Sons' sorrow

Just reading in times that is the Sunday one not the evening one that the desire amongst the Scottish football elite for summer football is growing. Scotland is the most northerly football nation in Europe to play through the winter. Even the Germans and Russians have the sense to have long breaks in their winter.football.

Look outside just now. The weather is perfect for watching and playing the game.

Come on Scotland you know it makes sense.

So. What happens when part time players want to to on holiday in the summer when their kids are off? When does pre season take place? What happens if the sun dries out a pitch and renders it more unsafe than a frozen pitch?

How many games were called off last season because of the weather?

So. What happens when part time players want to to on holiday in the summer when their kids are off? When does pre season take place? What happens if the sun dries out a pitch and renders it more unsafe than a frozen pitch?

How many games were called off last season because of the weather?

We played all of our 36 scheduled games on the correct date. Not too many postponements overall last season.

Just reading in times that is the Sunday one not the evening one that the desire amongst the Scottish football elite for summer football is growing. Scotland is the most northerly football nation in Europe to play through the winter. Even the Germans and Russians have the sense to have long breaks in their winter.football.

Look outside just now. The weather is perfect for watching and playing the game.

Come on Scotland you know it makes sense.

The weather is perfect for so many other things too.

Was it not the same weekend we played in the cup at Dumbo that the St. Mirren game got abandoned because of rain? Not even the depths of winter.

I've seen games called off in April before because of conditions. Summer football won't help.

Was it not the same weekend we played in the cup at Dumbo that the St. Mirren game got abandoned because of rain? Not even the depths of winter.

I've seen games called off in April before because of conditions. Summer football won't help.

Well it WILL help. To claim otherwise is just silly. We've had a game off for a waterlogged pitch in August and I've seen the same in May but at the end of the day the risk is minimised by playing in the warmer season.

However, I've yet to hear anyone come up with a workable calendar for this summer football product without drastically reducing the amount of games. Unless you are going to fit a season into say April to September then it's not going to work. If your season finishes any later than October then you are likely to see Cup Finals and playoffs played in horrible weather ruining the occasion or worse still they'll actually end up postponed. Under the present number of games a season lasts roughly about 45 weeks or so. You are only talking about adding 7 weeks in the middle somewhere. Unless you are going to reduce the number of games (and therefore the income into the game) or double up the games played per week then you can only drop seven weeks from "winter". What seven? And if the answer is mostly Jan / Feb then you are effectively saying we'll finish our season with glamour games at Xmas time. No chance! If it's anything other than Jan / Feb then you are playing through the worst two months anyway.

The big clubs don't want or need summer football. It ruins their chances of getting top players in as they'll be off to World Cups and Euro Champs in the summer and they don't generally have a problem getting their games played as scheduled anyway. Neither do most lower league clubs now that 3G is with us in a big way. If the top division isn't for change then it would be completely unworkable for the lower divisions to do so as promotion / relegation would be incompatible.

This is an absolute long shot but in the photo on the website, the physio is wearing a new training jumper with the initials 'CN' on it. Physio is called Chris Horan so either it's a mistake or it belongs to one man... or should i say one beast?

Personally, I think it would be a good thing as it would take out any competition from the EPL, La Liga etc. I'm not suggesting we'd see full houses up and down the country by any means, but it might encourage people along . Also, it'd remove the element of going to a freezing cold stadium, to sit in what is more often than not poor weather. Again, it won't be 25 degree joy week in week out, but it would at least be a possibility some days.

Why is the sons sorrow thread being turned into summer football debate much of which is coming from other fans that have no interest in Dumbarton. Stop it now and lets get back to discussing potential signings and stuff more specific to Dumbarton.

This is an absolute long shot but in the photo on the website, the physio is wearing a new training jumper with the initials 'CN' on it. Physio is called Chris Horan so either it's a mistake or it belongs to one man... or should i say one beast?

Alan lithgow?

Charlie Nicholas?