? I find that hard to believe but I just hope Murray sticks with one of them this year, the constant changing last year after a mistake made by either of them didn't do the keepers or the defence any good.

The goalkeeping situation is what it is. At least we know that the players know the club, team, management and fans and won't take time to settle and we also know that we will be guaranteed plenty of high scoring games again. Both 'keepers are capable of exceptional performances, but both have their shortcomings; Grindlay's hesitancy with crosses and Ewings' occasional odd moments where he'll chuck one in for no apparent reason. Of the two, Ewings is probably the more capable shotstopper, but Grindlay is probably the more consistent. We were never going to get worldbeaters, so let's just get on with it.

As much as things were chopped and changed in the last 2/3 months of the season, I think many forget that Ewings played every game of the season up until 2nd January where he got injured in the warm up. I actually can't remember too many people having any kind of issue until after Grindlay came in and the the swapping about. I don't even remember anyone complaining about Ewings as a keeper up until that point actually. So depending on injuries etc, we should expect one to be first choice. Given a decent preseason and some confidence, both are capable in my opinion.

Have to day, Murray must see Ewings as his first choice with the way the contract signings went and going by last season.

To be honest, I'd hope that Grindlay comes back in and starts off as number 1, but that's a personal opinion. Granted both keepers on their day can be brilliant, I just think Grindlay edges it. Ewings doesn't seem too assured coming for any sort of ball or even for back passes, but again I think its a close call to pick one over the other. As stated earlier, there must be some other option and I think that's what we were all hoping for.

I've seen a fair bit of Dumbarton over the last 3 or 4 years and must admit, I think Ewings is the much better keeper.

There's no way he's much better, he may be ever so slightly better but he's just as prone to a mental lapse than Grindlay is to coming out and flapping at a cross. I just hope our experienced defence this year gives either keeper some more protection.

Who was in goals for the play-off draw away to Arbroath? Grindlay? One of the best lower-league goalkeeping performances I've ever seen.

It was Grindlay aye.