Choose your preferred team below. Close
Scotland (Default) Aberdeen Airdrie Utd Albion Rovers Alloa Athletic Annan Athletic Arbroath Ayr Utd Berwick Rangers Brechin City Celtic Clyde Cowdenbeath Dumbarton Dundee Dundee Utd Dunfermline East Fife East Stirlingshire Elgin City Falkirk Forfar Athletic Greenock Morton Hamilton Accies Hearts Hibernian Inverness Caley Kilmarnock Livingston Montrose Motherwell Partick Thistle Peterhead QoS Queens Park Raith Rovers Rangers Ross County St.Johnstone St.Mirren Stenhousemuir Stirling Albion Stranraer
Photo

Rangers anti catholic policy

* * * - - 4 votes

• Please log in to reply
494 replies to this topic

THE KING

THE KING

International Regular

• Gold Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,033 posts
  • My Team:Celtic
Why do some rangers fans actually deny this ever existed.?

nexus

nexus

Third Division Sub

• Gold Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,068 posts
MO Johnstonturned Scottish football on its head when he sensationally snubbed Celtic to join Rangers in July 1989Gers' first high-profile Catholic signing in the modern era made nationwide headlines. But Terry Butcherhas revealed how Johnston was initially treated as an outcast by some of his Scottish team-mates at Ibrox.
And Rangers kitman Jimmy Bel, made sure he got the message, refusing to leave Mo's training kit outside his hotel door at their Italian pre-season base, as he did with other players.
Former club captain Tel explains in his autobiography: "It was, as far as I was concerned, a fabulous signing for the club because Mo was such a good player, while Souness had achieved his ambition of beginning to break down the sectarian barriers at Ibrox.
"Our only doubt was we knew Mo was fiercely proud of being a Celtic fan and we wondered how he would settle. We need not have worried - he was terrific.
"Next day, the club wanted the Scottish and English players to hold a press conference to tell the media what a good signing he was.
"There was no problem as far as Ray Wilkins, Chris Woods, Mark Walters, I and some others were concerned. But the Scottish players - Davie Cooper, Ian Ferguson, Ally McCoist, John Brown and the rest - declined because they had received so many calls from friends telling them not to become involved.
"Jimmy Bell didn't want to become involved at all.
"Mo roomed with Ally McCoist, as he had done for the national team, and it was Jimmy's practice to put fresh kit outside everyone's room for the next day.
"But he refused to do so for Mo, just leaving Ally's, forcing Mo to go down three flights of stairs to the kit room to fetch his gear.
"Mo did so stoicallyand without complaint. In fact, in the end he made a joke about it.
"But this was a complete upheaval for the club. Even at meal-times there were a number of Scots who would not sit with him.
"What had happened to the moral high ground claimed by Rangers?
"They always used to say it was Celtic who were intolerant and unable to cope with the mixing of religions. Wrong.
"There were no such difficulties for the English players, of course.
"All we knew was that we had signed a good player who was going to help us retain our title
Ex-Rangers Captain Terry Butcher's Biography on the bigotry at Ibrox
To the Rangers fans: "Stay and vomit in your own home, urinate in the corner of your own sitting room, fight with your own neighbours Celtic (who deserve a medal for putting up with you) and foul the streets of Glasgow. Don't come back to Barcelona, you're an embarrassment. And while we're at it, don't play in the Champions League. You're not up to scratch, either on a sporting or human level.
There are noisy supports who, even though they drink large quantities of beer, make friends. Not you lot, because you turn everywhere you go into dumps. You are undesirables."
El Mundo Deportivo Newspaper on Rangers after the Rangers game v Barcelona in the Nou Camp (Nov 07)

nexus

nexus

Third Division Sub

• Gold Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,068 posts
"The wife of a Rangers Supporters Club secretary from East Kilbride declared that she had been suffering from insomnia as a result of disturbing religious visions involving Johnston: My blood is boiling. Is Mo Johnston going to run about Ibrox with his crucifix? Ive though about nothing else all night. David Miller, General Secretary of the Rangers Supporters Association was peddling an equally hard line: I never thought in my wildest dreams that they would sign him. Why him above all? Its a sad day for Rangers. There will be a lot of people handing in their season tickets. I dont want to see a Roman Catholic at Ibrox. Rangers have always stood for one thing and the biggest majority of the support have been brought up with the idea of a true blue Rangers team. I thought they would sign a Catholic eventually, perhaps in three or four years time, but someone from the continent.
To the Rangers fans: "Stay and vomit in your own home, urinate in the corner of your own sitting room, fight with your own neighbours Celtic (who deserve a medal for putting up with you) and foul the streets of Glasgow. Don't come back to Barcelona, you're an embarrassment. And while we're at it, don't play in the Champions League. You're not up to scratch, either on a sporting or human level.
There are noisy supports who, even though they drink large quantities of beer, make friends. Not you lot, because you turn everywhere you go into dumps. You are undesirables."
El Mundo Deportivo Newspaper on Rangers after the Rangers game v Barcelona in the Nou Camp (Nov 07)

nexus

nexus

Third Division Sub

• Gold Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,068 posts
It was not until the 1960s that the burning issue of sectarianism reared its ugly head at Ibrox. A former player, Ralph Brand, made the sectarian policy at Rangers public knowledge and around this time the behaviour of Rangers fans was a real problem for the club. In 1963, Rangers fans jeered during the minutes silence for assassinated Catholic U.S. President John F. Kennedy. Then, in 1967, then vice Chairman Matt Taylor was questioned about Rangers no Catholics policy and he stated that he felt that they policy was part of our tradition....we were formed in 1873 as a Protestant boys club. To change now would lose us considerable support.
Vice-Chairman Matt Taylor of Rangers from 1960s

Enrico Annoni

Enrico Annoni

Allons-y

• Gold Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,330 posts
Posted Image

Edited by Enrico Annoni, 12 November 2012 - 16:26.

My morning commute is dreadful, and frankly, it's down to people who have an attitude like you.

sellick fans are scum to a man always have been always will be. Honestly think I'd crack a stauner if a stand housing them collapsed.

No, was given to me, and hangs on a wall in my west end pad.

av-25090.jpg?_r=0

SS-18 ICBM

SS-18 ICBM

First Division Superstar

• Gold Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,744 posts
  • My Team:Scotland

Because they like to tell lies? Posted Image

James Traynor, Director of communications of Rangers International FC, in the Daily Record, 13th June 2012:

"Rangers FC will slip into liquidation within the next couple of weeks with a new company emerging but 140 years of history, triumph and tears, will have ended. No matter how Charles Green attempts to dress it up, a newco equals a new club. When the CVA was thrown out Rangers as we know them died."

Captain_Sensible

Captain_Sensible

Golden Shoe Winner

• Gold Members
  • 14,924 posts
  • My Team:St.Mirren
Why do Celtic fans like to ignore their own club's sectarian origins?

Why do Celtic fans bury their heads in the sand to the fact that their club achieves its success by creating and exploiting sectarianism?

James Traynor, Daily Record, 13th June 2012:
"Rangers FC will slip into liquidation within the next couple of weeks with a new company emerging but 140 years of history, triumph and tears, will have ended. No matter how Charles Green attempts to dress it up, a newco equals a new club. When the CVA was thrown out Rangers as we know them died."

Stock Exchange announcement 23rd April 2013:

Rangers International Football Club plc ("Rangers", the "Group" or the "Club")

Chris-54Titles-

Chris-54Titles-

Third Division Apprentice

• Gold Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 621 posts
  • My Team:Rangers

You don't use a full stop before a question mark by the way.

Are you lot still crying about that? There's been many Catholics who have played for Rangers in recent years, get over it.

Edited by Chris-54Titles-, 12 November 2012 - 17:52.

H_B

H_B

Good Scots - Great Brits

• Gold Members
  • 47,917 posts
  • My Team:Glasgow University
Indeed.

Why do Celtic fans fail to acknowledge that Celtic was set up on a sectarian premise and only fears of being uncompetitive prompted the club to abandon a Catholic-only signing policy.

Chris-54Titles-

Chris-54Titles-

• Gold Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 621 posts
Why do Celtic not allow Protestants on their board? I'm sure big Jock wasn't allowed on to the board for this reason also.

SS-18 ICBM

SS-18 ICBM

First Division Superstar

• Gold Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,744 posts

Why do Celtic fans like to ignore their own club's sectarian origins?

Why do Celtic fans bury their heads in the sand to the fact that their club achieves its success by creating and exploiting sectarianism?

Fact: Celtic Football Club have never in its history had a sectarian signing policy and all people of all religions, creeds and origins have always been employed by the club as well as supporters of the club. Posted Image

James Traynor, Director of communications of Rangers International FC, in the Daily Record, 13th June 2012:

Chris-54Titles-

Chris-54Titles-

• Gold Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 621 posts

Fact: Celtic Football Club have never in its history had a sectarian signing policy and all people of all religions, creeds and origins have always been employed by the club as well as supporters of the club. Posted Image

So why aren't Protestants allowed on the board at Celtic though? Jock Stein wasn't allowed on the board because he was Protestant.

SS-18 ICBM

SS-18 ICBM

First Division Superstar

• Gold Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,744 posts

Why do Celtic not allow Protestants on their board? I'm sure big Jock wasn't allowed on to the board for this reason also.

Why don't you write to Celtic director Brian Wilson (Protestant) and ask him why? Posted Image

Or you could read the book that he wrote - Celtic's official centenary history (Celtic, A Century With Honour, Collins Willow 1988)

Chris-54Titles-

Chris-54Titles-

• Gold Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 621 posts

Why don't you write to Celtic director Brian Wilson (Protestant) and ask him why? Posted Image

Or you could read the book that he wrote - Celtic's official centenary history (Celtic, A Century With Honour, Collins Willow 1988)

Maybe it's not the case now, but there was certainly a time when Protestants weren't allowed on the board at Celtic.

H_B

H_B

Good Scots - Great Brits

• Gold Members
  • 47,917 posts

Fact: Celtic Football Club have never in its history had a sectarian signing policy

What was Brother Walfrid's motivation to form Celtic FC?

SS-18 ICBM

SS-18 ICBM

First Division Superstar

• Gold Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,744 posts

Maybe it's not the case now, but there was certainly a time when Protestants weren't allowed on the board at Celtic.

"Jock, if there were two players, one Catholic and one Protestant. Who would you sign?"
"The Protestant"
"Why?"
"Because I know that Rangers would never sign the Catholic"

There seems to be some notion among bigots that Stein wasn't invited to be on the Celtic board. When the fact is - He TURNED DOWN the opportunity as he wanted to manage another team and continue his coaching career. Idiots (bigots). Posted Image

Half Rice Half Chips

Half Rice Half Chips

Third Division Reserve

• Gold Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 909 posts
  • My Team:Hibernian
I do chuckle to myself when I think that the mighty Rangers (European Cups: zero) would have turned down Pele, Garrincha, Maradona, Eusebio, di Stefano and Platini in their prime because those players believed in Transubstantiation.

Edited by Half Rice Half Chips, 12 November 2012 - 18:17.

SS-18 ICBM

SS-18 ICBM

First Division Superstar

• Gold Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,744 posts

What was Brother Walfrid's motivation to form Celtic FC?

You are on the internet, i'm sure you must know how to use a search engine, surely. If you really want to know that is what you will do. Posted Image

Chris-54Titles-

Chris-54Titles-

• Gold Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 621 posts

"Jock, if there were two players, one Catholic and one Protestant. Who would you sign?"
"The Protestant"
"Why?"
"Because I know that Rangers would never sign the Catholic"

There seems to be some notion among bigots that Stein wasn't invited to be on the Celtic board. When the fact is - He TURNED DOWN the opportunity as he wanted to manage another team and continue his coaching career. Idiots (bigots). Posted Image

Why lie? Bigot.

H_B

H_B

Good Scots - Great Brits

• Gold Members
  • 47,917 posts

There seems to be some notion among bigots that Stein wasn't invited to be on the Celtic board. When the fact is - He TURNED DOWN the opportunity

Eh, lies.

He turned down the opportunity to manage Celtic pools.

Out of interest, prior to Jock Stein, how many Protestant managers had Celtic had in their history?

SS-18 ICBM

SS-18 ICBM

First Division Superstar

• Gold Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,744 posts

Why lie? Bigot.

I don't need to lie and i'm no bigot. You do, btw, i'm a protestant and you are an idiotic bigot. Posted Image

SS-18 ICBM

SS-18 ICBM

First Division Superstar

• Gold Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,744 posts

Eh, lies.

He turned down the opportunity to manage Celtic pools.

Out of interest, prior to Jock Stein, how many Protestant managers had Celtic had in their history?

You are on the internet, i'm sure you must know how to use a search engine, surely. If you really want to know that is what you will do. Posted Image

Posted Image

SS-18 ICBM

SS-18 ICBM

First Division Superstar

• Gold Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,744 posts
http://en.wikipedia....c_F.C._managers

From 1897 - 1965, Celtic only had 3 managers over the period of 68 years. What religion either of the 3 were before Stein is only important to bigots. Personally i neither know or care what religion any of the 3 were. Posted Image

nexus

nexus

Third Division Sub

• Gold Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,068 posts

Why lie? Bigot.

^deflecting

Chris-54Titles-

Chris-54Titles-

• Gold Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 621 posts

^deflecting

Here comes stupid :lol:

SS-18 ICBM

SS-18 ICBM

First Division Superstar

• Gold Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,744 posts

You know that inferiors such as Chris-0Titles are well and truly defeated when their old sectarian tax/creditor dodging cheating club is currently being liquidated as a consequence of its deeds, their new club plays in a fourth tier league and they are still deluded enough to think that it is others and not they who are stupid. Posted Image

nexus

nexus

Third Division Sub

• Gold Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,068 posts

read the stuff I posted about your club. You've got a cheek to accuse anyone of being a bigot.

Chris-54Titles-

Chris-54Titles-

• Gold Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 621 posts

You know that inferiors such as Chris-0Titles are well and truly defeated when their old sectarian tax/creditor dodging cheating club is currently being liquidated as a consequence of its deeds, their new club plays in a fourth tier league and they are still deluded enough to think that it is others and not they who are stupid. Posted Image

Still getting companies mixed up with clubs.

THE KING

THE KING

International Regular

• Gold Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,033 posts

1352745501[/url]' post='6798926']

I like they way you introduce yourself.

Enrico Annoni

Enrico Annoni

Allons-y

• Gold Members
  • 17,330 posts

So why aren't Protestants allowed on the board at Celtic though? Jock Stein wasn't allowed on the board because he was Protestant.

Ah, one of my favourite myths

Quick question, why would he be invited onto the board? How many clubs then and now practice this tradition of inviting the manager onto the board?

Celtic at the time like most clubs were owned by individual and families, It make no sense for the Kellys to invite Jock onto the board, and i'm glad he didnt. otherwise he wouldnt have got Scotland into the WC finals.

My morning commute is dreadful, and frankly, it's down to people who have an attitude like you.

sellick fans are scum to a man always have been always will be. Honestly think I'd crack a stauner if a stand housing them collapsed.

No, was given to me, and hangs on a wall in my west end pad.

av-25090.jpg?_r=0

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users